Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Sublimation Printing Ricoh GX700 Subli set up, anyone using?

• Ricoh GX700 Subli set up, anyone using?

Posted by Jeremy Howes on June 18, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Hello,
    My 1290 is on its way out and I am considering the Ricoh GX7000 A3 printer with gel ink setup, is anyone running this system? and if so, what are your comments good or bad?

Thanks for looking

Jeremy

Andrew Bennett replied 14 years, 6 months ago 9 Members · 38 Replies
  • 38 Replies
  • mbroad

June 18, 2009 at 6:01 pm

There is a good thread on the tshirt forum at:-
    http://www.t-shirtforums.com/dye-sublim … 76533.html
    which has a number of comments about the GX7000. All looks good from their perspectives.

We have a customer using the GX7000 system having upgraded from their old Epson A3 printer and we haven’t had any support issues at all. You use the PowerDriver software for printing rather than using an icc profile within PhotoShop/ Corel Draw which is similar to the sublijet setup. Interestingly though the sublijet-R (the extra R is important apparently!) is available through all Artainium distributors rather than having to go to a distributor selling the sublijet inks.

The GX7000 cartridges can also be used in the A4 version (the GX5050), but the GX5050 is like hens teeth to find in stock. Last time I looked for this printer I was told a mobile phone company had bought all the European stock to offer this printer as a deal with mobiles (not for sublimation printing though!).

• John Cooper

July 15, 2009 at 6:39 am

I’ve been reading a lot about the Ricoh GX 7000 and it gets a resounding thumbs-up.

As our present sublimation printer is about to ‘expire’, I’ve been reading all I can about the various alternatives. Presently we’ve been using a laser printer so the method is somewhat different.

Just a couple of questions re: the Ricoh

1. Do you require special transfer papers to print to?
    2. Are the substrates specially coated?
    3. Shirts & the like – are we still stuck with polyester?
    … and finally
    4. What is the washing durability of sublimated clothing?

Cheers

John

Oh! Anyone on here using the GX 7000?

• Kevin Flowers

July 15, 2009 at 8:05 am

Hi
    i looked at the Ricoh at SignUK and had the same file printed on the Ricoh & a epson 6 colour both supplied the image from the same computer and what a difference. The Epson won hands down on colour and clarity of image. Try & get to see a side by side comparison and you will be amazed at the difference.

Kev

• mbroad

July 15, 2009 at 8:24 am
    quote :

1. Do you require special transfer papers to print to?
    2. Are the substrates specially coated?
    3. Shirts & the like – are we still stuck with polyester?
    … and finally
    4. What is the washing durability of sublimated clothing?

If you’ve been using a sublimation printer already then the Ricoh is the same process as the Epson. Paper is the normal sublimation paper, e.g. Trupix, all the substrates have to be specially coated so yes you are "stuck" with the polyester based materials (or a high % of polyester in the garment). Washing durability is permanent as the sublimation ink bonds permanently with the polyester in the fabric so unless you bleach the garment it won’t come out.

The comparison of the Epson 1400 v the Ricoh may not be a totally fair comparison. The Epson uses 6 colours, the Ricoh just 4. Any picture you have in, say Photoshop will be made up of CMYK (the same 4 colours used by the Ricoh) and normally at 300dpi for best results. The Epson uses Light Cyan and Light Magenta as well so there will be a difference on paper. When the pictures are printed onto paper the colouration is always going to be off as the sublimation ink process doesn’t produce a final picture on paper, but the colours and vibrancy come through when transferred to the substrate. Both the Ricoh and the Epson print at well over 300dpi so the quality of the print and final printed substrate should be the same in terms of resolution of picture – there might be a slight difference in colouration due to the different number of cartridges being used, but which one is the more accurate?

The Ricoh printers are available in the A4 version (GX5050) and the A3 version (GX7000). The Ricoh’s also use the PowerDriver software but the Epson could use the Artainium Colour Correction Profile or the PowerDriver software depending on the brand of ink being used.

• John Cooper

July 15, 2009 at 9:29 am

Thanks for the replies guys

You mention ‘sublimation paper’. I was told that as the substrate is ‘coated’ one can use ordinary Epson glossy for example. Perhaps I’m misinformed.

Interesting to hear the side by side printing comparison. I’ve read about every post about the Ricoh GX 7000 on another well known forum and the consensus is that the print quality compared to various Epson sub printers is at least the same! These comments are made by owners of both printers.

I have few more items to read, a few phone calls to make and then I’ll make a decision. I’m swayed towards the Ricoh just now if only for the reason of no clogging!

I’ll be back 🙂

John

• Kevin Flowers

July 15, 2009 at 9:38 am

John
    i may still have the 2 sample mugs i will have to check when i get home tonight

Kev

• mbroad

July 15, 2009 at 6:34 pm
    quote :

you mention ‘sublimation paper’. I was told that as the substrate is ‘coated’ one can use ordinary Epson glossy for example

The sublimation paper is indeed coated one side and this is often to stop the ink soaking into the paper, so a good quality coated paper could be okay.

"Coated" in this sense is not glossy though. Glossy paper makes ink dry instantaneously on contact and is coated in a glue type material so the inks hit the paper and dry on contact and also give the gloss touch for photos. You don’t want to us this type of paper for sublimation.

The sublimation papers such as TruPix allow the ink to release into the substrate. JetCol papers are also coated but allow much more of the ink to sit on the surface of the paper so you get more ink transfer into textiles. None of these are glossy coated as this would just make the ink stick and the gloss surface would probably do strange things to your substrates/ textiles under heat and pressure. It might be messy!

• Justin Mann

September 6, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Looking at getting the GX5050n A4 size printer, question to anyone who’s used the new Ricoh printers……How does the ink usage work out? £69 for a 60ml cartridge is twice as much as a normal subli cart. Do they use less ink when printing?

Cheers,
    Justin

• Ian Pople

October 29, 2009 at 7:03 pm
  • Justin Mann

October 29, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Using the 5050 now. The videos look very interesting, I will check them out.

Justin

• Andrew Bennett

October 29, 2009 at 8:13 pm

the 5050 uses carts i am told but what about the bigger ricoh?

• Justin Mann

October 29, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Both the 5050 and 7000 use the same carts. They’re 60ml and cost around £60+vat each. Very expensive even compared to normal Artainium. It’s fairly early days with mine but the idea is that the printer uses far less ink (it is dry straight away) and also doesn’t have to do anywhere near as many head cleans. In theory it should last longer.

Justin

• John Gregson

October 29, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Funny thing – i was just researching this type of printer and looking into costs etc. I cannot get a "cost per print" anywhere on the tinternet and was wondering whether any of you have this info.

The model i was looking at was the GX7000 – A3 at around the £500 mark + vat – this came with a set of Subli carts.

Cheers John

• Justin Mann

October 29, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Very difficult to work out a cost per print. I think I saw someone on the net try to estimate it…will take another look.

As a large amount of ink is immediately drawn into the pipes the ink levels appear to be 1/2 very quickly.

The ink needs to last twice as long as in a CIS to be economical. At the moment I can’t see that happening but I’m told by many thatthis is indeed the case. 2 of my inks, magenta & yellow are very low and I’ve not printed all that many sheets….just have to see how it goes!

Justin

• Justin Mann

October 29, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Andrew, please send me your email addy. It appears I cannot send PM’s on here 🙁

Justin

• Jeremy Howes

October 29, 2009 at 9:38 pm

If anyone would like a published copy in pdf format of sample printed sheet prices, I would be pleased to send it to you.

PM me with your e-mail address.

Jeremy

• John Gregson

October 29, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Hi Jeremy, Thanks for the offer but I cannot pm you at the mo 😥
    Cheers John

• Justin Mann

October 29, 2009 at 10:29 pm
    quote Jeremy Howes:

If anyone would like a published copy in pdf format of sample printed sheet prices, I would be pleased to send it to you.

PM me with your e-mail address.

Jeremy

Would like to see it but cannot PM either!

Justin

• Ian Pople

October 29, 2009 at 11:22 pm

I have just ordered the 5050 very good price hope it don’t clog up as much as my epson.

Ian

• Paul S Martin

October 30, 2009 at 7:04 am

Hi All

My GX7000 is all GOOD up to this point working well, seems to be worth the extra cost,

Very Helpful at Xpress

Paul 😀

• Andrew Bennett

October 30, 2009 at 5:18 pm

I have just ordered a *brand new* 5050 at a ridiculously low price, I suspect it will be a refurb but the supplier has a good rep so it shouldnt be a problem.
    However, It wont come with the subliR carts, can anyone give me a pointer as to who to go to please?

• Ian Pople

October 30, 2009 at 6:24 pm

Xpress or just google quite a few places to get the carts. Oh and was it flee bay for the printer.

Ian

• Justin Mann

October 30, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Bought my inks from Xpres. How on earth are they selling on FleaBay at this price? Don’t wish to sound sceptical but with the printer now being discontinued surely this will push prices up? Also, the ones on Fleabay have a different brand name on it.

Justin

• John Gregson

October 30, 2009 at 9:27 pm

Hi all, so are the gx5050 and gx7000 discontinued models – I thought they were new models or newish 😮

• Justin Mann

October 30, 2009 at 9:30 pm

The 5050 has been discontinued but the 7000 is still current. I’ve heard there’s something else to replace the 5050, not sure why as it’s an excellent printer and was selling well. I also understand the 7000 has had a big price increase to trade.

Justin

• Andrew Bennett

October 30, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Yes I got mine from an online auction site .
    If as is suggested, the model is being discontinued then surely the price would go down as it would become a clearance item?
    I did pm you as requested jason.

• Paul S Martin

October 30, 2009 at 10:48 pm
    quote Andrew Bennett:

Yes I got mine from an online auction site .
    If as is suggested, the model is being discontinued then surely the price would go down as it would become a clearance item?
    I did pm you as requested jason.

🙁

• Andrew Bennett

October 30, 2009 at 10:50 pm

Savin is a reg trade mark of Ricoh, the ricoh 5050 brochure is the same as the savin brochure with a differnt header.
    Im cool with it at this time

• Justin Mann

October 30, 2009 at 11:15 pm
    quote Andrew Bennett:

Savin is a reg trade mark of Ricoh, the ricoh 5050 brochure is the same as the savin brochure with a different header.
    Im cool with it at this time

Aha, that would answer that! Sounds like an extremely good deal to me, almost too good. The printers are still selling at £270 elsewhere.

Justin

• Andrew Bennett

October 30, 2009 at 11:18 pm

But at the price, what is there to loose trying?

and they come with a manufacturers warranty.

• Justin Mann

October 30, 2009 at 11:21 pm

Nothing to lose…other than £70! Certainly worth a punt I would say. It has to be as advertised though or you’d get a refund through eBay.

Justin

• Justin Mann

November 1, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Just printed a couple of mugs and the design has a solid black background. The black isn’t very dense at all, anyone experienced this?

The print is nowhere near as crisp as on any of my old Epson printers.

Only thing I did different is printed last night and then pressed today.

Justin

• Andrew Bennett

November 2, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Well, Mine arrived today.
    Its in a Ricoh Box, and has Ricoh stamped on it with the red logo on the machine, It has a Ricoh Warranty and genuine Ricoh Inks.
    £70 quid well spent and I have yet to sell those inks.
    Ill set it up once I have purchased said SubliR inks and then I will know if it’s the real McCoy 😀

• Justin Mann

November 2, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Nice one, sounds like you got an absolute bargain! The inks alone must be worth more than that 🙂

Justin

• John Gregson

November 4, 2009 at 9:05 am

Hi Justin,
    Just wondering – did you install the 5050n with the disc that came with the printer and have you installed the correct ICC profile for the ink.

Cheers John

• Jeremy Howes

November 4, 2009 at 9:24 am

Hello Justin and John,
    It might be worth starting a new thread with this subject.

Cheers
    Jeremy

• Ian Pople

November 4, 2009 at 11:47 am

Hello,

JNmann did you sort out the black problem? My 5050 has just arrived today.

Ian

• Andrew Bennett

November 4, 2009 at 9:02 pm
    quote Jeremy Howes:

Hello Justin and John,
    It might be worth starting a new thread with this subject.

Cheers
    Jeremy

Hi,
    Jeremy has a point here.
    Maybe Rob will hive off the 5050 stuff if he thinks fit.