Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Roland RS-640 just stopped printing

• Roland RS-640 just stopped printing

Posted by Jody Grobelny on July 4, 2012 at 7:27 am

Good Day

I have a Roland RS-640, she is printing fantastically she is only 2 months old and have had no real problems till now, a couple of days ago i started printing a 8mx1.5m Banner full colour and graphical, the file is 550mb that i am sending through using Versaworks, the print had gone in 2.1m when the printer just stopped and went on stanby, the Versaworks had no print status in it either.

I dont know what to do, should I reprint? I phoned Roland and they said I must make my design smaller and scale it in Versaworks, the thing being my design was done through photoshop, so its not a vector design, when i scale it and print the design it comes out heavy pixelated and i dont ant that, the 2.1m that printed on my last design was perfect.

What should i do?

Thank you

Jody Grobelny replied 11 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Mark Nihotte

July 4, 2012 at 11:22 am

Hi Jody

We print large drum scanned files thru versaworks for a local car museum…but it doesn’t do 500MB – just stops printing. Only way is to reduce the file size either in photoshop or we have found importing into corel, then reducing the size of the image by 50 pct and allowing the DPI to stay high – then resave as a.bmp (or .pdf) will reduce the size of the file by at least two thirds. Then open in versaworks and resize to 200 pct and presto the rip is happy and no loss of image quality…job done 😛

• Jody Grobelny

July 4, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Hello Mark

Thank you very much will give that a try soon and will let you know the results.

Thank you

• Gert du Preez

July 5, 2012 at 9:23 am

Hi, Jody,

We also run a RS 640 and SP 540 vie Versaworks. I just spoke to the designer – he said he printed a wallpaper graphic a few weeks ago, designed in PhotoShop, that was 3.3 GIG in size 😮

He left it overnight to rip, so no telling how long it took. It printed fine once through.

The measurements were 12.5 x 3 metres. Printed in 10 panels, but the original file was sent through full size.

I must add we sometimes do get a stoppage while printing. After a cold boot of the computer, just re send and it prints fine.

Try closing all other programmes running while printing. Also disable your anti virus. Cant remember which one, but one of the antivirus programmes interfered with printing.

PS. I see you from RSA. We run both our printers on SA manufactured bulk ink. NuTec ink, manufactured in Cape Town. Been using it for about a year now, no problems. Even better colours than the OE inks, and faster drying times. Worth considering once your printer is out of guarantee. In the 1 litre bulk packs it works out at 3x cheaper than Roland ecosol max……

• Jody Grobelny

July 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Hello Gert

Thank you very much for your reply, I did what you said and reprinted it and it worked, I just wanted to add that you guys gave me more advice then Roland and I am very grateful for your answers. Another thing I found out about, is that I had barely any hdd space, so I cleared that and made sure all my resources was going to the print.

Thank you again