Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Sublimation Printing Problems with Ricoh GX7000 printer and Xpres

• Problems with Ricoh GX7000 printer and Xpres

Posted by Lee Reeves on November 26, 2012 at 6:33 pm

We have a Ricoh GX7000 printer with sawgrass inks. Last week it suddenly turned off when I tried to print now it switches on flushes the print head then just turns off I contacted Xpres and the reply I got back was buy a new printer as they have seen the problem before and its always terminal so I contacted Ricoh as we have only printed 131 sheets and they told me its a common problem with this model when using Sawgrass inks so I contacted Xpres again and they are no help at all and just tell me to purchase a new printer.

I would expect a £900 printer to produce more than 131 prints has anyone else had this problem and also experienced the lack of customer service from Xpres?

Steve Underhill replied 10 years, 10 months ago 9 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Dan Osterbery

November 26, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Hi Lee,
    are the sawgrass inks oem? Who do you buy them through?

cheers

Dan

• Lee Reeves

November 26, 2012 at 7:00 pm

We purchased the complete setup from Xpres the sawgrass inks are Sublijet R and cost £240 + VAT per set they were the only inks supplied with the printer (no ricoh inks supplied) we had only used about a 1/4 of the inks now the printer has flushed all the inks through the heads when we tried to turn it on. We just feel that as this is a well know problem with the Ricoh GX7000 when used with sawgrass inks and we purchased it through Xpres as a complete setup for sublimation they should replace the printer.

• Kevin Flowers

November 26, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Had exactly the same proble with a printer purchased from NovaChrome, Ricoh don’t warrant the printer for use with dye sub inks but all of the suppliers forget to tell you that. So you end up with a very expensive door stop but they expect you to part with another £800 for a newer unit which no one knows if a year down the line it will do the same

Kev

• John Thomson

November 27, 2012 at 8:07 am

If you purchased the complete setup from Xpres and only printed 131 sheets I would suggest it is ‘not fit for purpose’ under the sale of goods act?

Had you bought the printer separate and then put in Sawgrass ink you would not have had a leg to stand on…….

John

• Dan Osterbery

November 27, 2012 at 8:59 am

have to agree with John, if it was all bought from xpres, then go back and talk to them. I have used them for years and found them to be good about issues. Talk to them in a calm manner and get them to give you another one!
    (if that doesnt work talk to the magic touch about another setup and what their warranties are like?)

goodluck

Dan

• Tom Robinson

November 27, 2012 at 10:14 am

The Ricoh machines are under warranty by Sawgrass, Not Ricoh, if you’ve only used their inks with them. I had a problem with mine a few months back, albeit purchased through BMS and not Xpress and got put in touch with Sawgrass.

Might be worth trying to go to them direct, I just had to package the printer up, they arranged the courier and it was delivered back to me within a few days.

• Lee Reeves

November 27, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Just a quick update xpres have been no help at all they will not repair or replace our printer even though it has only printed 131 sheet they have offered a free set of inks if I purchase replace printer which is the ricoh gx7700 as this does not have the same fault as the gx7000 well that’s what they have told me anyway.

I think we will be taking legal action against them now.

So any thinking of using them I would think again… There customer service stinks

• John Gregson

November 28, 2012 at 2:08 pm

As Tom has said – the Ricoh’s are supported by a Sawgrass warranty if you bought the kit and ink off a one of sawgrass’s distributors.

Get in touch with Sawgrass, they should sort this out.

• Lee Reeves

November 28, 2012 at 2:25 pm

It seems as if its the Sawgrass carts causing the problem, and sawgrass fixed the problem with the carts in early 2011 but they will not admit to this so anyone that got the old type cart supplied to them will get this problem. I have asked Xpres to get Sawgrass and Ricoh comments on David Gross form Conde in america who supply the states with the majority of the Ricoh and Sawgrass systems comment on another forum

David Gross for Conde in America wrote

Re: Ricoh GX7000 won’t turn on
    Good question.

Ricoh and Sawgrass worked together to
    Identify the cause.

Sawgrass changed their carts and then Ricoh
    Tested the new carts on a very large number
    of printers.

I understand you want details and that is fair.

• John Gregson

November 28, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I belong to another forum and a few members have been affected by problems with Ricoh Printers when using sawgrass sublijet-r inks. Sawgrass have made them very good offers and replaced their gear, for a small fee. Not sure whether the 7000 is included but your problem isn’t with xpres, because as soon as you put the sawgrass inks in, the ricoh or xpres warranty is void.

Got to contact them direct though – not through xpres or Ricoh. I’d post a link of the most recent thread about ricoh printers but not sure if i can post links to another forum!

• John Cooper

September 28, 2013 at 6:47 am

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to add:

I’ve had two GX7000 printers the original purchased from Xpres and using the Sawgrass inks failed. Sawgrass replaced the printer with a new 7000 and a complete set of inks.

Some time later, the 2nd GX7000 failed with the same fault, wouldn’t power on. The GX7000 wasn’t in production and I was offered a 3300 + 6 sets of inks, I refused as the 3300 is A4 not A3 and much cheaper than the 7000. They then offered the 7700 and a set of inks which I accepted.

• Hugh Potter

October 1, 2013 at 11:23 am

bit of a complicated one mine but ulitmately I had to buy a new gxe7700e at cost price, including full 60ml inks I think I still paid around £850.00.. annoyed me that two weeks later they released the newer machine still – so really gave me nothing as they were simply clearing shelf space.

pour a coffee and have a good look through this thread, take the info you need and use it against them, you should at least get a cheaper upgrade,

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/dye-sublim … 32123.html

must say that to date I am happy with the gxe 7700. oh, and from what I can gather, under no circumstances should you use old inks, only use new inks as supplied. if you have old ones tell they you need them changing due to issues with old inks.

Sawgrass never admitted any isses but it’s clear they made some changes as a result of all this.

Hugh

• Hugh Potter

October 1, 2013 at 12:27 pm

oops, didn’t see that last bit.. glad you got sorted in the end!

• Steve Underhill

October 3, 2013 at 4:42 am

I have a GX7000 and have printed 1000s of sheets with no problem, only ever head cleans and one leaking cartridge but that was down to a faulty batch, have you took the waste ink tank out? if its not quite full you can put a white piece of plastic under the sensor and t will recognise it as not full as the sensor detects when the pads are totally black, if its full you can unscrew the top take the pads out wash them and then refit, it saves on a new £40 component and works fine. other than that I’m not sure mines performed faultlessly for 3 years, but after only 131 sheets I would agree with the above, not fit for purpose.