Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers RS-640 regular maintenance

• RS-640 regular maintenance

Posted by David Hammond on June 13, 2012 at 10:15 am

I’ve probably neglected my RS-640 without realising it.

I clean the print heads every week, or after an exceptionally long print run.

I’ve changed the wipers once maybe twice since having the machine (18months)

That’s all I have done as general maintenance.

I am now looking at changing the wipers, and carrying some in stock (which is why I haven’t done it more often) I see digiprint supply their own Wipers considerably cheaper than Roland.

What other items should I look to replace?

Digiprint suggested Dampers and Caps.

I do have a cap that is a little loose in the housing?

How easy are these items to replace myself, and what should I really be looking at replacing?

David Hammond replied 11 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Gert du Preez

June 13, 2012 at 10:38 am

Youve got it all there. Dampers, caps and wipers.

All are very easy to replace. Just be careful when removing / replacing the dampers. The little "nipple" on the printhead becomes (or is??) brittle, and can break off.

Dont ask me how I know 😳

We’ve had ours since they were launched (almost 3 years ago) and replaced the dampers once, and the wipers maybe every 4 – 6 months. They are cheap enough to replace, but they serve some bloody expensive components!

PS, your weekly cleaning schedule is slightly better than ours. The printer operator sometimes neglects this simple task for several weeks. T.A.B…..(Thats Africa, Baby 😀 )

• David Hammond

June 13, 2012 at 11:42 am

I’ve taken my machine apart to see how good access etc is, and the capping station, wipers etc look really straight forward.

Once I have replaced the dampers what is the correct procedure to remove any air from the system and re-fil the dampers?

Also noticed the white thumb screws on the front of the print head carriage aren’t tight, and are looser than hand tight? I’m yet to tighten them up, but have a suspicion that they should at least be hand tight?

• Gert du Preez

June 13, 2012 at 12:22 pm

David,

If you want to do it manually, use a syringe to suck through the ink from the drain pipes coming from the cappin station.

Or you can run a clean cycle or 2. That will get rid of the air in the ink feed pipes and fill the dampers.

I use a Neddle nose Vice Grip to pinch the tube closed – that way the ink does not flow back.

The little white grub screws on the print ciarage. I dont know if they have something to do with the alignment of the heads, or if they are just retaining screws. On my printer they are well tight. So, maybe just retaining screws. Try tightening 1, noting how much you turned it. See if the print heads are still aligned. If so, then tighten the rest. It would imply that they are retaining screws, and not used for adjustment.

And please report back – That way I can know as well 😀

• David Hammond

June 13, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I’ve just done a Bi-Directional alignment on the machine, and then tightened them all up finger tight, about another 1/2 3/4 of a turn on each, printed another out and there’s no significant change.

I would imagine that they do hold the head to some degree or why else would they be there?

• David Hammond

June 14, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Gert the box of goodies arrived today from Digiprint, and I’ve changed the dampers (no breakages) wipers, cap tops, and it seems to be working well still.

When I looked at the machine yesterday there was a plastic blade which the wipers passed underneath that was caked in dry ink, so that came off and had a soak in cleaning fluid, and it looks like new.