Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Roland SP540V Cutting problem

• Roland SP540V Cutting problem

Posted by Tim Hobbs on April 24, 2008 at 11:13 am

Has anyone had to deal with blade judder on a cut?
    We seem to be having this problem now on all cutting jobs.
    The cut is more like a perforation.
    We’d like to avoid a visit from and engineer if at all possible!

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

Tim

Tim Hobbs replied 16 years ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Mike Fear

April 24, 2008 at 11:20 am

If the blade is new, it could be that the bearings in the blade holder need cleaning ( this can often stop the blade spinning properly and cause it to drag over the vinyl ).

I do mine with some WD40 every couple of months – spray plenty in and spin the bearing round to get it evenly dsitributed.

• Tim Hobbs

April 24, 2008 at 11:42 am

Thanks Mike

I don’t think that’s the solution though because I have tried several new blades. Also the judder is kind of random, some cuts are fine.

Tim

• Mike Fear

April 24, 2008 at 11:51 am

If it is the bearings then it will be random as sometimes the blade will be straight, but then as the vinyl moves forward or back it will try and spin the blade but the bearings will stick.

Our PNC1000 did exactly the same thing, left perforated cuts instead of straight lines and the WD40 fixed it so it could be worth a try

• Tim Hobbs

April 24, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Certainly worth a try Mike and will do.

• Steve Morgan

April 24, 2008 at 12:54 pm

I had a similar problem recently, there was no problem with the blade or holder, 3 different options all did the 3 same. I have an SP 300
    I think mine was caused when the blade holder hit the edge of the vinyl and stopped the machine.
    I think it has been cured, try this. Remove the blade the blade holder from the machine, load some vinyl and set the machine to cut a few shapes/letters, sufficient that the blade would be going up and down few times. Now replace the holder – it seems to have worked on my machine.

Steve

• Tim Hobbs

May 1, 2008 at 2:37 pm

Hi Guys

Been very busy so I haven’t had a chance to reply till now.
    Sorted the problem thanks to some advice from Harry at Edward Mathias (guy’s a genius)

If the machine isn’t used on a daily basis it seems that the cutting mechanism can become a little sticky. Then what happens is it stays too low when you do a cut and as it travels across the vinyl holder on the machine as it first travels, it neatly nicks the blade and ruins it.
    Subsequently the blade tears the vinyl rather than cutting it.

The solution was to take the cover off the blade holder and lubricate with the tiniest drop of WD40 using a toothpick. Then with the blade out of the holder run a cut only on a large page of small capital B’s or similar.
    A "B" is good as the cutter has to raise and lower three times for that letter. This sorted the problem for me.

As I said, that guy is soooo helpful.

Tim