Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Roland VP540 and Sun Ink, advice please?

• Roland VP540 and Sun Ink, advice please?

Posted by Gavin Dooley on February 18, 2016 at 9:25 am

Hi, Has anyone tried ink from Sun Chemical in Roland Versa Camm VP540?

Had a rep round yesterday, he said it’s plug and play, ie, no need to change all cartridges.
    He said that they won’t charge me until I’ve used a cartridge & am happy with the result.
    I’ve never used any other ink other than genuine roland eco sol max.

Cheers, Gavin.

Gavin Dooley replied 8 years, 2 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Cheryl Smith

February 18, 2016 at 11:16 am

as a third party supplier…I would always recommend Granthams…second to none service and the inks are fine and guaranteed…

• Steff Davison

February 18, 2016 at 2:09 pm

Sun inks are part of the largest ink company in the world (DIC).

If your machine is out of warranty and you go through a bit of ink then I cant see much of a risk. I think they have the money to back up their own warranty claims etc if it came to it.

One thing Ive found with the printing side of this business, these companies like to shroud everything in mystery and danger to keep their margins. ie If its not our OEM ink then we cant be responsible if your machine explodes and kills everyone in the building etc etc.

Steff

• Kevin Flowers

February 18, 2016 at 7:48 pm

Hi
    just a little bit of advice get a Dated print out whilst still running the genuine inks, you then have a reference point if you have any problems with head clogging once running the new ink. Get your Sun rep to sign the print out should be no problem if the inks are as good as they say

Kev

• Robert Walker

February 19, 2016 at 12:19 am

I’ve been running 3rd party ink for over 5 years, always use jet best bulk ink system and never had a problem. I swapped to Sun Chemicals ink last year in June. The main reason for swapping was the ink train warranty they gave with there ink. After a couple of days I started having problems, damper failure and missing nozzles ect no worries I had that warranty. Engineer called out dampers and captop swapped back up and printing.

Since I swapped to Sun I have had to swap my captop on a monthly basis (as to there engineers suggestions), nothing but problems, test prints before every print showed nearly all nozzles missing on more than one colour. I had no confidence in my printer, colour would drop mid print on long runs. Sun have said my print head was dead 🙁 and there ink warranty didn’t cover the head!

After a bit more investigation I noticed how nearly all the ink I was being supplied had only 3 month shelf life (bulk ink litre bottles) some even turned up out of date, Asked sun as weather this would have contributed to my problems and was told they build in extra shelf life into the ink?!

So in the new year I took the option of doing a complete ink flush, new dampers, new captop and spring ect and go back to jet best. Nothing to loose as I may need a new print head. Now mid Feb and every nozzle fires, confidence is back with the printer and absolutely no problems.

If it isn’t broken don’t fix it and in my personal opinion don’t touch Sun Chemicals with your worst enemys barge pole.

• Gavin Dooley

February 19, 2016 at 1:56 pm

Thanks all for your replies, Gavin.