Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl RIPPLE problems with APS/LG CHEM/LC 7000 vinyl

• RIPPLE problems with APS/LG CHEM/LC 7000 vinyl

Posted by marooned on December 5, 2002 at 4:14 pm

I’VE GOT TO APPLY SOME LETTERING TO WINDOWS WITH A FULL ‘WRAPAROUND’ DROP SHADOW. ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO SUCCEED WITHOUT THOSE DAMNED RIPPLES THAT SPRING BACK FROM THE ACUTE INTERNAL CORNERS. I KNOW THAT YOU CAN’T AVOID THAT TINY LINE ROUND THE LETTERING WHERE THE SECOND THICKNESS OVERLAPS THE FIRST, BUT, THERE MUST BE SOME WAY OF AVOIDING THE RIPPLES – OTHER THAN TO STAND LIKE A ‘DIVVY’ WITH YOUR THUMBS AGAINST THE GLASS FOR HOUR AFTER HOUR – OR UNTIL THE POLICE ARRIVE!!!

HELP

Martin Pearson replied 21 years, 4 months ago 9 Members · 23 Replies
  • 23 Replies
  • Sparky

December 5, 2002 at 5:32 pm

Just out of interest ….. What vinyl are you using. i only ask because i had this problem on every surface with one particular brand of vinyl but others I have spoken to seem to get along fine with it.

Sorry, I don’t know the answer unless you name the vinyl I’m thinking of & we both know the answer to that one !!

I don’t want to mention the name of the vinyl as it seems unfair …. at the moment it’s only me that’s had this problem !!

regards,

John

• Fat Bob

December 5, 2002 at 7:19 pm

Hi
    Just a thought put have you tried laying up the drop shadow and letters on a light box on just one piece of application tape. then applying to window in one piece.

I apreciate this cannot always be done depending on the design but sometimes it pays
    to think about this method.

Hope this is of use……… FB

• marooned

December 6, 2002 at 8:39 am

APS/LG CHEM/LC 7000…supposedly 5/7 yrs

• Mike Brown

December 6, 2002 at 8:45 am

I’ve never come across this wrinkling?…but that doesn’t mean it won’t happen the next time…I’d like to know more.

Has anyone else experienced this and are there any piccies?…

more soon

mikethesign

• Sparky

December 6, 2002 at 8:52 am

Hi m8

Yep LG CHEM is the one I found was doing it on almost any surface (painted sides of bulk tipper trailers / foamex / vans). Please excuse my reluctance to be the first to name it but I really thought it was just me not being able to get along with it.

Before it I used Mactac 3-5 & 5-7 without problems & now i use Mac or Victory’s 5000 series, again without problems.

Mike … I can’t get any pics because I don’t have any LG now, but maybe somebody else can ??

Regards,

John

• jon vital

December 6, 2002 at 10:21 am

Are you putting it on wet?

• Tim Shaw

December 6, 2002 at 10:49 am

We have also had trouble with LG materials.

Allprint supplies push LG as perfect for banners, but it ‘wrinkles like mad”
    so we are having top replace two banners FOC.

Thay are also pushing a new material for Edge use, but this morning it performed badly so we have ‘slung it’

• Adrian Howard

December 6, 2002 at 11:10 am

we also purchased some lg for our edge and have slung it
    waste of time would never buy it again………..
    LG is a load of c*** dont try it, even at a £1 a m for 610 you will end up replacing graphics in no time, we tried a banner and it looked awful so re cut with oracal banner vinyl and replaced, perfect result

Have just tried apa digital cast for edge it is perfect for wrapping does not strech, very conformable and gives you a nice finish, prints perfectly and is well priced

Adrian

• Steve Broughton

December 6, 2002 at 12:20 pm

They were giving 10 mtr rolls of this stuff away at the sign show earlier this year, it was white but when I got outside it had a pink tinge 😆 it was about as much use as a chocolate fire guard 😆 😆 LG are a huge company, they make all kinds of stuff, chemicals, electrical stuff machinery, loads, looks like they’re a jack of all trades and a master of none!

• Fat Bob

December 6, 2002 at 9:20 pm

I have Been Using lg And not found it to wrinkle but I have had the pink/white
    and found that on the reflex blue on glass you could see streaks in the glue.
    that added to the facts that it is a fast grab(cant move it easy if you mess up)
    and I cant stand the clingy back sheet makes it a no – no for me.

My favorite for Years has been intercoat but there is problems getting stock from
    aps and they keep trying to push unmarked Vinyl of the same Quality (MY Bottom)
    or lg so Ii think its time to look else where which is anoying as in fairness to aps thier
    service for the time I have Known them has been nothing less than brilliant for me
    and my major Client.

After Reading some of your posts I will give Oracle a Try I did many Years ago
    and was not impressed and called it Oribble Oracle Let you know when I tried it.

FB

• Martin Pearson

December 7, 2002 at 12:23 am

I’m a bit confused here, I dont understand what the problem is. Could someone please explain it again, sorry to be such a dummy.
    As for LG vinyl, we had a sample from the sign show and have purchased some black, I couldnt really get on with it I found it difficult to weed, especially small text as the backing paper seemed to be sticky. I havent tried it on banners, I’m always wary of using anything other than banner vinyl on banners despite what the sales reps tell you. From reading the above I’m glad I havent now.

• jon vital

December 10, 2002 at 3:21 pm

The only time I’ve seen anything like that is when fitting wet and using too much water.

• Sparky

December 10, 2002 at 3:26 pm

“too much water” Maybe John, don’t know but we do 90% of our work wet on various substrates & have never had this problem. With LG it did it on the sides of bulk tipping trailers (about 22″ lettering) and on foamex.

Maybe it’s not a good vinyl for us “amatuers” 🙂

John

• Martin Pearson

December 10, 2002 at 5:21 pm

When I first started I used to flood everything, thinking the more water the better, but I never managed to do anything like that, the only time I have had a problem similar to this is when I spent to much time trying to apply the application tape and not enough time applying the vinyl. With big graphics and lots of large areas in the application tape where there was no vinyl I think I must have been stretching the application tape.

• Sparky

December 10, 2002 at 6:33 pm

Martin,

“never managed anything like that” Try LG vinyl m8, i’m sure you will 😆 😆

we have used a lot of different vinyls over the past couple of years, some were too expensive, some were cheap & nasty, some didn’t weed to well ……. but this stuff takes the prize …. no other vinyl can do this, unless somebody knows different ??

Now where’s me Mactac 🙂

John

• Fat Bob

December 10, 2002 at 9:24 pm

Hi Lads

I notice you all keep Talking about wet application I assume you have all tried the normal Things like..

Applicaton fluid ( How Much a litre!)
    Water with a dash of Soap ( why is it Sliding Every where)
    Just Water( Mostly ok or grabs to much).

So Heres A little Trick….. Try it and Let me Know How you get on.

6 parts water (clean) to 1 part Methylated spirt Shake well
    use on fine spray & just mist before laying down.

Note Usually only good for about a day and if you leave it in your bottle it stinks and
    does not have the same affect.

Good or Bad let me Know Cheers FB

• Martin Pearson

December 10, 2002 at 11:56 pm

Cheers Sparky, I’ll order some LG right away and I’ll keep practicing untill I have mastered this technique !!!!!!!!!!!

• Sparky

December 11, 2002 at 8:57 am

Martin: Don’t order too much mate, it’s a neat trick but makes you look silly trying to hold it on a van with your thumbs, or are you a real techie & got a hairdryer 😀 😀 😀

BOB: Will try that one m8.
    We use the water / meths method, sometimes with a drop of cheapo washing up liquid to help it slide a bit. Very rarely get problems, I worked out pretty quickly that it’s NOT a good idea on glass 😆 & most of the time that is all we do dry.

I would love to know the reason for LG doing this trick, seems that at least 2 of us have had the problem & I certainly havn’t had it with anything else ??

Any more takers ????

• Martin Pearson

December 11, 2002 at 4:50 pm

Sparky, the question of me owning or not owning a hairdryer is private m8 and I’m certainly not going to answer questions like that on a public board !!
    You never know who may be reading these posts.

• Sparky

December 11, 2002 at 4:56 pm

Point taken Martin !

I don’t own a hairdryer …. honest …. it’s Donna’s …. 🙄 🙄

• Fat Bob

December 11, 2002 at 9:59 pm

Hi Sparky. ( These are my observations and are not aimed at my brothers)

We all get Problems with glass and I find that there are two things that seem on the face
    of it to affect the finished article more than most. one is cleaning it properly we all do it just spray a bit of water on it wipe it of with a paper towel or squeegee then towel
    which works fine as long as someone hasent used that magic stuff which stops dirt clinging to windows or furniture polish with silicone in it. In which case you have to use something to get it off.

The second major factor is your applicator Technique there are loads ways to use it
    but are we doing it right… has any one shown us or like most have we taught ourselves
    After Struggling for a long time I suddenly clicked one day and look no bubbles. Before that I didnt just get bubbles … I got life support systems.

Then Along comes Mr Felt applicator and every thing was suddenly easy. And you get lazy and forget what you taught yourself… and up pops that little glass job
    and….. Why has it gone bubbly.

Because I was a lazy git and did not do what I taught myself..

So my Point is I suppose those of us who are lazy and the ones who who have never been shown would like a demo on basic applicator techniques please…..You can never stop learning.

FB

• Sparky

December 12, 2002 at 7:43 am

Hi Bob,

Quite agree with all that m8 🙂
    We are basically self taught with a lot of help from members of this and other boards, BUT …. I do exactly the same, I think we have mastered something & get complacent ….. t*ts up time :))

I think this is an easy business to get into & by the time we find out just how difficult it can be it’s too late to get out 🙂 It would be interesting to see how we would be going about this if I had never found Grahames or Roberts sites …….. still be trying to get vinyl to stick to glass wet (:) (:)

Time for work …

John

• Martin Pearson

December 12, 2002 at 11:31 am

I think you are right Bob, being self taught myself I use a squeege how I think it should be used I have never been shown or taught the right way to hold a squeege and the right technique for using it. I know from reading posts that you should work from the centre out but thats where my knowledge ends. I proper demo on how to use an applicator properly would be a really good idea. Like you say it might be going back to basics but if you have never been taught you dont know what the basics are.