Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions General Printing Topics Roland AJ-740 – Big printer for such little cash?

• Roland AJ-740 – Big printer for such little cash?

Posted by John Wilson on February 15, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Still looking to upgrade my Versacamm as you all know and got told today that Roland are doing AJ-740i for £11k….. RRP is around £30k or something

That’s delivered/installed and ready to go…. just wish I had the space for this beast lol

Anyone else heard about this deal?

David Rogers replied 13 years, 2 months ago 16 Members · 48 Replies
  • 48 Replies
  • Peter Normington

February 15, 2011 at 8:54 pm

who told you that John?
    I just forked out for a new mimaki, maybe I should have waited?

Peter

• John Wilson

February 15, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Too late to get a refund? lol

Got told from a service tech so it’s just finding out what companies are doing the deal… if any cos it seems too good to be true

• Peter Normington

February 15, 2011 at 9:27 pm
    quote John Wilson:

Too late to get a refund? lol

Got told from a service tech so it’s just finding out what companies are doing the deal… if any cos it seems too good to be true

I would think so
    printer arrives tomorrow!

Peter

• Nigel Pugh

February 15, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I can concur what John has said, I was gobsmacked when I heard this but it is true, no hidden extras or anything else stupid.

Nigel

• John Wilson

February 15, 2011 at 9:41 pm
    quote Nigel Pugh – Grafityp:

I can concur what John has said, I was gobsmacked when I heard this but it is true, no hidden extras or anything else stupid.

Nigel

I’m guessing yous have this offer then? Can i give you an IOU? haha

• Nigel Pugh

February 15, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Typical Mr.Wilson, you drink our stand dry and still want extra, can you give me that IOU on paper that is worth the deal…..to answer your question it is for how long it lasts is a legit offer.

Nigel

• John Wilson

February 15, 2011 at 10:13 pm

So is it a done deal Peter? At that price you’d be crazy to knock it back

If I was you I’d cancel the cheque and don’t answer the door tomorrow haha

• Peter Normington

February 15, 2011 at 10:20 pm

they got the money john 🙁

peter

• Robert Lambie

February 15, 2011 at 11:02 pm

We have one, excellent machines… very fast. do exactly what they say on the tin….

got to say, when i saw the one listed in the UKSB shop at £15k i was very surprised… definitely a good buy even at £15k or the £11k… not sure if the UKSB shop one is still available mind you. 😀

• Peter Normington

February 15, 2011 at 11:10 pm

ok the one in the shop has a rrp of 15k but its ex showroom, but actual asking price is not shown
    john says that the rrp was 30k? so maybe I am not that disappointed,
    peter

• Robert Lambie

February 15, 2011 at 11:12 pm

i think it might be gone then as that looks edited… (but have changed in mean time) I’m sure Nigel will confirm…

RRP is £30k for the machine.

• Peter Normington

February 15, 2011 at 11:17 pm

when I looked a minute ago rrp was 15k. and ring for price so who edited?
    I’m now really confused.com 🙁

• David Rowland

February 15, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Blimey, cheaper then Nigels’ lasers

• Robert Lambie

February 15, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Me of course! :lol1:
    read my reply above… ive altered so Nigel can confirm.

The original "did not" read like that, i know, because i listed it and i know the price off hand, as i said, i was also surprised to see it being sold at £15k ex-demo or not.

my guess is it has been sold and i have done a typo when removing… but in the off chance its not gone ive re-listed. will know by tomorrow im sure. 😳

:lol1:

• Bob Clarkson

February 15, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I know nothing much about these printers, but I do know rrp prices are something no one ever pays, and the rrp prices will vary, even though they technically can’t!

But as the saying goes, if something’s to good to be true, it probably is..

• Nigel Pugh

February 15, 2011 at 11:33 pm

I can confirm the original rrp was £29,999 + Vat for the AJ but of course you could have always done a deal for a better price maybe a grand or so lower but nothing like the price now doing the rounds.

As for the ex-demo machine if it is the one from us then all I can say today it is a buyers market…….

Nigel

• Robert Lambie

February 15, 2011 at 11:36 pm

these are very reputable machines from one of the industries most reputable suppliers. these are not new machines to the market… tried and tested all over the world. i think they came in at around £32k when first launched, more expensive for the wider model.
    my guess the price will have been dropped for the launch of a newer model approaching and they are perhaps trying to exhaust stock. definitely NOT a purchase with a sting in its tail. 😀

• Nigel Pugh

February 15, 2011 at 11:37 pm
    quote Bob Clarkson:

I know nothing much about these printers, but I do know rrp prices are something no one ever pays, and the rrp prices will vary, even though they technically can’t!

But as the saying goes, if something’s to good to be true, it probably is..

Bob I rarely reply on the forums and only do so if asked to or can help with a question, in this case and a rarity it is, the price is one of those were the deal is straight up and certainly goes against the grain.

Nigel

• Bob Clarkson

February 16, 2011 at 12:14 am

I wasn’t being that specific. It was just the cutter I wanted had over a 30% variation in price between the cheapest and the dearest for the exact same machine.

We are going into a buyers market, that’s for sure, even today I paid £400 for a £725 rrp washing machine, admittedly average price was around £600 though, and got the delivery and removal thrown in. No doubting there are bargains to be had, just at who’s ultimate expense in the question.

• Jason Xuereb

February 16, 2011 at 4:41 am

$17000 AUD for an AJ?

Someone want to send me one over 😀

RRP in AUD here for an AJ740 is AU $71,495.00

• Ian Johnston

February 16, 2011 at 9:17 am

you pay the shipping jason and i’ll soon get you one 😀

• Jamie Wood

February 16, 2011 at 2:24 pm

At that price I want one. Rob – as you already have one, what are your opinions?
    Is the 42 sq m speed simply sales talk, or will it produce good quality at that speed.
    If not, what is your guess at a sensible speed for good quality output?

Cheers,
    Jamie.

• Gary Birch

February 16, 2011 at 3:03 pm
    quote Jamie Wood:

At that price I want one. Rob – as you already have one, what are your opinions?
    Is the 42 sq m speed simply sales talk, or will it produce good quality at that speed.
    If not, what is your guess at a sensible speed for good quality output?

Cheers,
    Jamie.

Would be interested in this also. I have spoken to Graphityp this morning, and am hoping to go down on Friday with files in hand.

As I am considering upgrading one of our printers anyway it seems like a deal too good to miss. Just need to find out whether this machine is for me or not.

Cheers

Gary

• Harry Cleary

February 16, 2011 at 4:02 pm
    quote Jason Xuereb:

$17000 AUD for an AJ?

Someone want to send me one over 😀

RRP in AUD here for an AJ740 is AU $71,495.00

You lodge the $71,495 dollars to my bank account and then I will buy the printer and with the balance I will send you 7,003 banners. Hows that?

p.s. I would have gotten the money of my Uncle (the fiduciary manager of the Fidicial Central Bank here) but he has just been killed in a plane crash 😮 😮 🙄 😀

• John Wilson

February 16, 2011 at 4:55 pm

How’s your machine Peter? Did you get a laminator with it?

Saying that I’m sure if you had bought the Roland would have had enough left over for a laminator and still maybe have some change 😉

• Nigel Pugh

February 16, 2011 at 6:36 pm
    quote Dave Rowland:

How did I miss this, Dave you started asking about lasers back when I had hair lol………I suppose at Sign UK you will look again…and again…and again 😛

• Warren Beard

February 16, 2011 at 6:42 pm
    quote Nigel Pugh – Grafityp:

quote Dave Rowland:

How did I miss this, Dave you started asking about lasers back when I had hair lol………I suppose at Sign UK you will look again…and again…and again 😛

until you have them in a hand held model that is a reasonable price he won’t buy one, you can’t expect him to run around with him friends playing space rangers with a big machine strapped to his back now can you? 🙄 :lol1:

• Peter Normington

February 16, 2011 at 7:32 pm

having done a bit of research, not sure if this machine is such a bargain.
    sounds a bit like a white elephant from what I have heard.
    it needs extractor and filter units, inks are expensive in the big carts, print quality and drying problems have been mentioned,
    so dont all rush off and buy one!
    I have also been told that only a few of these machines have been sold in the uk,
    I will stand to be corrected, but if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is has already been mentioned……
    Peter

• Peter Normington

February 16, 2011 at 7:43 pm
    quote John Wilson:

How’s your machine Peter? Did you get a laminator with it?

Saying that I’m sure if you had bought the Roland would have had enough left over for a laminator and still maybe have some change 😉

All installed an running good, I already have a laminator,
    Peter

• John Wilson

February 16, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Rob: How’s that white elephant running for you?

• John Wilson

February 16, 2011 at 8:53 pm
    quote Peter Normington:

having done a bit of research, not sure if this machine is such a bargain.
    sounds a bit like a white elephant from what I have heard.
    it needs extractor and filter units, inks are expensive in the big carts, print quality and drying problems have been mentioned,
    so dont all rush off and buy one!
    I have also been told that only a few of these machines have been sold in the uk,
    I will stand to be corrected, but if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is has already been mentioned……
    Peter

And who told you that? The guy installing your printer? lol

John

• Peter Normington

February 16, 2011 at 9:05 pm

No it wasnt actually, I never mentioned it to him,
    if you think its a good deal John, why not just buy one?
    There are only a few left in stock at roland (from a reliable source)
    so if its so good you could buy a couple and sell them on and make a nice profit?

All these type of deals need to be looked at, and if it will work for you then go for it,
    but you must look at the full picture
    just ask why it is "such a bargain"

Peter

• John Wilson

February 16, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Maybe it’s being phased out for newer model… why do you always have to see the bad in a good thing? Is life really that bad? lol

I have no need for a 74" printer…. 54" all I need…. how the hell would I load a 74" printer on my own? "Oi Karen do you mind closing the restaurant to help me load up some banner material?" 😉

John

• Peter Normington

February 16, 2011 at 9:36 pm
    quote John Wilson:

Maybe it’s being phased out for newer model… why do you always have to see the bad in a good thing? Is life really that bad? lol

I have no need for a 74″ printer…. 54″ all I need…. how the hell would I load a 74″ printer on my own? “Oi Karen do you mind closing the restaurant to help me load up some banner material?” 😉

John

John I am not seeing bad in a good thing, if its being phased out it will be offered at a discount price, at 11k you could still buy one and load it with smaller rolls that you could handle on your own.
    Great that you let us know of the offer, and yes no strings attached as Nigel has pointed out.
    But if an extraction unit is needed, then how much is that? is it still a good deal?

Like I said, done a bit of research.

You need to weigh up the pro’s and con’s, before spending your hard earned,
    it may be a good or a bad buy at 11k, but it depends on how you use it.

Peter

• Robert Lambie

February 16, 2011 at 11:28 pm
    quote Peter Normington:

Like I said, done a bit of research

:lol1: :lol1: you done a "bit" of research… must have been pretty extensive research, you were keen on it only last night. :lol1: :lol1:

the model i have has NO extraction unit on it.
    it also runs along side our grenadier.

two machines buzzing back and forward in the same room.

regardless to what solvent machine you have Peter, Your room should have a form of extraction. one bringing in air, one out. end of… these are not expensive at all.

if you mean some form of on-board extraction unit? did you see one on the big roland printer being used several feet from were you sat in the Roland showroom? they started up several machines all at once via one computer and versaworks as they did the demo for us. anyway… we dont have one, print lots and zero problems or complaints of strong ink odur.
    we have two fans as mentioned… about foot in diameter, powerful. but still inexpensive.

Inks, I run our machines using Colourific inks. not expensive and do a brilliant job.

had the machine about 18-24 months, never missed a beat, and been using the same inks throughout that time. never had a call out, never had any down time, never had a single part changed.

as for drying problems… I haven’t a clue what that’s about. we run artic truck wraps, heavy coverage, roll-to-roll… week in week out. no drying issues what so ever!

Yes if you are going to try and cram a machine that size into a warm room "at home", sat with your nose only feet away from the print head… "your gonna pee your pants and forget your name for a bit"… due to the Buzz!
    but that’s not the environment a huge majority of sign companies will be moving a machine like this into, is it?

Just some feedback from the guy that’s been "doing his in-house research" on one for nearly 2 years. :lol1:

• David Rowland

February 16, 2011 at 11:42 pm

i didn’t do enough research but still happy enough

• Robert Lambie

February 17, 2011 at 12:00 am
    quote Dave Rowland:

i didn’t do enough research but still happy enough

yeh and bet you were up all night too mate… :lol1:

• Jason Xuereb

February 17, 2011 at 7:16 am

Th only downfall of this machine if you don’t own a printer it max’s out at 720dpi.

So if you need higher resolution stuff its not the machine for you.

• John Wilson

February 17, 2011 at 11:21 am

Rob: Take a bow son! haha

• Peter Normington

February 17, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Rob,
    yes I was keen on it, thats why I asked several people about this printer, all in the trade, and one a Roland agent, not the one that I bought my mimaki from. So I did do research, I posted what I had been told, and passed this on as food for thought, I did not offer my own opinion on the printer as I have never used one, only what I had been told, people should do the same, rather than just dashing out and buying one, and then make up their own minds, "because it used to be 30k and now it is only 11k." does not necessarily make it the bargain of the century.

Peter

• Neil Speirs

February 17, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Yes it does 😉

• Bob Clarkson

February 17, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I’m not commenting on printers, because I don’t have or want one, but I have to agree with Peter on the general concept of bargains!

A manufacturer would be pretty stupid to sell a good quality machine, that was worth 30k for 11k unless there was a fairly good reason for doing it.

If two products are of the same quality, and price is the thing that makes your mind up, a few hundred would swing it, taking two thirds of it’s cost would be pointless.

I would be rather suspicious, especially in the sign industry when a lot of distributors rely on new or inexperienced signmakers lack of knowledge or established signmakers inability to research to know exactly what they need or to be able to make calculable comparisons of products often mis-described.

• Andrew Ritchie

February 18, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Not interested in getting involved in the whole, "there must be a catch" comments. it is one thing giving your views, its another when they are being pressed on us. especially when you have no knowledge or expereince of the machine. 🙄

I personally have been using the AJ-740 now for the last 2 years and I think it’s a fantastic piece of kit. I run it along with a Grenadier which sits just feet away from it.

What Rob has said is all true.

It has everything that we need from a printer, huge print area, variable speed and quality settings to suit all manner of jobs you can throw at it. Never had a single fault since purchase and is easy to use via Versaworks.

The printer suits our needs 100%.

I bet in the last week alone i have run more than £11k worth of prints through it.

Just my views and opinion from "another" experienced user of the Roland AJ-740.

anyway, i have been watching the thread and didn’t want to get involved. but some of the comments that i see have now been removed. got my back up a little as i am sure it has others.

Time to go home, so I will bow out now and let the thread carry on. :lol1:

• Gary Birch

February 18, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Well I went to have a look today and was suitably impressed. It was run without the extraction and to be honest there wasn’t hardly any odour at all. The print quality isn’t as good as the versacamm but I didn’t go expecting it to be, having said that for 95% of our work it will be perfectly acceptable.

I came away undecided which way to jump but I am 99% sure that come Monday morning I’ll be placing the order as for our needs this is just too good a deal to miss. I’ll give more feedback in a couple of years time.

We will keep hold of one of the versacamms though as in my opinion no printer can be all things to all men.

Thanks to John Wilson for the heads up on this deal. Much appreciated mate
    😉

Cheers

Gary

• Jamie Wood

February 18, 2011 at 11:55 pm

I too have been reading this thread with interest, and can see a lot of Peter’s points.

At one point, we were considering a Mimaki JV5, but were put off of it due to reports of
    unreliability and poor drying times, and i understand that this machine is the Roland
    equivalent. We chose a JV33 instead, and have never regretted this decision. However, at this price, I would be interested to hear if the print quality is comparable to a JV33,
    as we could do with the extra speed, but I wouldn’t like to compromise on quality.

I guess the best way would be to go and see one, but if anyone has seen the output
    from both, I would be interested to hear.

• Bob Clarkson

February 19, 2011 at 12:30 am

Like I said I know nothing about printers, and have no inclination to start. However if there really is no catch, and they don’t have literally dozens to shift and it’s a brilliant machine, wouldn’t it make sense to buy them up and corner the market on distribution.

A large sign company could credibly market them from their premises, including a demonstration facility as they’d already own one and have the knowledge. If 30k is the start price, and they were selling at that, buy the lot and sell them for 20k. That’s just basic business, remember no one gets rich from hard work…..

• Kevin Flowers

February 19, 2011 at 11:50 am

Well i have read this thread and took in what members have said and even compared about the AJ740 & the JV33. What no one does seem to have realised is you are talking about 2 totally different printers. The AJ being more aimed at companies who are putting out multiple rolls a day and the JV targeted at smaller companies who need to run maybe up to a single roll a day. Even if you half the maximum stated 90sqmtrs speed, the AJ740 is capable of 40 plus meters an hour. The JV33 maximum 17 sqmtrs an hour halved gives you a speed of around 8 meters. The AJ takes 100kilo rolls, the Mimaki about 25-30 kilos. So two very different classes of printer each meant for what they where built for. As to ink smells the AJ uses a mild solvent as do standard Mimaki’s which if you read data sheets should also be filtered, however the main difference is the quantity that the AJ pushes through in an hour.
    If you take a printer similar to an AJ run it an hour a day you will probably have problems, same with the JV run it flat out day in day out it will start to show its use.
    All machines run only as good as the operator hence why we get so many threads about why does my machine do this etc and many operators will end up with a personal preference.
    I have seen both of these machines running but have never actually operated one in production hence i have not given a review on either just facts that can be researched by anyone. A review is only worthy if its is first hand knowledge and not just comments from a 3rd party otherwise we might as well just listen to the salesmen.
    So for the sake of the boards can we keep information on machines coming, but stop turning them in to slanging matches over personal preferences and let more members get enjoyment out of the threads

Kev

• David Rogers

February 19, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Kevin…hear-hear.

We are presently looking at an AJ due to the amount of print we currently buy in. Truth be told my plotter doesn’t get used nearly as much as I’d like but the market we are serving & developing benefits from superb full colour images at large scale.

Premium print quality is very important as is a fast throughput and from what the manufacturers say the print quality levels are acceptable and the actual speed is of little importance to us. We actually have very little use for 90m2 an hour or even 40 at this time as the jobs we do at present are between 5 and 20m2 per client…so it’s no big deal if it prints at ‘only’ 10m2.

Whilst I’ve ran a cadet 540 and the print quality was fine the print speed to achieve good results was exceptionally slow.

At £11k it’s apparently a no-brainer. Sure, there are puzzling thoughts as to how a £30k machine can be reduced by two thirds yet a 2 year old cadet can sell for the same…

OK, so it doesn’t have a print & cut facility – but so far, maybe 1% of our jobs require profile cutting the rest are fascias, windows, banners etc.

I’m sure I could figure out how to get the OPOS working on my 1400mm Summa pro if I had to…

Anyway – it’s not like Pcut/foison etc have released it now is it? Roland have a reputation for printers that do exactly what they are meant to do…this one may not be capable of 1440 dpi – but as I design nearly all of my large format stuff at 200dpi I can’t see the problem.

Dave