Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl Roland VP540i Print & Cut Machine

• Roland VP540i Print & Cut Machine

Posted by Christian Davies on January 14, 2018 at 3:55 pm

When printing full colour artwork onto media, should you print the design and then contour cut after the inks have cured or is it ok to print and cut all in one process? What are you guys mostly doing to get the best results?

Also, what temperature are you setting the print heat and dryer heat on?

Many thanks for your help.

Rachael.

Wayne Maxwell replied 6 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Chris Wilson

January 14, 2018 at 4:04 pm

Hi Rachael,

Temperature should be for each Media profile really. In printer controls on versaworks there is a drop down setting which can be set to machine or to default Media. I would stick with default Media and choose the correct profile.

As printing and then cutting we do straight away. Never had any problems.. apart from garment film. If this is print and cut, then weeded before taped it will just jump off the backing sheeting within a few hours. Taping it of course solves the problem.

• Christian Davies

January 14, 2018 at 5:05 pm

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for your reply.
    So you print and cut, then leave for the ink to dry (24 hours? -how long do you leave it?) then you will weed and immediately apply the application transfer tape?

If I have weeded and then not applied the transfer tape for sometime then I could experience problems withe the vinyl lifting?

Thank you again for your help, most appreciated.

• Chris Wilson

January 14, 2018 at 6:19 pm

Yea pretty much.

We do a lot of labels and small decals for companies. We print, cut straight away, and then weed and tape. They will most likely be ok if there rolled up over night. Or so we have found.

What we have found however is printing, cutting and weeding then leaving for the day, coming back in the next morning it’s off the sheet. However like I said only with printable garment film. Never really noticed it with general vinyl.

• Wayne Maxwell

January 14, 2018 at 7:08 pm

I print and cut right away unless the customer wants the labels laminated. Once cut i find best to leave overnight then weed the following day as it shrinks. Makes weeding alot easier. Or if your in a hurry weed straight after cutting shouldnt be a problem.