Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Mimaki Printers Printing photo canvas on vj1304

• Printing photo canvas on vj1304

Posted by David.Smith on December 8, 2012 at 7:34 am

We’ve had a few photo canvases order for xmas which we’ve printed on our new mutoh vj1304 onto sanyong canvas, problem is there coming out really washed out. I’ve tried with loads of different profiles but still can’t get bright vibrant colour, any suggestions?

David.Smith replied 11 years, 4 months ago 6 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Unknown Member

December 8, 2012 at 7:51 am

Hi,

We print about 600m of canvas each month and I would advice you never get the best results on solvent printers.

A quick tip would be to spray the surface of your canvas with a clear laquer or a gloss giclee varnish.

My experience with solvent canvas is that it always looks very washed out.

• Simon Worrall

December 8, 2012 at 9:07 am

David
    We do a fair amount of canvas using Roland solvent inks, and we have found theTextile Heat Transfer profile to be very succesful and vibrant.
    There is not a specific profile for canvas in Versaworks.
    I am not familiar with the brand of canvas you mention. We searched about a bit at first, and found many brands to be less than adequate.
    We now use Fredrix or Picasa, which are both very good. The picasa surface tends to crack more easily when stretched on a frame.

Simon.

• David.Smith

December 8, 2012 at 9:31 am

Thanks guys, we’re using Onyx RIP Centre 10 and the media list isn’t exactly extensive…. we get the choice of Avery or 3M media profiles and thats it. I’ve tried emailing Onyx to see if there’s profiles available for other brands but heard nothing back as yet. Will have to keep trying with other profiles and see what we get.

• Stafford Cox

December 8, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Have you tried doing some internal plots from the printer to see what the colour looks like? If they look much denser from the internal plots then you know the ink/media/printer are capable of much more and you need to look at your RIP/profiles. If the internal prints are still week then you know you’ve found a limitation of the printer/ink/media. There are a few reasonble plots you can select from the service menu (up, down, right and power on from memory).

Best of luck
    Stafford

• Martin Pearson

December 8, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Have you tried speaking to your media supplier about profiles? They should be able to supply you with a profile matched to the particular media your printing to.

The mutoh website also has a lot of profiles on it for various printers & onyx is well supported as a rip by them.

• David.Smith

December 10, 2012 at 10:25 am

Thanks guys, been emailing Mutoh about profiles but not heard anything back yet same with Sanyong. Will have another look on the Mutoh website but can’t find a thing on there since the switched to the new site.

• Martin Pearson

December 10, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Try this site, it’s the one I use for profiles OK much older printer but think the 1304 is supported. You will probably need to register to download but they have lots of profiles for onyx. Really frustrated me because I don’t have onyx & struggled to find profiles for mt printer.

http://www.mutoh.be/

• David.Smith

December 10, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Thanks martin, I could find stuff when it was on that website but they’ve just moved it all over to http://www.mutoh.eu and I can’t find a bloody thing now. Will have another look around it later and see if I can find the profiles.

• Martin Pearson

December 10, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I see the problem now, the old site was letting me look around so thought it was still active, but when I tried to log in it wouldn’t let me. Tried my details on the new site & it lets me log in but I am limited as to what I can look at & download. I can’t access the current drivers, profiles or manuals. Maybe worth you registering a new account as that allows you to add what mutoh equipment you have. Do that & you may have more luck.
    You will need the printer serial number when you register so make sure you check it first lol.

• David.Smith

December 10, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Yes re-registrered on the new site, just been back on it now and its a little better than it was I don’t think it was fully up and running before. Just downloaded the Mutoh canvas profile for the 1304 but now onyx is telling me its an unsupported resolution for the printer grr…….. You know them jobs you wish you’d said no too…

• Mark A Brown

December 19, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Hi. I print canvas photos with no promblems. Nice prints. Vibrant and never washed out. I use LCAN or canvas from metalmark. Metamarks stretch better without cracking that I’ve had with LCAN. Try them as they give good results

From Mark

• David.Smith

December 19, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Hi Mark, thanks for that. What printer are you using and which profile? We’ve got it a lot better than it was but still not 100% happy.

• David.Smith

December 22, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Got some metamark canvas thats just arrived so going to try that, they recommend overprinting twice to get a vibrant colour so will have to have a look round onxy to find out where the setting for that is. Will let you all know how we get on next week after we get back after xmas hols, well assuming we don’t float away before then.

• David.Smith

December 29, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Well tried the metamark satin canvas today and what a difference, bright vibrant colours 100% better than the other stuff we’ve been using. Thanks mark for putting us onto that one, now got some very happy customers.