Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Roland VS-640i DPI

• Roland VS-640i DPI

Posted by Daniel Evans on January 18, 2016 at 11:02 am

Hey guys

I’ve now done a few prints with my new printer and so far so good.

I’ve now been asked to produce some labels half the size of a business card but on closer inspection, the dpi is terrible.

I would like to print at a higher resolution but the metamark profiles are only 720dpi.

I’m printing onto Metamark MD-P which states that I should use their MD3 Profile, but the resolution is only 720 x 720dpi

Can I use a different profile or change the resolution?

Thanks

Hugh Band replied 8 years, 3 months ago 4 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Stafford Cox

January 18, 2016 at 12:22 pm

It’s definitely worth a try. The print heads in those machines are capable of 1440dpi and even 2880dpi IIRC but the limitation is in the solvent ink. I would try using another gloss vinyl profile and see how it looks. What RIP are you using? Versaworks?

Stafford

• Daniel Evans

January 18, 2016 at 12:23 pm

Thanks Stafford

I’m using the standard versaworks rip

• Stafford Cox

January 18, 2016 at 12:47 pm

I’m not entirely certain because I don’t really know Versaworks but there should be some 1440dpi profiles available. Failing that, try downloading a free trial version of any of the other leading RIP’s and see if they do a better job. That way you can be sure you’re getting the best quality from your printer.

Stafford

• Daniel Evans

January 18, 2016 at 1:11 pm

Thanks Stafford

I’ll give that a ty

• Kevin Flowers

January 18, 2016 at 4:08 pm

Daniel
    profile issue 720dpi should be perfect for what you are doing chances are you are getting too much ink and that is causing the problem so 1440dpi may actually give you a bigger problem. Are you printing vector or bitmap and what colour

Kev

• Hugh Band

January 18, 2016 at 5:21 pm

Hi Daniel
    I do a lot of small labels with tiny print on our VS (about 2mm high) using MD-P and use generic vinyl 2 high quality (1440 x 720dpi) and its very sharp 😀 …and reallly slow.. 🙁 …give it a go, or trial some of the other generics.
    All the best
    Hugh

• Daniel Evans

January 18, 2016 at 7:39 pm

Thanks Hugh

I’ll give that a go in the morning

• Daniel Evans

January 25, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Hugh

What quality settings do you use?

• Hugh Band

January 25, 2016 at 10:25 pm

Hi Daniel

For the small text on the metamark P and H vinyl I use high quality on generic vinyl 2, as commented before you have time to get a brew on and do something else while its working though 😀

Did you try this setting on your small text?
    Cheers, Hugh

• Daniel Evans

January 25, 2016 at 10:30 pm

Hi Hugh

I did try it, it was a better result, I was gonna try and play about with the quality settings tomorrow, just wondered if you used different settings I.e uni directional etc

• Daniel Evans

January 25, 2016 at 10:30 pm

Also what’s the difference between generic vinyl 2 and the he one?

• Daniel Evans

January 25, 2016 at 10:31 pm

HD one sorry

• Hugh Band

January 25, 2016 at 10:41 pm
    quote Daniel Evans:

just wondered if you used different settings I.e uni directional etc

Not for text based label stuff – could prepare a full english breakfast to go with the brew in the time required! Do quite a bit of colour (not b/w due to the VS inability to handle it 🙁 envy you the vs-i with light black!) stuff for photographers/artists – and very very rarely feel that need to go uni directional. If all printer settings are good then bi-directional on High Quality is good – and they are demanding customers! 😀

But absolutely experiment – its the best way to find out what works with your set up!
    Cheers, Hugh.

• Hugh Band

January 25, 2016 at 10:43 pm
    quote Daniel Evans:

HD one sorry

Sorry Daniel – haven’t got a HD generic AFAIK? Is this one that VSi has and not VS?
    Cheers, Hugh