Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions General Printing Topics SC500EX or the SC540 What should we keep / buy

• SC500EX or the SC540 What should we keep / buy

Posted by Tim Knight on June 4, 2004 at 6:56 am

Hi All,

After much discussion regarding ink adhesion with the Ecosol inks
    We have decided to purchase a laminator and laminate most of our prints.
    We are using ORACAL orajet 3651 with great results but you can still
    rub and scratch the print like most of the medias we try. Unfotunately
    this was not really acceptable to us. Unless we went full solvent.
    The supplier of our machine as offered us to replace our sc500 with a new
    sc540 for a great price to ease our dissappoint and since we have to buy a laminator. My question is the you guys and gals that might know.
    Are there any disadvantages from upgrading to a SC540

thanks for any advice

Gary & Tim Knight

Rodney Gold replied 19 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Chris Wool

June 4, 2004 at 8:46 am

hi
    i have a sc540ex and when i went to see it working i saw a 500 printing then used the 540 the difference was stagering so got the 540.

when i got the 540 the ex was not out so it was sol inks after the ex came out i had the machine convered to a ex cost £2500 i have made most of that back there are still issues about rubbing off but put the print in its real enviroment and it does last well my car doors 4 months unlaminated and still fine yes you still need a laminater but you can charge for the service it is a extra.

chris

• Rodney Gold

June 4, 2004 at 2:48 pm

The 540 Pro II is a heck of a lot faster then the 500 and the print quality is better.
    Its an improved model and does about double + the output of the 500.
    Mine was also converted to EX subsequent to purchase (tho it only cost me 800 quid!!!)
    The RIP that comes with the 540 is worth it , let alone anything else.
    As to issues with my machine , the only thing that I had replaced (under warrantee) was a pump and a tube and it was a unusual case (the bracket had bent for some reason)
    Apart from that , the machine has performed flawlessly , I have never even had to do a mild head clean , let alone a medium one or a power clean or — the ultimate cleaning , a flush!! (and I have had quite a few head strikes)
    The print lam cut on the 540 is a doddle to use , dunno what its like on the 500.