Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers RE-640 or the Versacamm VS 540

• RE-640 or the Versacamm VS 540

Posted by Marc Andrew on October 22, 2012 at 10:34 am

Hi,
    We are looking to purchase either the RE640 or the Versacamm VS540. I would like some advice as to which one to purchase. Obviously the RE640 is larger but does not have the built in cutter, in which case i would buy the Roland GX 640 cutter to compliment it. Also am i correct in understanding it does not use metallic inks?
    On the other hand is the VS540, smaller but with a built in cutter and the chance to use metallic inks.
    How do these two machines compare in regards to speed and print quality?
    What combination should be chosen for us? We will be doing runs of labels, larger window graphics and banners etc.
    Your help is greatly appreciated.

Marc Andrew replied 11 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Joe Wigzell

October 22, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Hiya Marc,

My name’s Joe and I work for Roland, I look after the Academy and the Creative Centre here at our HQ…seeing as you are already looking at a Roland I thought I’d offer my opinion/advice (I’m not a salesman!).

A few points to discuss:-
    Speed
    Both the RE and the VS can print at similar speeds with the RE being that bit faster. As the VS is a bit smaller and has more colour options it would make it come second in a race, the max print speeds are 21.2 sqm/hr and 23.1m²/hr so not a huge difference.
    Colour
    The RE runs a dual 4 colour CMYK system, whereas the VS has the option of 4 different configurations. The extra Light Cyan and Light Magenta will give you a larger gamut and better tones, and the White and Metallic options are great if you have a market for the outputs (which it sounds like you do if you want to do window graphics).
    Quality
    Both machines use the same print head and will come as standard with Roland VersaWorks included in the price of the machine, so in theory have the same print quality-apart from the additional colours of the VS.
    Applications
    Obviously having the built in cutter will give the VS an advantage over the RE in terms of varied applications, but the extra width will help you when it comes to larger graphics with the RE. I know that there are currently deals with the GX640 which opens up the print and cut possibilities to you, however you will have to manually change images across which might be a negative in terms of your time…but on the flip side, when you are printing you can be vinyl cutting, or prepping other/older bits of work! If you are going to be doing most of your work print only (banners etc) but just want the extra cutting option, then why not go for the bigger machine? If you want to save on time and have everything on offer to you in one convenient place- go for the VS!?
    You
    I think that in the end this decision will come from balancing what is best for your business and your applications, which you know best! Both options will fit your needs I think it is just a fine line as to which is right for you!

I hope that has been of some help and would welcome others to offer their opinions 🙂

Let me know how you get on, and if there’s anything else I can do to help
    (?)

Cheers

• Marc Andrew

October 23, 2012 at 10:43 am

Many thanks for your reply and information. It certainly helps in my decision making.