Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Roland RS640 Head Fuses blowing

• Roland RS640 Head Fuses blowing

Posted by Gert du Preez on February 2, 2012 at 8:16 am

My RS640 has not done a single job this year, and we’ve been working for 3 weeks now (hot) The poor SP540 is swamped, even with business being slow this time of year. Were currently running shifts on it, 7 days per week….

The printer simply did not get any ink through any head. We cleaned, tried, cursed, replace dampers, checked pump, draw ink manually, etc etc. Everytime half a day wasted trying, everytime we order something (like dampers) it takes more than a week to get here.

After all avenues explored, I presumed only the head fuses could be blown. I was reluctant to consider this option, since it made no sense to me that BOTH could blow when the machine is standing idle for a few weeks…. Well, they were both blown! Replaced both, and POOF, both gone when I switch on the power. So I unplug the head cables, pop in fuses again, and switch on……….

POOF, both gone again!! So the problem lies somewhere else. According to the guy who is installing my bulk ink system today, it can be a transistor on the main board. So he is removing the board today, then takes it to Windhoek to repair (a 380km drive) then back again on Saturday to install.

All of this he does free of charge! I love dealing with 1 man businesses like him. He imports Vinyls, POP displays, 3rd party inks, original printer spares (bypassing the rip off artist authorised dealers) etc. Also does maintenance and repairs….. I spend a lot of money with him…. and he rewards me this way! He had to drive here today to install the bulk system, then back to Windhoek, then here on Saturday, then back again…..total of about 1500kms, free of charge!

Seems some clouds do indeed have a silver lining 😀

David Rowland replied 12 years, 3 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • David Rowland

February 2, 2012 at 8:34 am

well, the mimaki jv3 also have similar wiring structure, mini-head fuses and they are powered back to the power unit by an array of transistors.

But, if they are blowing after the repair then are they leaking too much power thru to blow them? like a surge of power?

What me and John found when we were in this situation is we got too much liquid chemical on the print heads (or those damn cables) after messing about, this caused the head to create the short.

Took us a while to sort it, we also learnt a lot from it that the printer technology is very sensitive and you got to be very cautious working inside.