Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Off Topic Chat safety when fitting signs

  • safety when fitting signs

    Posted by Gary Davis on September 7, 2004 at 11:20 am

    Hi couple of Q’s, firstly can anyone recommend cheap supplier of cones/safety barriers. Secondly out of interest when fitting shop signs what does everyone els on here do? Do you have H&S consultant do risk assesment on site or just a genral ‘blanket’ one?
    Do you inform highways or the local council when fitting will be etc?

    many thanks

    Phill Fenton replied 19 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Dave Hambrook

    September 7, 2004 at 6:27 pm

    Screwfix do some basic barriers, go for the solid ones rather than tape as a lot of shopping centres now insist on them.If you are blocking the whole pavement then I guess you should inform the council and then you would have to have all the traffic management signs etc. if there is still plenty of room on footpath after putting your barriers up you should be ok.
    hope this helps, its the way I do it.
    You can take a basic site H& S course for about £35 if you want phone number you can e-mail me


  • Phill Fenton

    September 7, 2004 at 6:32 pm

    Good question.

    I have to admit, I usually just turn up and do the job when working outside and fitting shop signs 😳

    At the moment a signmaker needs to hold a CSCS certificate if he is working on a building site – I suspect legislation of this type will eventually extend to include the fitting of all signs……. 😕

    Perhaps someone involved with the BSGA could give their take on this?

Log in to reply.