Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Off Topic Chat Printwear & Promotion 2003

• Kevin.Beck

February 7, 2003 at 10:55 pm

we are going down,
    don`t know what day, as we have to get a shop sitter.
    A good show if you`re into clothing, loads of clothing manufacturers, embroidery and screen printing machinery. Not much on the sign front, apart from a few cutters, sold by the likes of, target transfers, expess etc.

Last year we bought a sublimation kit. Looking for a pad printer this year. But don`t tell the Mrs. she doesn`t know yet.

see you there. I`ll be the one walking around with a ” Roland P600 – FOR SALE ” sign taped to my back.

can anyone give me a price for it. ( the sign, not the 600)

becky

• Lorraine Buchan

February 8, 2003 at 10:53 am

i’ll be going too, not sure what day yet it depends on the work load

• Martin C

February 8, 2003 at 6:38 pm

I’ll be there.

I’ll be wearing a Beechfield Cap from Ralawise, A Jerzees T-shirt from Pen Carrie with an Xpres flock transfer applied, some Screen Stars Joggers from UK leisure topped off with an embroidered Result Jacket a Golf Umbrella and a big Quadra bag to take home all the leaflets!!! Don’t want to upset any suppliers do we!!!!!!!??

If anyone’s meeting at a particular time I’ll wear a big red rose and see you in the bar!

• Johnny S

February 8, 2003 at 9:05 pm

Where is it, the show that is?
    I’ll maybe tag on with you martin as I’m up the road in Maldon.
    What da ya think?

Cheers

johnny

• Kevin.Beck

February 8, 2003 at 9:11 pm

It`s at the NEC Birmingham.

becky

• Martin C

February 9, 2003 at 1:48 am

Johnny,,

Good old Maldon! Know it and a lot of the businesses down there well as I sold advertising and my soul for the local radio station for a couple of years.

As for going to the N.E.C in tandem……Could be a good idea but I have friends in Birmingham and I may be visiting, stopping overnight at their place. All depends on whether the invite is extended to the wife and kids as it’s half term and they want to come too!

I’ll mail you or give you a bell nearer the time.

• Johnny S

February 9, 2003 at 7:16 pm

No Probs Martin,
    I’ll scoot up on me tod!

Cheers

Johnny 😆

• signscript

February 9, 2003 at 8:57 pm

Well Im going on Thursday the 20th coz its the only day i’ll be able to make it.. so if anyone fancys meeting up for lunch.. my mobile is 07984 406272

• red dragon

February 16, 2003 at 5:40 pm

We’re going down. Again not sure which day yet, have to sort out someone to take care of Matthew, he’d be bored silly if we took him along 😕

Chalkie, yes you can just turn up at the door and fill in the form.
    Our tickets came through last week. I’d tried to register online but their link was not working. Kept getting “Sorry we don’t know who sent you here” blurb. So I phoned them the following day and just faxed the form through.

• Kevin.Beck

February 16, 2003 at 6:33 pm

We`re going on Tuesday. Just had to bribe the shop sitter with Sunday lunch at a posh pub.

If anyone wants me to look out for anything or collect a leaflets on certain items. Give me a shout.

Becky.

• Kevin.Beck

February 18, 2003 at 6:45 pm

Not much to say about the show. Not as many visitors or traders there as last year.

Took 90 mins to get there, a total of 52 miles. M6 was chocka.

Got loads of free tee shirts, so don`t have to buy any clothes for 6 months now.

worth a noisey if your close, or if you want something in particular.

7/10

becky

• Lorraine Buchan

February 18, 2003 at 7:23 pm

Went along to the show today……… not as big as last year, and it seemed very quiet on the visitor front too.

The one thing i did take note off was the fact that it was proberbly about 70% embroidery 20% transfer printing, and the rest was made up of pos, screen printing, magazines, lable printers.

It seems that screen printing on to garments is going down hill……………..

• Martin C

February 18, 2003 at 7:37 pm

So it was you who had all the freebies was it!!!!? And I bet it was you who kept standing up when the fashion show babes were strutting their stuff?

I’ve been planning to go for the last 4 years and now having been have to say that I was dissapointed. Not quite a complete waste of time but at the risk of sounding too cocky I didn’t learn anything new. What I mean is the things I’d hoped to see just didn’t exist i.e. Suppliers for Tracksuits and Sporting Wear …….other than those everyone knows about already & New products that would really add to my existing portfolio.

I was asking myself why I bothered and convinced myself that the couple of new Jackets a Glittery Mug and a possible improvement on ink supply for my sublimation printer made it all worthwhile. That is until one of the stand holders asked me what I’d come to see and who I buy off of at present. When I said I was looking for new lines he pointedly remarked that his company send reps out, the others don’t…….and he had a very, very good point. I have to buy every sample I want to see!!

If your looking to get into garment decoration and are going to the show to find out more it’s worthwhile. Other than that ……brrrrrrrrppp.brrrrrrppp

• Kevin.Beck

February 18, 2003 at 9:30 pm

Charlkie
    If its screen printing u want to get into. Theres a great book, called “tee shirt printing for fun and profit” fantastic book, not too heavy, packed full of tips and ideas. I`ve also got loads of info on carousels/dryers/inks/screens etc.

I was looking at the new embroidery software from Wilcom, basic diditizing package starts @ £3500, going up to £12,000 for the dogs dangly bits.

Makes Signlab colour master`s price rather cheap.

next show. “promoto” in march. ( promotional merchandise )

becky

• signscript

February 18, 2003 at 9:57 pm

Whats this “Promoto” show then, when and where?? do they have a website??

• red dragon

February 21, 2003 at 11:48 am

We went along Wed 19th. I was rather disappointed to, hoped some of the subli suppliers would have picked up on the goodies available in the States but NO.

Listawood are in process of introducing a couple of things which apply more to the things I do, their wooden jewel boxes for tile insertion looked interesting, and learnt what other things they hope to introduce in the future.

Chris examined the 3D box thingy (can’t remember what its actual name is) and we may have discovered a way to do these type of things without spending on the box, hehe. I’ll have to get some of the foil to experiment 😎

I’d also been after those glittery mugs since I first saw them at Nova Chrome a couple of years ago. Thanks Xpres for introducing them, now all I need is a bronze coloured one 🙂

Learned a couple of things, like how to pad out bags etc to apply transfer film, and not melt zips and what haveyou. Yes I know it’s logical how it’s done but I’ve never done them before.

Had a couple of things to deliver whilst down there so thankfully missed out on to much of the Motorway mahem.

• Kevin.Beck

February 21, 2003 at 1:12 pm

PROMOTA SHOW 2003
    NEC 11-12 March

manufacturers and importers of promotional items.
    e-mail: show@promota.co.uk

cheers Becky

• Martin C

February 21, 2003 at 6:24 pm

Sharon,

You picked up on a couple of the items that I noticed but was unable to get to speak to anyone about.

The Jewellery Boxes from Listawood, are they to be introduced? I’d be interested to hear about the 3D box and what it does. 🙄 I saw it but didn’t associate it with the phone covers until after I’d left!! 😡

The Glitter Mugs from Xpres look pretty neat, a simple twist on a very saleable item.

I take it you heat press clothing? If so do you know how to print a Polar Fleece without leaving an impression? Again Xpres were so busy I didn’t get to quiz them on their display item, a Virgin Jacket, which showed no markings whatsoever!

• Kevin Flowers

February 21, 2003 at 7:09 pm
    quote red dragon:

We went along Wed 19th. I was rather disappointed to, hoped some of the subli suppliers would have picked up on the goodies available in the States but NO.

Listawood are in process of introducing a couple of things which apply more to the things I do, their wooden jewel boxes for tile insertion looked interesting, and learnt what other things they hope to introduce in the future.

Chris examined the 3D box thingy (can’t remember what its actual name is) and we may have discovered a way to do these type of things without spending on the box, hehe. I’ll have to get some of the foil to experiment 😎

I’d also been after those glittery mugs since I first saw them at Nova Chrome a couple of years ago. Thanks Xpres for introducing them, now all I need is a bronze coloured one 🙂

Learned a couple of things, like how to pad out bags etc to apply transfer film, and not melt zips and what haveyou. Yes I know it’s logical how it’s done but I’ve never done them before.

Had a couple of things to deliver whilst down there so thankfully missed out on to much of the Motorway mahem.

HiSharon
    i have seen the 3D box at a different show although not close up and i am pretty sure i know what lies under all that fancy plastic casing. would be curious if we were thinking of the same piece of equipment.

KTF

• red dragon

February 21, 2003 at 9:02 pm

Hi Martin,

They’re hoping to introduce the jewelry boxes, but like most things it all depends on the price. I’ve asked Becky to keep me informed on these, and any other interesting items they may add. I’ve just started to do some tile murals admittedly it is only 18×12″ but you have to start somewhere.

The 3D box allows application of special sublimatable film onto a 3D object, you print onto the film, then place into box and it then applies this onto said object.

It took me a couple of tries to get to talk to someone at Xpres, I asked over the fleece thing, but since I don’t want to put flock near the PC60 I never took it any further.

• red dragon

February 21, 2003 at 9:05 pm

Hi Kevin,

Chris has the feeling it involves vacumn and heat tunnel, rather like the shrink wrap machines which form packaging.

• Kevin Flowers

February 21, 2003 at 9:41 pm
    quote red dragon:

Hi Kevin,

Chris has the feeling it involves vacumn and heat tunnel, rather like the shrink wrap machines which form packaging.

Hi
    we’re both on the same track, i am almost certain that it is a glorified vacuum forming machine, which basically sucks a sheet of plastic to the mould contours once the plastic has been heated by halogen heaters.I have been looking out for one secondhand only needs to be small to take an A4 sheet but not found one yet. if it works i have a feeling listawood might be a bit put out. You can pick up a mauaul vacuum former for approx £1500. against their £6000. i believe for their machine. i’ll keep everyone informed if ever i manage to try it

KTF

• Kevin.Beck

February 21, 2003 at 9:56 pm

Got some info on the 3D box. Cost about £2K. U need a mould of the various phone covers/mouse tops.etc.
    A finished phone cover would cost approx £5.50p

There is a vacumm, but it was the cooking time envolved that took me back a bit. 6 minutes. Not very multi production friendly.

To those who have a mug press, does yours cover the mug 100% top to bottom? (in one go)
    Mine always leaves about 10mm top & bottom, asked at knovachrome, they are bringing out another heat plate for it, approx 25mm bigger, at acost of £125, bit dear I thought.

becky

• Lorraine Buchan

February 21, 2003 at 10:27 pm

I dont think there is a way to print the fleeces without the impression, but flock is the only thing really that you can use for fleeces. I’ve tried most of the products from xpress, magic touch, direct consumables etc.. on fleeces, but none other than flock works.

I understand your concern sharon with running the flock through the colour camm, i wouldn’t run it through my cutter either.

The only thing i would suggest is to get a clothes brush to brush the pile back up again after having pressed the flock onto the fleece

• Martin C

February 22, 2003 at 10:10 am

I had been told by Xpres to use an offcut of Polar Fleece (like I have loads of them hanging around!!) and place it fleece side down over the transfer to avoid the marking. So you get Fleece entwining with fleece. But you then have the problem of getting enough temperature through to the transfer to make it stick and have to use additional pressure.

I just thought there has to be a better way.

Do you have a preferred supplier of Mugs? I’ve had a fair few that are very, very slightly conical which makes it a pain getting a rectangular image level.

• Kevin Flowers

February 22, 2003 at 10:24 am
    quote Martin C:

I had been told by Xpres to use an offcut of Polar Fleece (like I have loads of them hanging around!!) and place it fleece side down over the transfer to avoid the marking. So you get Fleece entwining with fleece. But you then have the problem of getting enough temperature through to the transfer to make it stick and have to use additional pressure.

I just thought there has to be a better way.

Do you have a preferred supplier of Mugs? I’ve had a fair few that are very, very slightly conical which makes it a pain getting a rectangular image level.

Martin
    Try listawood they offer the standard mug and also different versions if your mug press is adaptable in size.

KTF

• Kevin.Beck

February 22, 2003 at 12:07 pm

I came across the straight text problem the other day. How I got over it was to slit the paper in the middle from the bottom of the text to the papers edge, same for the top. then the paper would slightly over lap when taped to the mug. Pulling the text straighter. You will need a piece of tape in the middle as well.
    It worked for me, but might depend upon the design.

• red dragon

February 23, 2003 at 11:36 am

I’ve used NovaChrome Mugs, Xpres mugs and now stick with Listawood, but then again I make a point of stating mugs are british made. The conical problem would have been introduced at time of initial manufacture by Tams, and nothing to do with the coating applied.

Haven’t had any problems with text.

I’ve also just started using Listawoods Windsor Bone China mugs, only mod required was an extra piece of Silicon Rubber placed between mug press and mug, an increase in pressing time and temp. They’ve worked out well.

If anyone needs a piece of polar fleece to experiment with I have some offcuts here, let me know.

Becky, with you stating NovaChrome I assume you have the Mug Pro press. I wonder if these plates are the ones for Steins and the 15oz mugs available in the States. Interesting thought that.

• Kevin.Beck

February 23, 2003 at 11:54 am

Sharon
    I spoke to Ian of novachrome at the show. I had also phoned him 4 months earlier, about this problem.

At the show, he said that the press/plate has gone through a few changes. My was the one before all the changes happened, ,then they introduced a much larger plate, which because it was alot bigger and totaly covered the mug, with extra top and bottom , it kept on burning out. The new plate which will be available in a couple of weeks time is a little smaller then the MK2 version, but still bigger than the one I have.

Of course he mentioned you can do the top half first and then the bottom half, but that just doubles your prodution time. For now I just make sure that the design has about 10mm top and bottom gap from the mugs edges.

becky

• Kevin.Beck

February 23, 2003 at 11:57 am

I will be swiching to listawoods as I believe they are the only ones that are dishwasher proof.

At the moment I have to put lables in each mug stating they are not dishwasher proof.

• red dragon

February 24, 2003 at 8:26 pm

I can definately confirm they are dishwasher proof 😀

I’ve had one living in my dishwasher since I changed to Rotech inks and Listawood mugs April/May last year, machine used everyother day (unless there are lots of pans 😡 ) hot fill running through a full wash cycle at 65deg. The only part I don’t use if the drying cycle. Water temp is hot enough to dry them anyway.

I’ve now got this one and a bone china in there.