Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Off Topic Chat Sign & Digital UK 2013

• John Thomson

April 11, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I’m going down on Tuesday and leaving Thursday.

Always a good show and a chance to meet suppliers face to face all at the one time.

John

• George Elsmore

April 11, 2013 at 1:08 pm
    quote Dave n Rob Lowery:

Whose going this year?

IF YOU ARE I AINT BOTHERING :lol1:

• David Lowery

April 11, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I’m going 😀
    Your round though George *drink*

• Robert Lambie

April 11, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Ill be there the 3 days. have meetings to attend or i may have left it till next year. not that i dont think its worth going, i do! and always try… but due to FESPA happening and on for 5 days ill be doing that too as its going to be far superior.

• Nigel Pugh

April 11, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I will do the whole three days and more than likely do the whole five days at FESPA…………..please bring me food and water 😉

• Robert Lambie

April 12, 2013 at 8:34 am
    quote Nigel Pugh:

I will do the whole three days and more than likely do the whole five days at FESPA…………..please bring me food and water 😉

oh so you need food and water for the 3 & 5 days and i dont? 😉
    ill settle for beer for 3&5 days if anyone can help me! :lol1:

• Nigel Pugh

April 12, 2013 at 8:46 am
    quote Robert Lambie:

quote Nigel Pugh:

oh so you need food and water for the 3 & 5 days and i dont? 😉
    ill settle for beer for 3&5 days if anyone can help me! :lol1:

I have to stay sober for the customers………….hmmmm I may have to rethink that strategy………anyway Lambie you was sight for sore eyes after just two days last year 🙂

• Robert Lambie

April 12, 2013 at 10:01 am
    quote Nigel Pugh:

I have to stay sober for the customers………….hmmmm I may have to rethink that strategy………anyway Lambie you was sight for sore eyes after just two days last year 🙂

that was 2 days non-stop nigel… :lol1: 😉

• Martin Pearson

April 12, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Don’t you find it easier to get on with the customers when you have had as much to drink as they have Nigel :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

• Warren Beard

April 12, 2013 at 5:02 pm

We hope to be there on Wednesday but depends how busy we are, tired of working weekends to catch up so a day out isn’t idea but will definitely try.

• David Rowland

April 12, 2013 at 7:31 pm

FESPA’s on my list… i doubt i be there for sign uk

• John O'Sullivan

April 13, 2013 at 12:36 am
    quote Martin:

Don’t you find it easier to get on with the customers when you have had as much to drink as they have Nigel :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

martin, you must have been to alot of sign shows in ireland :lol1: :lol1: 😀 "lets go back to the bar and discuss this" 😮 😀

• John Wilson

April 15, 2013 at 12:32 pm
    quote Nigel Pugh:

please bring me food and water 😉

And donuts? 😮

• David Rowland

April 16, 2013 at 10:52 pm

he just seeks attention!

• John Harding

April 18, 2013 at 10:34 am

any meeting places set up or nights out planned? im going one or two nights not sure just yet

• Stafford Cox

April 18, 2013 at 11:35 am

I’m doing the duration of both Sign UK and FESPA this year too. Plus the build up and breakdown 🙄 Luckily it’s only a small stand.

• Stafford Cox

April 18, 2013 at 11:36 am
    quote Dave Rowland:

he just seeks attention!

Not popping along for a beer and a wonder around Birmingham this year then Dave? :lol1: :lol1:

• David Rowland

April 18, 2013 at 9:20 pm

we will see.. Fespa indeed but the machinery is pretty much there at the moment

• Colin Hibbitt

April 21, 2013 at 10:25 am

Going up Tuesday afternoon arrive at 5 pm – straight into Birmingham on the beer – show on Wednesday -then long drive home to Plymouth

• Unknown Member

April 26, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Guys

I will be there this year for all three days. I’m on the Roland stand alongside another couple of guys who have previously done Roland User videos.

Do come up and say Hello it really would nice so meet some of the members on this forum.

You cant miss me I’m the Indian guy with a big beard…..LOL….

Look forward to seeing you guys

James

• David Rowland

April 26, 2013 at 11:04 pm
    quote Harpreet Sahota:

Guys

I will be there this year for all three days. I’m on the Roland stand alongside another couple of guys who have previously done Roland User videos.

Do come up and say Hello it really would nice so meet some of the members on this forum.

You cant miss me I’m the Indian guy with a big beard…..LOL….

Look forward to seeing you guys

James

and in every bloody magazine and online advert1!!!!!

• Lorraine Clinch

April 29, 2013 at 11:54 am

I’m up just for the day…Wednesday.

Lorraine

• Chris Windebank

April 29, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Printer, cutter, & laminator all good so will leave it this year. maybe Fespa later on

• David Lowery

April 29, 2013 at 4:25 pm
    quote John Harding:

any meeting places set up or nights out planned? im going one or two nights not sure just yet

Usually end up in the bar outside the hall entrance at lunchtime. I’m game for a meal out in the evening if anyone has plans for somewhere near?

• Kevin Flowers

April 30, 2013 at 8:56 am

Going up tomorrow hopefully will see some of you’s there

Kev

• John Thomson

April 30, 2013 at 9:09 am

Just heading down now 😀

John

• Craig Ross

April 30, 2013 at 10:47 am

Just arrived today.. (Knew I should have got the bus! From carpark)

• Hugh Potter

April 30, 2013 at 11:52 am
    quote Chris Windebank:

Printer, cutter, & laminator all good so will leave it this year. maybe Fespa later on

I’m gonna do FESPA Chris, if ya fancy meeting up there. not sure I’ll have owt to spend but will certainly do a day or two as it’s just an hour on the train!

• Chris Windebank

April 30, 2013 at 11:56 am

Sounds like a plan. Are Mr Harding and Mr Urquhart joining us?

• John Harding

April 30, 2013 at 1:14 pm

only if theres beer and stupidity involved, I have enough sensible days 😀

• Hugh Potter

April 30, 2013 at 2:59 pm
    quote John Harding:

only if theres beer and stupidity involved, I have enough sensible days 😀

being a short train journey – that’s a given!!

• Mo Gillis-Coates

April 30, 2013 at 3:44 pm

You kidding me?… it the busiest week of the year for me….. no one can get anything done because everyone’s at the show….lol you go I cash in! (-)

• Hugh Potter

April 30, 2013 at 7:56 pm
    quote Mo Gillis-Coates:

You kidding me?… it the busiest week of the year for me….. no one can get anything done because everyone’s at the show….lol you go I cash in! (-)

Lol, maybe that’s why I’ve picked up three new customers this week already!

• John Thomson

April 30, 2013 at 9:59 pm

I had a quick walk round the show this afternoon….. Really quiet and a much smaller show than in previous years….. Lots of companies not exhibiting.

John

• John Harding

May 1, 2013 at 7:18 am

I’m on the way – my first leg is the high speed into London – train full of suits – makes me glad I do what I do and it doesn’t involve commuting 😀

• Martin Cole

May 1, 2013 at 7:25 am
    quote John Thomson:

I had a quick walk round the show this afternoon….. Really quiet and a much smaller show than in previous years….. Lots of companies not exhibiting.

John

Shame John, I think its been heading that way for years now 🙁
    It’s definitely at the wrong time of year for many signmakers.

I’ll go to Fespa as its down my neck of the woods, even though its all about print…… (sleep)

• Mo Gillis-Coates

May 1, 2013 at 7:39 am
    quote John Harding:

I’m on the way – my first leg is the high speed into London – train full of suits – makes me glad I do what I do and it doesn’t involve commuting 😀

Probably the main reason I’m doing it John….. Going up town is a novelty now lol

• John Thomson

May 1, 2013 at 9:04 am

John

• David Lowery

May 1, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Just got back from a very disapointing show. Was very busy but mainly because lots of people going round a much reduced show. Last one I will go to 🙁

• Martin Cole

May 2, 2013 at 8:18 am
    quote Dave n Rob Lowery:

Just got back from a very disapointing show. Was very busy but mainly because lots of people going round a much reduced show. Last one I will go to 🙁

That’s a shame Dave, You sure it’s not because the bar is now outside the hall 😀

Be interesting to see what others say..but don’t sound good so far.

No more trips for me then by the sounds in future years, I think I have been going on and off since 1993 ish when the Gerber Edge had just came out and was £25k to buy.

• Denise Goodfellow

May 2, 2013 at 2:38 pm

We have just returned from the NEC.

TBH I only went because I was promised dinner and wine after LOL ( the git lied, it was a subway and a coffee)(:)

My first time there, I thought it was OK, didn`t get me excited, hubby said it was smaller than last year.

I earwigged in on a couple of the lectures.

I don`t know if they already do this, but it would be good if they offer lectures on
    business advise,
    how to close a sale etc.
    How to deal with funny customers.

• John Thomson

May 2, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Back home now and on the long drive up the road I had time to consider the show.

Yes it was a smaller show than before ……..perhaps because Fespa is in the UK this year?………perhaps just because the economic downturn means having a stand was not commercially viable for many companies.

Some of the big players were not there for the first time since I started going…….some were not there yet gain…..although their staff were going round the show speaking to their customers!

Most company stands had been scaled back and were smaller I have seen before. Freebies were not being handed out as in previous years…..think I will need to buy some paper slitters this year LOL

In previous years you were stepping over digital print as printers ran full tilt spitting out perfectly printed digital media onto the floor…….this year few seemed to be printing much at all….the smell of solvent ink in the hall was far less than before……many of the printers that were printing were running slow and/or on uni directional setting to cut down on the waste of media and ink…….

Was I dissapointed this year? NO……..I spoke to plenty of suppliers/friends that I only see once a year,
    Spoke to plenty of potential suppliers, met many interesting and informative people that had I not gone I would have missed out on.
    I got a good discount on this years vehicle outlines and safety signs discs 😀

Despite the, for me , substantial cost of 3 days off work, fuel, hotel and expensive food/drink bills I will go again next year.

As always my wish list gained a few items……….the Resolute DTG T shirt printer looks good but ink at £40 for 200ml is eyewateringly expensive plus you need to pre treat the shirts……….and the little 3 axis 400mmX400mm CNC router was interesting to see running.

john

• Craig Brown

May 3, 2013 at 9:24 am
    quote John Thomson:

Back home now and on the long drive up the road I had time to consider the show.

Yes it was a smaller show than before ……..perhaps because Fespa is in the UK this year?………perhaps just because the economic downturn means having a stand was not commercially viable for many companies.

Some of the big players were not there for the first time since I started going…….some were not there yet gain…..although their staff were going round the show speaking to their customers!

Most company stands had been scaled back and were smaller I have seen before. Freebies were not being handed out as in previous years…..think I will need to buy some paper slitters this year LOL

In previous years you were stepping over digital print as printers ran full tilt spitting out perfectly printed digital media onto the floor…….this year few seemed to be printing much at all….the smell of solvent ink in the hall was far less than before……many of the printers that were printing were running slow and/or on uni directional setting to cut down on the waste of media and ink…….

Was I dissapointed this year? NO……..I spoke to plenty of suppliers/friends that I only see once a year,
    Spoke to plenty of potential suppliers, met many interesting and informative people that had I not gone I would have missed out on.
    I got a good discount on this years vehicle outlines and safety signs discs 😀

Despite the, for me , substantial cost of 3 days off work, fuel, hotel and expensive food/drink bills I will go again next year.

As always my wish list gained a few items……….the Resolute DTG T shirt printer looks good but ink at £40 for 200ml is eyewateringly expensive plus you need to pre treat the shirts……….and the little 3 axis 400mmX400mm CNC router was interesting to see running.

john

A very fair and balanced view…and not a million miles from my take on the show

• John Harding

May 3, 2013 at 9:50 am

I thought the show was fine small yes compared to 10 years ago but not greatly different than previous years, and the emphasis away from the digital is a good thing imho – met up with some faces old and new bought some stuff so all in all worth attending and would go again.

john 😀

• Lorraine Clinch

May 3, 2013 at 10:09 am

My biggest disappointment was not seeing any colleagues, don’t know why but the only familiar face I saw was Robs, and that was for a second as we passed him whilst he was on his phone!
    On the other hand I was very happy to come away having ordered a new printer. There were some cracking deals to be done, and I am very happy with the one I did :funky: :lol1:

• Derek Heron

May 3, 2013 at 10:50 am
    quote Lorraine Clinch:

My biggest disappointment was not seeing any colleagues, don’t know why but the only familiar face I saw was Robs, and that was for a second as we passed him whilst he was on his phone!
    On the other hand I was very happy to come away having ordered a new printer. There were some cracking deals to be done, and I am very happy with the one I did :funky: :lol1:

go on then what have you bought

derek

• Harry Cleary

May 3, 2013 at 10:59 am

It’s 3 years since I have been, I think.
    Any of those nice girls in the nightclub asking for me? Just wondering. 😳

• Lorraine Clinch

May 3, 2013 at 11:46 am
    quote Derek Heron:

go on then what have you bought

derek

Lol Derek, I know, I’m showing off, but so excited! Got a super trade-in price against my SP 300, getting an SP540i, they threw in a laminator and no end of goodies, brought the true cost down by a lot.

I have been aware for a while that my printer, whilst good, is getting on, and it could become a lead weight before long, so bailing out whilst the going is good, as it were.

I did look at the white/metallic ink printers etc, but it would have been a case of having the extra’s ‘for the sake of it’, so kept my sensible head on. 😕

Lorraine

• Derek Heron

May 3, 2013 at 1:17 pm

great stuff
    them big rolls of vinyl are bloody heavy
    who was doing the good deals
    my cadet could do with an upgrade

derek

• Lorraine Clinch

May 3, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Derek, it was Redacal, http://www.radecalmachinesales.com

I’ll PM you.

The size (weight) of the rolls is what bothers me! I’ll just have to get exercising 🙄

• Derek Heron

May 3, 2013 at 2:32 pm

thanks for info lorraine
    they are about 10 mile from me
    ile give them a visit
    derek

• John Harding

May 3, 2013 at 4:52 pm
    quote :

It’s 3 years since I have been, I think.
    Any of those nice girls in the nightclub asking for me? Just wondering.

Actually yes but Im not sure about your idea of "nice" 😮