Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl Putting Avery 600 onto Cast File?

• Putting Avery 600 onto Cast File?

Posted by NeilFox on June 13, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I have a customer who is unhappy with the colour of the box body of some new trucks they have purchased. The cab is Diamond white, while the box body is an off white and it is very noticeable. They have asked us to wrap the box body in a bright white. So I was thinking of MPI 1004 EA to wrpa the box body and then fit their livery using Avery 600 film.

We need to use a conformable material because there are rivets on the box body and they want the material to last 5 – 7 years.

My concern is that the Avery 600 may shrink in a different manner than the cast material.

Am I being paranoid?

Please pass on your comments and experiences that may give me enough info to decide what best to do.

Thanks for looking.

Neil Fox

Chris Wool replied 12 years, 10 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Robert Lambie

June 13, 2011 at 11:21 pm

are we talking these vehicles are brand new and theirs a difference in the shade of white?
    My initial concern would "maybe" be how perfect will your customer be expecting "your" work, if not intitially, how about 12 months from now when those rivets start to move, loosen up the vinyl around them etc. ok im probably making a mountain out of a mole hill here, just be careful you dont bite off a headache further down the line.

• Peter Mindham

June 14, 2011 at 7:11 am

I agree with Rob. I would have thought if they are new boxes and chassis, it would be better for the client to have the boxes painted to match. You could then livery them afterwards. With the best will in the world, you may face problems later with this. If it were my client, I would recommend paint and then livery.

Just my opinion

Peter

• Peter Normington

June 14, 2011 at 7:16 am

I would also agree with my learned friends,
    not a big job to spray a box, and also no visible joins.

Peter

• NeilFox

June 14, 2011 at 7:25 am

Thanks for the comments.

Robert, they are brand new. The box body is a totally different colour to the cab. They are more cream than white.

My thoughts exactly. The customer will be keeping the vehicles for 5 – 7 years which is my big worry.

There are stainless steel edges to the box body, which are sealed with silicone, so there are areas of lift before we start.

Then there is the area I mentioned in the first place, potential shrinkage over time of the materials.

I am trying to steer them toward painting the box bodies. I know that the cost will be larger for painting in this instance.

I have a feeling that if I do the vinyl overlay, it will cost me dearly in the future.

Thanks again for the reassurance.

Neil

• Chris Wool

June 14, 2011 at 8:37 am

all good points above.
    also the cab paint white will not match the vinyl white, ford diamond white was about the brightest but is not base white. as the vinyl probably is.

if you have ever seen a vehicle painted in base white it looks awful.