Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Printing black onto Silver Oracol 751 question

• Printing black onto Silver Oracol 751 question

Posted by Neil Speirs on August 9, 2010 at 11:17 am

I have a customer who’s after some large car graphics, black fading into silver.

Could this be achieved using 751 & if so would it require laminating, I’m guessing yes?

Thanks
    Neil

Attachments:

Stephen Morriss replied 13 years, 8 months ago 11 Members · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • Steve McAdie

August 9, 2010 at 11:52 am

Hi Neil, I tried printing to white 751 a few weeks ago, couldn’t get a good print on it for some reason printed to loads of other vinyls no problems but the 751 looked like it was repelling the ink, you might have more success but I would print a test first to some to see if you have any trouble. Yes it will need laminating.

Steve

• Chris Wool

August 9, 2010 at 12:04 pm

with steve i have tried to print to 751 with no joy as far as quality is concerned. but i do use the 751c clear as a laminate sometimes.

• Neil Speirs

August 9, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Brilliant Steve, I’ll do the test print first as you say but at least I know I need to quote him with laminating. The job will probably come to nothing, he’ll be thinking it’ll cost about 20 quid including fitting 🙄

• Neil Speirs

August 9, 2010 at 12:08 pm

anyone had any success printing onto silver vinyl with a versacamm

• Chris Wool

August 9, 2010 at 12:17 pm

image perfect 5700 silver

• Mike Grant

August 9, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Metamark do printable silver in both mirror and matt, both print great with my versacamm. And yes if it is on a vehicle you need to lam it!

• Kevin Flowers

August 9, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Hi all
    never had success with 751 but print to Oracal 551 with no problems

Kev

• Quentin Tomkies

August 9, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Hi Neil

I have printed onto silver Oracal 551 successfully several times with a Versacamm. Printed, lam with Oracal laminate, and contour cut – worked very well, with a nice sharp result. The laminate brings out the ‘metallic’ look of the silver vinyl as well…
    Also used Metamark 7 series with equally good results.

Cheers
    Q

• Neil Speirs

August 9, 2010 at 12:26 pm

:lol1: :lol1: Da Ja Vue

https://www.uksignboards.com/viewtopic.p … nto+silver

Just done a search & got same peeps in the same order giving the same reply…..spooky 😉

Thanks so much Chris/Mike, got an account with metamark so I’ll give them a try first

Ta Neil

• Neil Speirs

August 9, 2010 at 12:31 pm

cheers Kevin & Quentin, hopefully the metamark laminating film we have in stock will match up with the printable silver Mike’s suggesting

• Neil Speirs

August 9, 2010 at 12:57 pm

😮 Ouch, if my pricing is right on this you’d be looking at charging the customer around £275+ surely i’m way off the mark here 😕

Graphics would be approx 1200×900 with around 3-4 hours work time (printing,laminating,fitting)

would really appreciate any feedback on this

• Warren Beard

August 9, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Hi Neil

Laminated print and 4 hours labour I would be about £174+vat, excluded anything else like design time or travel etc.

cheers

Warren

• Neil Speirs

August 9, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Cheers Warren, silver printable vinyl is costing 20 quidish per meter @ 1220 wide then laminate is £13 per meter @ 1370

• Warren Beard

August 9, 2010 at 1:25 pm
    quote Neil Speirs:

Cheers Warren, silver printable vinyl is costing 20 quidish per meter @ 1220 wide then laminate is £13 per meter @ 1370

OK, then I would be close to yours but not quiet that much, maybe £250 ish.

• Gert du Preez

August 9, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Hi, Neill,

I just finished printing 500x CD labels on Avery 546 this morning.

It was also a Black print only. (on a SP 540) – It prints like a dream, and not too expensive. My supplier charges N$ 50 per metre on the 1230 wide roll. Works out at about GBP 4,50 per metre.

Durability shouldnt be a problem, since it is contour cut, and the vinyl should outlast the ink.

Just one word of caution: When exporting to VersaWorks, send the file as Greyscale. If you send as CMYK or RGB it will come out green. Especially noticeable on the fades.

• OwenTaylor

August 10, 2010 at 10:07 am

I print black onto Grafityp 300 series silver (code 334) regularly without any issues. The silver is almost a matt/satin finish so I use a Metamark MD5 matt profile and the results are good. I laminate with Metaguard 700 to give it a nice glossy finish.

I also experimented with printing various colours onto silver and some nice effects can be achieved (metallic blues are especially nice).

• Martin Oxenham

August 12, 2010 at 9:45 pm

I have printed small labels 7" long on 751 metalic silver with no problems several times and it came out fine. I did clean it with meths first though.

• Stephen Morriss

August 13, 2010 at 8:18 am

I’ve printed onto silver 551, I use 3M 50 series now and I’m sure I used to use 751c but the most important bit is to clean the vinyl with IPA, sometimes twice.
    I was using a Cadet with activasol and now ultra inks.

Going to be doing some on an SP540V next week using max inks onto 3M.

Steve