Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions General Sign Topics Roland VP300 cut and print issues

• Roland VP300 cut and print issues

Posted by Jean Oakley on June 13, 2018 at 1:39 pm

Hi this is the link to the problem im having. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2N4tFfNSFA

Basically ive printed some small stickers 50mm x 25mm and done three sets one after the other. Once laminated i put back through to cut them.
    1st set fine
    2nd set completely off after the first row but fine top to bottom just cutting other rows apx 1mm wider so by the time it hits the last row its apx 5mm out.
    3rd set cut straight after abosolutly fine again. Its never been great and the machine is serviced every year. I was told i was printing too long a lengths (apx 1000mm) and to reduce it to 700mm. These prints are around 400mm per set :bangshead: and i still get this happening. Any one have an idea? much appriciated jean

Jamie Wood replied 5 years, 10 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Chris Wilson

June 13, 2018 at 8:13 pm
    quote Jean Oakley:

Hi this is the link to the problem im having. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2N4tFfNSFA

Basically ive printed some small stickers 50mm x 25mm and done three sets one after the other. Once laminated i put back through to cut them.
    1st set fine
    2nd set completely off after the first row but fine top to bottom just cutting other rows apx 1mm wider so by the time it hits the last row its apx 5mm out.
    3rd set cut straight after abosolutly fine again. Its never been great and the machine is serviced every year. I was told i was printing too long a lengths (apx 1000mm) and to reduce it to 700mm. These prints are around 400mm per set :bangshead: and i still get this happening. Any one have an idea? much appriciated jean

Hi jean,

Don’t want to teaching you eggs here and that..

But have you tried playing around with the cutting pressure? Or blade depth
    In the holder. I came back last week from being on site and the boys were having this exact problem with perf cut stickers. It didn’t look to deep, but they went through meters of this problem. I came in, took the pressure down by 30 grams, sorted the issue straight away, they all still cut fine and ploughed through the final 2 meters of them.

Just looks like quite a deep score in your video.

• Lee Reeves

June 13, 2018 at 8:52 pm

We have had very similar issues with cuts being out on our xr640 roland engineers could replicate the issue but after about 15 visits never came up with a solution to fix it. The only solution that I got from roland management was to buy another printer so after being a roland customer for about 6 years with full service contracts we have a new Mimaki ucjv300 being installed on Monday sorry it’s not of any assistance in resolving your issues

• David Stevenson

June 13, 2018 at 9:36 pm

We had terrible trouble with our gr640 cutter. Had so many cutting faults you didn’t know what it was going to do next. Have to say Roland done everything they could to help. The issues seemed to be fixed by updating the firmware on the cutter, & versaworks. I know it’s a shot in the dark but worth a try. Might do no harm to space out your cut alignment marks as well, something else suggested by Roland

• Bill Horter Jr

June 14, 2018 at 2:24 am

I have found on my TrueVis, you need to remove the media and slide the holders out of the way when cutting after laminatung, once I started doing that I have not had one issue in 6 months, my machine cuts with such acuracy it is almost scary.

Maybe try removing any obstacles from behind the machine when cutting, I think the prints get knocked around some times.

• Jamie Wood

June 14, 2018 at 7:29 am
    quote Lee Reeves:

We have had very similar issues with cuts being out on our xr640 roland engineers could replicate the issue but after about 15 visits never came up with a solution to fix it. The only solution that I got from roland management was to buy another printer so after being a roland customer for about 6 years with full service contracts we have a new Mimaki ucjv300 being installed on Monday sorry it’s not of any assistance in resolving your issues

I’d be very interested to hear your thoughts on the new Mimaki once it’s installed. May be looking
    at one for later in the year.

Cheers,
    Jamie

• Jamie Wood

June 14, 2018 at 7:31 am
    quote Jean Oakley:

1st set fine

Do you have a separate plotter with an optical eye? Might be worth trying that instead of the printer.