Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Roland SP540 Lightbar Configured

• Roland SP540 Lightbar Configured

Posted by Simon Banister on January 4, 2017 at 12:19 am

Hi All

Long time lurker, first time poster…. be nice 🙂

Firstly, please note that I am posting this on behalf of a "friendly rival" as I think there is something very wrong somewhere.

They have a Roland SP540 configured with a LIGHTBAR. Everything is fine except the amount of print heads they are going through. At a rough guess the machine is about two years old and they have been through at least 5-7 print heads that I know of, it is likely to be more. I found this out as I had asked them to run a couple of jobs for me personally and each time I asked they were waiting on head replacement.

I got talking to them and they explained the issue with the Magenta ink which seems to have a much heavier viscosity and is causing the head to block.

Does anyone know of any common issues with Colorific ink or this machine configured with that ink?

Lastly, the printer prints a maximum of 5 meters a day (if that) of MDP only. The supplier of the machine has been excellent in supplying a new head each time and this post is not to insult/embarrass them.

Simon Banister replied 7 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Robert Lambie

January 4, 2017 at 12:59 am
    quote Simon Banister:

Firstly, please note that I am posting this on behalf of a “friendly rival” as I think there is something very wrong somewhere.

hi Simon

You have me puzzled here, please explain?

• Simon Banister

January 4, 2017 at 10:57 am

Hi Robert

I am suggesting there is something very wrong with the machine.

I am posting this for someone who I helped set up his business by advising him on what machine to purchase. At that time I suggested a Roland, since giving that advice the Lightbar option became available. Due to the nature of the product he is printing, the Lightbar is the best option as the print needs to withstand certain chemicals.

I am really interested in those who have the same configuration to see if they are having the same problem.

Like I say, the company (CSL), have been excellent in replacing the head as and when it is needed, and presumably will continue to do so for the lifetime of the machine. However it is not an ideal situation and wondered if others have the same problem.

• Steff Davison

January 4, 2017 at 11:24 am

I have 3 lightbar Roland machines, I have had 1 new head on the very first one I bought, of the other 2 RF’s 1 is 10 months old and the other about 8 weeks old.

I havent noticed any deterioration of print quality on the older machine due to any print head issues. My machines are running 8 plus hours a day so ink is moving through the system. I do have a more regimented cleaning system, I clean the capping station after every 100-150 meters of media.

The RF’s seem more robust than the VSi machines, I personally believe that the lack of pinch wheels on the print and cut machine doesnt help with head strikes. But that opinion isnt based on anything other than using the 2 types of machine.

• Simon Banister

January 5, 2017 at 2:44 pm

Thanks for your reply Steff, I am going to see if the two machines share the same print head.

Its definitely not head strike as that is one of the first things I thought of, so sadly I have to rule that out. The current print head is less than two months old and is already on its way out and will probably need replacing with the next week or so.

• Stephen Morriss

January 6, 2017 at 2:34 pm

I quite often have problems with the Magenta/yellow head.
    It’s the capping station blocking as if one of the inks is drying slightly. It’s made worse because I have the newer pump fitted with only one pipe and a Y piece to suck the ink from both capping stations. The black/cyan head is always clean but the M/Y head fills the capping station and starts to bleed ink across so I need to clean the heads before printing.
    It doesn’t always happen but it’s more often than not.

If I had the old pump fitted I don’t think it would happen as there was 2 separate pumps built into it.

Steve

• Justin Atkinson

January 6, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the post ref the SP540i with head problems.

Can you let me know who your friend is as we don’t appear to have a call logged for this issue.

Many thanks – Justin

• Simon Banister

January 9, 2017 at 11:01 pm

Hi Justin

I will let them know. Like I say, assuming you work for Colorific (I think that is the company anyway), then you have been nothing short of superb in dealing with the issue. It just seems that there is a problem with the Magenta on a LIGHTBAR machine. I just wanted to know if this is specific to just their machine, or if other configured 540’s have the same problem.

Kind regards

Simon