Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Roland SG2-540 or VG2-540

• Roland SG2-540 or VG2-540

Posted by Mark Robson on January 17, 2022 at 3:17 pm

Wondering whether SG2-540 would suffice or if we’re spending this sort of money whether to go all out and get VG2-540. Don’t need twice the speed of cmykcmyk on the VG2, was thinking colour gamut might give us some new work, not a fan of white ink options, seem to be more a head clog risk and a niche area, anyone been in this position or have good working knowledge of these two machines? Thanks.

Mark Robson replied 2 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Jamie Wood

January 17, 2022 at 4:02 pm

I don’t know either of these machines, but I can highly recommend the Epson SC S 80600. They really are great machines.

• Mark Robson

February 2, 2022 at 11:16 pm

Thanks Jamie,

we are primarily garment decorators, embroidery etc and have a Roland BN-20 for the print cut side which been amazing though a bit slow, cutting especially and it is now getting on so considering upgrading however everything is massive in size by comparison to the BN-20! Looked to Roland because generally Roland have a good print and cut reputation with heat press flexes, often short-runs then cut straight after quite accurately. If they still made the SP300i would look at that as size was smaller than truevis2 models. Have been offered Epson and cutter, didn’t know anything about them and don’t know anyone using them for garment decoration but reading here they are highly regarded although we need this new machine to do both garment and signage as obviously with a new machine we would be expanding our offerings to large format printing so also trying to figure out what a multi ink like VG2 would give us over SG2 CMYK or rather how we would/could make the most of it if we went that way, as it’s quite a bit more money.

• Jamie Wood

February 3, 2022 at 9:31 am

We print garment vinyl on our Epson with no problem. It looks like you
    want print and cut though, and would have to buy a separate cutter with
    the Epson. If this is the case, you would be better off sticking with
    Roland, or maybe look at one of the smaller Mimaki CJVs.

• Mark Robson

February 3, 2022 at 10:05 am

Yes I think so too, prefer to stick with Roland than mimaki, looked at SG2-300 CMYK but then offers on Roland at mo mean not much more for a 540 but then it’s quite a leap for the VG2-540 with the additional colours, almost half again at the current discounted rates. Just not sure what the additional colour gamut would add for us though sounds a nice thing to have but at a price