Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions HP Printers Recommended programs for HP designjet 5000ps (dye)

• Recommended programs for HP designjet 5000ps (dye)

Posted by Sam Schofield on November 1, 2011 at 10:45 am

Hi, i have a HP designjet 5000ps, and i need recommendations for programs to print from, im kinda new to the whole printing thing and ive been making canvases for a few weeks now, but i want to print better quality.
    i have been printing from coreldraw x4, i know some of you will laugh at this.
    thanks sam

Stephen Morriss replied 12 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Stafford Cox

November 1, 2011 at 2:39 pm

There are many RIP’s out there that would do a cracking job of driving an HP5xxx. The one I have most experience with is Shiraz. You can download a copy from http://www.shiraz-software.com (I would go for Shiraz Signature if you’re fairly new to all this).

Some people print direct from Photoshop to these printers with varying results but it’s really no substitute for a good quality RIP. Onyx, EFI, Wastach etc all should be able to do it with ease too.

Good luck
    Stafford

• Stephen Morriss

November 1, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I used to print direct from Corel to my HP3000, results were great and i never had a problem other than the maximum length that could be printed as a vector, got over that by using jpg files.
    I presume there is a printer driver for the 5000 series?

RIP’s are good but why spend the money for little improvement?

Steve

• Stafford Cox

November 1, 2011 at 10:50 pm

You should get quite a large improvement from a RIP if it’s been set up and profiled properly, and the tiling and nesting features are a massive benefit for a lot of people. They are typically very expensive though and if you’re getting great results direct from your application it can been seen as unnecessary.

• Stephen Morriss

November 2, 2011 at 9:36 am

Note the past tense of used to 😉 I don’t have the HP any more and I’ve had a Roland printer for years first using Colorip, then Wasatch and now Versaworks with my SP540.

If you have the work and the income a RIP can have benifits but I was just pointing out that the HP’s do work well without a RIP IF there is a driver available.

Steve