Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions General Sign Topics Replacing my Graphtec CE6000 vinyl cutter.

• Replacing my Graphtec CE6000 vinyl cutter.

Posted by Daniel Evans on November 3, 2019 at 9:16 am

Hi all

I’m thinking of selling my ce6000-60 cutter and and getting a cutter that works on a network as it’s causing me an issue where it is.

I also find that you can’t throw too much at the graphtec otherwise it starts going funny, maybe due to the memory cashe or the usb connection, not actually sure.

Don’t really want to spend too much so was thinking maybe an older model such as an old Graphtec FC or a summa (are these on a network?)

Thoughts on replacing a 2 year old machine for an older one just for network access?

David Stevenson replied 4 years, 6 months ago 7 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • Neil Danley

November 3, 2019 at 9:54 am

I can recommend the Summa range and they can be put on a network – I’m pretty sure this is a new thing as they used to be USB only.

Neil D.

• Daniel Evans

November 3, 2019 at 10:51 am

Thanks Neil, so if I get a used one, I need to confirm it has a network connection.

• Neil Danley

November 3, 2019 at 1:04 pm

From my knowledge yes. I’d grab a new one, mine came with a 2yr warranty i think. Plotters last for ages in my experience, worth spending a little extra and they aren’t a lot of money anyway.

Neil D.

• Daniel Evans

November 3, 2019 at 1:08 pm

I would like a summa S2 160 t series but I could not justify that cost

• Martyn Heath

November 3, 2019 at 5:10 pm

i also have the ce 6000. cant say ive had any issues with mine. Never done anything funny or had problems.

• Daniel Evans

November 3, 2019 at 5:49 pm

Martyn, it’s when I put a job through with about 100 cut vinyl decals, the cutter will start cutting diagonal lines across the whole thing. It works perfect if I limit the number.

• Daniel Evans

November 3, 2019 at 5:50 pm

What software do you use to run yours?

• Iain Pearson

November 3, 2019 at 7:57 pm

Hi Daniel, I’ve got a few different plotters but never had any issues with any of them. I run most recent Sai Flexi and have run flexi on all my machines over the years. You shouldn’t have any problem cutting 100 stickers

• Daniel Evans

November 3, 2019 at 8:22 pm

Thanks Iain. I’m starting to wonder if it’s either the usb cable I’m using or if it’s the cutting master software.

• David Hammond

November 3, 2019 at 8:28 pm

What’s the length of the USB cable you’re using?

What version of Cutting Master are you using?

We’ve always had Graphtec, the FC8000 was great, but USB only. Upgraded to the FC8600, it has network connectivity and a blue stripe, and a few software tweaks.

• Daniel Evans

November 3, 2019 at 9:51 pm

Cutting master 4. The usb cable is about 5m

• Chris Wool

November 3, 2019 at 11:27 pm

the problem you describe sounds like a data – connection fault 5m cable is about as far as the signal likes to go.
    mine goes from the computer to a powered hub then 5m cable to the plotter.
    the plotter usb socket is notorious for damage and failing due to the cable strain and knocked kicked cable etc. so the last couple of feet is looped and secured to the chassis so if tugged the loop will save it.
    you can test for a memory data flow problem by sending lots and lots of circles to cut but you dont even have to have a knife fitted just material so only costs time.
    in days gone by plotter memory was very small and these problems showed up very quickly today they are a lot larger and often swallow a whole cut file in one go so the problem does not show up hardly.
    to cut a box it only needs 5 x,y coordinates a arc may have a new coordinate every 20 thou or so but depends on the shape of the arc.

• Martyn Heath

November 4, 2019 at 6:59 am
    quote Daniel Evans:

What software do you use to run yours?

I run illustator cs 4 and plugin cutting master 3 direct from illustrator.

I use 3m usb cable.

Definatly sounds like a data issue to me.

• Daniel Evans

November 5, 2019 at 7:48 pm

Thanks guys.

It’s getting a new board fitted this week so I might change the cable first and see how it goes

• David Stevenson

November 5, 2019 at 10:55 pm

Our Roland GR640 was doing something similar. It’s would cut for example a full sheet of vehicle graphics then suddenly cut a digional line across them. Fixed with a firmware update

• Daniel Evans

November 5, 2019 at 11:31 pm

Thanks David although using the latest firmware

• David Stevenson

November 6, 2019 at 12:05 am

Unfortunately it’s rarely that easy Daniel 🙁