Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Roland VersaCamm SP-540v Grraphic Printing At an Angle.

• Roland VersaCamm SP-540v Grraphic Printing At an Angle.

Posted by Michael Winfield on October 31, 2011 at 10:58 am

Can anyone tell me whats causing this, and more importantly how to stop it? i’ve got 3/4 of a days printing to do today to get mounted to boards for wed’s so times against me! =(

Attachments:

Gary Birch replied 12 years, 6 months ago 6 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Dan Osterbery

October 31, 2011 at 11:06 am

this could be your encoder strip, gently give it a clean with a dry cloth.

• Gavin MacMillan

October 31, 2011 at 11:07 am

It looks like a dirty encoder strip, search on here for lots of instructions for cleaning.

Edit: you beat me too it Dan!

• Michael Winfield

October 31, 2011 at 11:11 am

Where will i find this decoder strip?

• Gavin MacMillan

October 31, 2011 at 11:16 am

It’s the thin plastic strip that runs the length of the printer when you lift the cover. Give it a light clean with a lint free cloth both front (and back if needed, you may need to take extra covers of). I never use any cleaning products just the cloth.

• Michael Winfield

October 31, 2011 at 11:48 am

I’ve just cleaned it and it didn’t sit back in its slot right, i sent it printing and its bent it an now its printing even worse =( do we know anyone that would have one in stock?

• Gavin MacMillan

October 31, 2011 at 11:55 am

Roland may have, not sure how easy they are to change so you may need an engineer, someone else may be better to advise. Can I ask why you sent a print if you didn’t have it sitting back in correctly?

• Michael Winfield

October 31, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I’ve had one side out to slide it back between the sensor because it fell out while i was cleaning it and there is 1 screw at the other end so i think it would be pretty easy to swap.

I didn’t notice it hadn’t in the middle of the printer and only noticed when it came to a halt. =(

Not having a good day!

• Gavin MacMillan

October 31, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Ouch! Never had to swap one but from memory it certainly looks easy as the end furthest from the capping station – not looked at the other side closely.

• Michael Szwacki

October 31, 2011 at 2:17 pm

It is definitely encoder strip. Give it a good clean few times, make sure it’s sit in properly. I would take the sensor out aswell and clean inside between two plastic walls where the magic eye is. I had this problem for few days until I found a lump of dust sitting on the eye 🙂

Mike

• Stephen Morriss

October 31, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Encoder strip.
    I don’t bother taking it out, just use a cleaning swab and gently clean both sides without any solvent.

Just had to clean mine today as it started printing everything fuzzy and off line.

Tech 8 stock them, along with the ribbon cable that goes.

Steve

• Gary Birch

October 31, 2011 at 4:00 pm

You can actually just turn it over and use the bottom half of the encoder strip. We did this about 2 years ago and it is still going strong now.

Cheers

Gary

• Michael Winfield

October 31, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Gary that is just what i did, turned it over stuck in back in and away it went.

i contacted the guy we got the machine from about getting a replacement strip and he reckons it will be about £180+VAT for a new strip, is that right? seems a lot for a printed strip of plastic.

Thanks for everyone’s advise, I’d be bold if you guys and gals weren’t here!

• Gary Birch

October 31, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Sounds about right for the cost mate. + carriage which is quite hefty too from memory.

Cheers

Gary