Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Roland RF-640 pros and cons and ink usage

• Roland RF-640 pros and cons and ink usage

Posted by Adam Hilson on August 23, 2017 at 5:38 pm

Hi all

I have just purchased a Roland RF-640 and would like to hear from anyone that has one for any pros and cons about the machine and things to look out for.

Also does any one know what a rough price is per SQM for ink is

I printed 3 banners off last night. Full colour different qualitys and came up with this

Banner size 975 x 2200

STD quality banner setting 32cc ink
    High quality banner setting 40cc ink
    Billboard quality setting 30cc ink

1cc of ink is £0.20 based on 500cc cart at £100

Ink cost for std banner setting would be £6.40

Is this about right compared to other printers

Any comments well received

Many thanks

Steff Davison replied 6 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Chris Wilson

August 23, 2017 at 7:09 pm

We run a VS 540 and we would be £4.73 for the same. We are running eco sol max 3 500 carts.

• Steff Davison

August 24, 2017 at 5:39 pm

I run a couple of RF 640’s and with ink at full retail price the machine’s RIP software (not versaworks) says £0.90 per running meter (80-85% coverage) in my experience you can add another 40% to that. Also I have had my machines profiled for one media running 1 type of job so I am hopefully getting optimal coverage and ink usage….oh and I use solventUV ink which is more cost effective than solvent ink, so I am told (and looking at the above figures….seems justified).

I run fairly long jobs for relatively small returns… but the ink costs, if you are pricing correctly,as a percentage of the job cost should be negligible.

I like the RF640’s they are a good solid work horse, I have a VSi 540, which is a very good machine (but in a different way to the RF’s) if I was buying another small production machine it would be an RF, I think that the machine cost in relation to its production capacity is extremely good. I look at how many meters per hour it produces against how many £1000’s it costs.

Good luck.