Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Mimaki Printers Poor printing gradients- Mimaki JV3-130SL

• Poor printing gradients- Mimaki JV3-130SL

Posted by Praveen Jayawardene on February 21, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Hello Guys,

Hope all is well in 2012 !

I would like some feed back on the following topic of Gradient Printing.
    My JV3-130SL always struggles to print gradients nicely.Can any one share their experiences with gradient printing ?

What causes poor gradient printing ?
    Is it the rip causing the problem or the printer not able to interpret the rip file ?
    Or is it the colour profile that is creating poor gradient printing ?

Photoprint 5 is the rip ,colour profile is hexis.

Any help would be great (:

Cheers,
    PJ

Praveen Jayawardene replied 12 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • David Rowland

February 21, 2012 at 1:10 pm

define grandient… i mean how is it coloured within the designer software? has it got Pantone colours within corel by anychance?

• Paul Minton

February 21, 2012 at 9:53 pm

We sometimes have the same problem (if it’s the gradient printing very blocky) with our JV3 when we save the print and put it through our rip (Shiraz) as an illustrator EPS (which we normally would). If this happens we save it as a photoshop EPS and the gradient prints fine after that. So it could be the rip not interpreting the files properly.

• Gordon Forbes

February 22, 2012 at 1:07 am

I also find with a problem gradient take it into photo-shop and give it a gausian blur a few times helps a great deal. I also save these as a tiff with no compression dunno if that helps or not but works for me.

• Praveen Jayawardene

February 25, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Thanks guys for valuable feedback.

Yes i will try a few of those processes to try and improve the end result.THX

I’m looking at upgrading my Photoprint 6se rip to latest version 10 so i am hoping the latest rip may have improved ripping technology inturn with better gradient printing results. Keeping in mind this also a an older model Mimaki JV3 130SL…..):

Let see how we go.

Appreciate your valuable feedback guys !

Cheers,
    PJ