Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Roland Giving Free upgrade to firmware adding RIPC to VP540

• Roland Giving Free upgrade to firmware adding RIPC to VP540

Posted by Joe McNamara on February 5, 2009 at 9:14 am

Hi All,

For the last few weeks I’ve been privileged to beta test the new firmware for the VP540, that gives you the same intelligent pass control as the new versa-art.
    The increase in print speed is around 80% quicker in standard mode.

The RIPC rip feature puts down a "filler pass" of ink that virtually eliminates banding.
    I have attached some pics to demonstrate the speed difference – both images were printed for 4 minutes at standard quality – you can see how much more you get with the RIPC – bloody amazing!
    There are some other good bits as well with this free upgrade, the main one being a much better feed calibration setup – it prints a line of them and you simply pick the best one and use those values – takes seconds to set up.

I wish I could have told you all about this sooner, but was literally sworn to secrecy by Brett Newman at Roland, until the release date which is today – Feb 5th 2009 at 9am.

IT’S A SELF INSTALL AND IS DOWNLOADABLE NOW FROM THE ROLAND DG WEBSITE – TURBOCHARGE YOUR VERSACAMM !!!

Cheers
    Joe

Attachments:

Nick Williamson replied 15 years, 1 month ago 11 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • David Rowland

February 5, 2009 at 9:24 am

hats off to Roland for supporting older equipment

:yeeha:

• Gavin MacMillan

February 5, 2009 at 10:16 am

Don’t suppose there is anything for the SP?

G

• Joe McNamara

February 5, 2009 at 11:58 am

Hi gavin,

Just had a look at roland’s website and it seems it’s just for the vp300 and vp540 mate.

Cheers
    Joe

• Gary Jones

February 5, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Just got this email from them. Going to download now, can’t wait!

• Martin Cole

February 5, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Got my email today also, can’t wait to try it out.
    Amazing results in that pic Joe,

• Mike Grant

February 5, 2009 at 8:54 pm

Booger! Got an "SP" 😥 👿

• Jason Davies

February 5, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Didn’t realise I was only running 2.02 versaworks, just upgrading now, looking forward to the difference.

Jason

• Paul S Martin

February 5, 2009 at 10:23 pm

80% Thats great news 🙂 🙂 Now I just need the machine 🙁 🙁

I take all new VP machines will have this firmware loaded as standard from that build date (?)

Paul

• Gary Jones

February 6, 2009 at 8:24 am
    quote Jason Davies:

Didn’t realise I was only running 2.02 versaworks, just upgrading now, looking forward to the difference.

Jason

I didn’t realise I was running 1.00! Well from the results, we didn’t notice any difference in quality but must say the print time has improved.

I can’t find any reference to the update changes. Would be nice to have a list to compare from.

• Andrew Blackett

February 6, 2009 at 6:37 pm

I think if you log on to the roland download site it tells you in there. If its not that one theres a link within versaworks to get to the same page.

Andy

• Gary Jones

February 11, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Been using the new firmware for the last week now and the difference is night and day. Although we’re yet to have updated profiles for the right media, the RIPC default ones have been fine.

The printing doesn’t ‘look’ like it’s travelling faster but the print times have been greatly reduced, this is really noticeable on longer runs.

The quality increase is negligible. We haven’t noticed any major improvements BUT the way it now puts the ink down really shrinks any banding problems. We used to have banding problems printing colours such as burgundy on to clear but have had no problems since the update.

Definitely worth the update if you have a compatible printer.

• Nick Williamson

March 13, 2009 at 12:09 pm

since installing the upgrade any files we have used before now print dull and mushy. Any grey seems to be speckled /blotchy and reds and oranges not vibrant any ideas ?? cheers Nick

• Mark Elvidge

March 13, 2009 at 7:37 pm

some people have had issues if they havent updated in the correct order.

for example there are 2 updates to v3. if you were below v3 (ie 2.70) you should update using the full download.
    if you had/have v3.xx then you can just use the updated files.

RVWUpdater30.exe (420MB) — below Ver3.00 user
    RVWUpdater311.exe (85MB) — Ver3.00 or above user

http://dg4.roland.co.jp/en/color.html#rvwlocalup

if you are unsure, request a v3 disc from tech support and get the update sent with it.

Mark.

• Nick Williamson

March 14, 2009 at 12:23 pm

cant find tech support anywhere on that link.

Have downloaded both upgrades again and reloaded them

still unable to update vinyl profiles

thanks anyway