Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Roland SolJet Pro4 XR-640 printer, feedback please?

• Roland SolJet Pro4 XR-640 printer, feedback please?

Posted by Robert Lambie on November 26, 2012 at 8:58 pm

This was mentioned about 2 weeks ago with regards to "does anyone have any tried and tested views on this machine?"

I have a couple of Roland machines, Roland AJ740 + an older Soljet 2
    which must be about 8 years old now and still churning out work daily.
    I love the idea of having an HP Latex soley for vehicle/truck wraps but i am also trying to keep in mind the trusty print and cut machine will pack in on me one day and parts just wont be around or cost effective to fix….

sooo…. in the mean time ide love to hear feedback from anyone on this machine. I see its using new inks and has the white ink option, but are the inks much different in price and are their any downsides to having the white ink option?

<embed width=”500″ height=”400″ quality=”high” bgcolor=”#000000″ wmode=”transparent” name=”main” id=”main” allowfullscreen=”false” src=”http://www.isigntube.com/player/vPlayer.swf?f=http://www.isigntube.com/player/vConfig_embed.php?vkey=c3e9c84374c8919d2074″ type=”application/x-shockwave-flash”>

any feedback welcome, sign maker or supplier… as it would be good to keep a thread going on such a new machine with comments good or bad?

thanks in advance for any replies.

Michael Kalisperas replied 10 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Kevin Flowers

November 26, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Hi Rob
    not got one but went on the Roland launch and was very impressed, the machine at the time was still being trailed with different firmware and only running generic profiles but still performed way above the older Pro series.
    Its now 64 inch which is a nice bonus over the older machines and as several ink combinations

1/ Seven colours (cyan, magenta, yellow, black, light cyan, light magenta, light black)

2/ Eight colours (cyan, magenta, yellow, black, light cyan, light magenta, light black, white)

3/ Eight colours (cyan, magenta, yellow, black, light cyan, light magenta, light black, metallic silver)

4/ Eight colours (cyan, magenta, yellow, black, light cyan, light magenta, metallic silver, white)

The machine that i see was 7 colour as white & metallic wasn’t available at the time the machine was put on show. Speed was impressive to the point that at its fastest a dryer is required which is an additional item. Colour shift between the slower high quality and the higher speed is present but the print is still of a high quality with no banding. This i was told was due to the mirrored duel print heads and on all of the samples that Roland run and what i ran when having a play with the machine myself (sorry Brett) none was present.

Pricing seems to be very rigid on these at the moment even now its been a few months since pricing for the new EcoMax 2 inks had note been set at the time of the demo but found these prices on line

SolJet Pro 4 XR-640 £19,999
    Eco-Sol Max 2 ink 440cc £85.99
    Eco-Sol Max 2 Metallic ink (220cc only) £169.95
    Eco-Sol Max 2 White Ink (220cc only) £74.99

Hope this gives you some insight Rob and i do know that someone at the demo had a AJ and ordered the XR 640 on the day to replace the AJ because of the increase in speed & quality.

Kev

• Lee Reeves

November 26, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I saw on the printmax website they are going to do the ink in a 1 litre size for high volume users I am also very interested in see some samples and reviews of anyone who gets one

• Kevin Flowers

November 26, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Lee
    you are right but i think i was told it would be April 2013 before the 1ltr carts would be available. It is a very impressive machine you will be impressed with the samples.

Kev

• Michael Kalisperas

February 3, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Looking at getting this machine but was wondering after reading the previous comments, do you guys know if the 1 litre carts came out for sale as I can’t seem to find them on quick search??
    Cheers in advance Mike

• Lee Reeves

February 3, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Hi Michael

I was told that they have had a problem with the 1litre cart not emptying all the ink so wasting a lot of ink they are still trying to resolve this issue as far as i am aware. so we are stuck with the 440ml cart for now.

• Michael Kalisperas

February 3, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Thanks lee. That explains it then. Obviously the larger the carts hopefully the bigger the saving?? Maybe they won’t be tho?

Mike

I’m looking for a post dryer also but was thinking of making one I am on a budget and I can’t spend 2k on the one that comes as a option.

Truth is I may not need it as I’m guessing as a startup things will be slow but either way it’s worth looking into post dryers

Mike