Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions HP Printers RIP for HP L25500, help needed?

• RIP for HP L25500, help needed?

Posted by Chris J Griggs on January 29, 2016 at 5:12 pm

Hi I have the option to buy a L25500 latex at a good price but now find I need
    To get onyx or other rip to run it and these is taking it out of budget,
    Any suggestions for a cost effective solution ?

Kevin Busby replied 7 years, 2 months ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Peter Johnson

January 30, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Hi Chris.

Unfortunately, I don’t think you’re going to find anything really cheap. RIP software comes with a licence and it’s effectively the licence that costs the money. If people change RIP, they almost certainly sell the old one WITH the licence and they will charge for it.

• Stafford Cox

January 31, 2016 at 10:32 am

As above, RIP software isn’t cheap. Think about how quickly you’ll get a return on you investment though.

Best thing to do is to try and obtain a free trial of all the big players. Onyx drives latex printers but I’m not sure about a trial version, Wasatch is another RIP but I don’t know it very well, Caldera is said to be lightening fast but again, I’m not sure if it drives HP latex or if there’s a trial version. I can tell you for certain that Shiraz can run an L25500 and there is a free 14 day trial version from their website. Give Shiraz Signature a try as it’s cheaper than the standalone version. It is still about the same price as most other RIP software but the quality is great (probably better in my biased opinion) 🙂

Good luck
    Stafford

• Chris J Griggs

January 31, 2016 at 12:18 pm

Thanks for your tips , I have wasatch for my Rolland but upgrade is £1000 for the Hp , l am now probably going to get flexi pro on subscription this seems the best option and it has good results as far as I have read

• Peter Johnson

January 31, 2016 at 5:34 pm

I have Wasatch for my L26500. I got it fairly cheap(ish) as I bought it with the printer. But another aspect you really need to think about is the hardware required to run the RIP.

For example (from what I can remember when I was looking at different RIP’s) Caldera requires a minimum Pentium i3 processor, 4GB RAM and LINUX as the operating system. If you already have that then no problem. But if you don’t, it’s another cost to factor in. Whereas, on the other hand, I bought a cheap old Athlon dual core PC with 3GB RAM and Windows XP and it runs Wasatch fine. Saying that, I haven’t done any massive print runs as yet, so if you are looking at processing huge print files, then maybe a more powerful machine is the way to go.

• Chris J Griggs

February 1, 2016 at 8:51 am

Thanks I going to get the flexi subscription as use an old version
    And prefer it to sign lab . I do large trucks, you have probably seen them
    On the motorway FRontier Facetrucks,
    My pc is old bus has 3 core and 2gb and works fine.
    With wasach for Rolland. Had some issues this weekend with large pdf missing bits down the side of print. Change it to normal eps and seems ok but now lost
    Black fade on the bottom ?

• Ian Stewart-Koster

March 18, 2017 at 6:52 am

Well, how did you get on with choosing a RIP, Chris?

I’m in the same boat- bought an HP L25500, and no rip. The seller uses Onyx and is keeping it for his next machine.
    I’m trying to find an ‘affordable’ (low cost) option till it starts earning its keep…
    Flexi 10 supposedly has drivers for it- but you seemingly have to pay extra to get thhe unlock code, or something like that.
    I did download a 250 meg driver file off the HP website, but can;t open it or do anythng with it. It’s a FMW file, and I couldn’t get it opened or installed.

• Myles Brewer

March 18, 2017 at 2:17 pm

Flexi subscription works fine for me on my 26500 HP colour profiles seem to work on most media without any adjustments. If needs be you can easily adjust profiles to suit & save them.

• Ian Stewart-Koster

March 18, 2017 at 10:31 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I decided to try the Onyx ProductionHouse trial. After 4 goes at downloading the 2.7 gig file, I got it, then there were no printer drivers when I went to install it last night… and I could not get the ‘printer driver installer’ (a separate download) to work…

The workshop is not on the internet, only the house, and I intend to keep it that way, but this makes it sloooow, when things just don;t seem to go right.

• Kevin Busby

March 20, 2017 at 1:34 pm

I still have a Caldera Rip for 2500/2600 and 300 series available with dongle but this is for Macs not pc’s. Moved on to Onyx now but dongle and software box all still good. Its version 9.20B comes with license dongle, box etc, contact me if your interested not looking for a fortune.

http://www.caldera.com/support/table-of-compatibilites/