Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Roland SP300v – opinions?

• Roland SP300v – opinions?

Posted by Peter Wynne on August 8, 2016 at 11:19 am

Hi all,

I’m in a position where I want to purchase a printer/cutter.
    I’ve looked at just a vinyl cutter, but I think having a printer too will only be beneficial.
    Unfortunately I simply don’t have the space or finances for a 54" printer/cutter right now so a 30" will do. Also bearing the space thing in mind, having a combined printer/cutter is probably my best bet.
    All bigger jobs I’m happy to sub out until then!

Having had a search I’ve come across a couple of Roland SP300v which seem ideal, but just thought I’d ask for a few opinions off people who either have them or have previously used them?

As far as I can see, they seem to be able to print on the majority of substrates (pretty much all "solvent" ink materials), including coated and un-coated papers, wallpapers, vinyls, banner stock (both roller and outdoor), and canvases… is this correct??

I’m used to printing on a HP 26500 Latex printer daily, but I’m assuming with the SP300v being eco-solvent, the principles will be exactly the same and I won’t need any degassing chambers or anything like that??

Thoughts and opinions will be much appreciated 🙂

Peter Wynne replied 7 years, 7 months ago 6 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Daniel Evans

August 8, 2016 at 11:32 am

Hi Peter

I’ve got the later VSi-640 print and cut machine and although bigger and newer it’s pretty much the same from what people tell me.

I’ve not long had the machine but I have printed wallpaper, banners, vinyls and canvasses although my old epson 7600 printed better canvasses.

You do have to leave the prints i believe for a recommended 24 hours to outgas, you can speed this up with outgassing units but it does need to be done, i just leave mine stood up and loosely rolled and left till tomorrow.

The SP300v was a good machine as far as I know and people still use them daily now, my advise would be to get a maintenance contract on it though so if anything does go wrong you’ll have someone there in now time and trust me when i say print heads are expensive.

• Peter Wynne

August 8, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the feedback.

I’ve ready mixed opinions about the whole out-gassing thing. Some do it every time, and some never do it. As far as I can see, it depends on what the print is being used for. e.g. if laminating with full colour coverage then probably best to let it rest a while, but if it’s just a straightforward unlaminated poster print then it’s fine to cut straight away and use.

What are your results like on wallpaper?

I’ve never used Versaworks (always used Onyx RIP for printing and cutting, and set paths up in illustrator), but I’m assuming it’s relatively straightforward program? Seems to be from what I’ve read…

• Lee Pitcher

August 8, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Hi Peter

Yeah Versaworks is really easy to use. Quite self explanatory really. Just use CutPath in illustrator where you want to cut. I used Wasatch for a few months and then Versaworks for 11 years !

I was tempted to buy an HP 26500 as from what I’ve seen the print quality is great. Lack of funds in being able to purchase the addition of a cutter made me go back to a Roland XC 540 – and Versaworks again !

I generally outgas if prints are going onto a vehicle. If it’s flat substrate then maybe I’ll leave them for a few hours. Have gotten away with it so far.

If you get stuck on Versaworks drop me a line and I’ll try and help you out

All the best

Lee

• Peter Wynne

August 9, 2016 at 9:01 am

Hi Lee,

Yeah the 26500 is fantastic in terms of print quality, but due to the excessive heat it uses I find myself sometimes limited as to what I can use in it, plus I’ve had quite a few issues with print warping (especially on vinyl) which is fine for straight prints but a nightmare when mounting to pre-cut boards or tiling prints!

The big Roland print/cut machines look amazing, I’ve seen some of the vinyl they print for vehicles and it always looks really rich in colour.

Thanks for the advice, if I end up cutting the SP300v then I’m sure I’ll need some guidance using Versaworks!

• Peter Wynne

September 27, 2016 at 11:35 am

Just seeing if anyone else has got any other thoughts or opinions on the Roland sp300?

Desperately want to purchase a small print and cut machine to get me started on some freelance work and after seeing quite a few on offer, I’m thinking the SP300 would be the right machine to go far.
    Haven’t got space for a 54 inch printer, nor the finance for a bigger print and cut machine. So for now all bigger jobs can just be out-sourced.

Any thoughts or opinions from people who have owned or have experience with this machine would be greatly appreciated!

Pete.

• Phill Fenton

September 27, 2016 at 1:37 pm

I’ve been using an SP300 since 2005 (actually its a uniform Cadet which is a rebranded Versacamm). Great printer even now but as it’s getting on a bit I have started having a few issues with it recently. Unless you’re an expert on these machines I would suggest trying to get a warranty or maintenance contract. Otherwise great machine highly recommended :thumbsup:

• Simon Worrall

September 27, 2016 at 2:30 pm

Hi Peter
    I have had the Roland SP540V for more than ten years now. It is the same as the 300 just wider.
    There are two issues I have had with this.
    1. Print and cut accuracy has always been a little hit and miss, I understand this is common to these machines. I compensate by cutting very slowly, and cutting no more than a meter at a time.
    I once found that a roller mount was cracked, replacing this improved things a lot, but still not 100%
    2. My machine has trouble printing consistent very light blues. Dont know why, the techie has spent time on this and never figured it out. Just a glitch, he tells me. Nothing wrong. It doesnt happen all the time though. You cant even really see it as it comes off the machine, but when you lay the print down on the flat table you can sometimes see very slight streaks. I just sub out light blue prints now, to a friend with a mimaki.
    Apart from this, it is perfectly reliable. I have had one black head replacement, five years ago, and still get perfect test prints from all the heads. I would say it has been actually working 2-3 hours per day on average.
    I intend to replace it with an HP latex, eventually, as I often run out of room to hang solvent prints.

Simon

• Peter Wynne

September 27, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Thanks for the thoughts both.

If I’m honest, I’m probably going to end up getting one without a service contract. Only reason being is that buying it from a reseller (Printmax, Grafityp, etc) the prices are just to inflated IMO. They seem to be sticking another £1000 or so on the price. Whereas I can probably get hold of one for a lot less direct from someone selling it due to upgrade etc.
    Pros and cons I know, as it may be that I have it 6 months and the heads go, but it could be that it keeps running and running.

As I’ve only ever used Latex (both the 26500 and 360), is out-gassing always a necessity? I’ve heard (and apologies if I’m swearing to some people!) that it’s not always necessary for certain things? If leaving un-laminated, is the ink not technically dry enough to not come off immediately anyways?

• Phill Fenton

September 27, 2016 at 10:10 pm

If you’re quite handy and have access to maintenance information (eg an engineers service manual) then a service contract may not be necessary, but be warned an inexperienced person can do more harm than good trying to maintain their own machine. As far as out gassing is concerned, you’re right, if not laminating then the product is more or less usable direct off the machine. The only exception would be when printing coloured labels, these will curl at the edges if not allowed to fully dry before contour cutting.

• Peter Wynne

September 27, 2016 at 10:17 pm

Thanks Phil, really appreciate the feedback.

I’ve worked my way around the Latex machines (sort of) but as a one man band with little money, I think the lack of service contract is a risk I’ll have to take!

Will certainly bear that outgassing in mind.

Now to find one for the right price! Unless you have one for sale….?? 😉

• Jason Davies

October 1, 2016 at 1:58 pm

Running VP’s at this end, great machines and if properly maintained will give you high quality reliable outputs. If buying second hand I’d recommend a maintenance contract that covers heads and everything else. These machines are starting to become a little temperamental and some of the parts aren’t as reliable. We’ve had a few roller units go that hold the vinyl down. If you had to buy these then you are looking at £120 each, after a few months they went again? Apparently the re-manufactured plastic is not as durable as it once was. New heads fitted are the biggest part of £1K. I’d buy from a dealer and get some warranty for peace of mind otherwise you may have an expensive door stop.
    Good luck.

• Lee Pitcher

October 1, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Peter – ping me an email. I might have a cunning plan depending whereabouts you are in the country !

Lrpitcher@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers

Lee

• Peter Wynne

October 2, 2016 at 4:41 pm

Email sent!