Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Graphtec Vinyl Cutters Pens for Graphtec FC7000MK2

• Pens for Graphtec FC7000MK2

Posted by David Rowland on November 24, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Hey all
    I got one of these courtesy of another board member…
    all i need to do now is use a pen on it, we normally pen to brown paper used for locators on our old plotter.

Has anyone got experience of using pens with this machnie.. i see there is water or oil based? do they dry up, whats best etc?

Been on the graphtec website and not seen them

So whats the real deal on the pens? who sells them? etc. Is there a generic plotter pen that can be used?

Is there a Graphtec representive here hidden away?

John Singh replied 14 years, 5 months ago 9 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Derek Heron

November 24, 2009 at 6:28 pm

hi dave
    got some here but no idea where they are from
    i just pop them in the holder and drop the pressure right down and go
    use it for doing layouts for lettering etc
    will take a pick and post it see if anyone can shed some light on its origin
    if you need one as a sample pm me with your add and i can send one down to you
    or if the lads want to pop up for one !
    just realized these fit the cadet not sure if the same for the graphtec

derek

• Adam McGuire

November 24, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Looking at the image you’ve posted they look very similar to my Roland Pens.

The Graphtec pen I have looks very different to the Roland. I’ll try to post a comparison later tonight.

Actually, just found my camera was in work so have posted a pic with the other one in Members Portfolio.

I collected my plotter from the Graphtec GB warehouse in Wrexham, details as follows:

Graphtec GB
    Coed Aben Rd
    Wrexham Ind Est
    Wrexham
    LL13 9UH
    01978 666 700

I don’t know if they’re still there but my pen came with the plotter. Yes, the water based ones (only have experience with Roland up to now) do dry up. I’ve never used oil based pens on a plotter. As for paper, I’ve normally used a really low pressure on the pen and lining paper from B&Q or Homebase.

Is this any help?

• Mike Grant

November 24, 2009 at 7:25 pm

I made my own holder from the female part of a stud sign fixing. I trimmed it to suit and took the nib and ink tube out from a Bic pen and with a bit of jiggery pokery instant plotter pen. It lasts a long time in relation to those tiny felt pens, but remember to slow the plotter down to a suitable speed to match the ink deposit. Cheap as chips!

• David Rowland

November 24, 2009 at 7:42 pm

ok derek.. i send email in a mo mate

many thanks to those who have helped. Adam’s top one is the one…

So guys if they dry up then we must be buying them in the bucket load, no?

• Graeme Harrold

November 24, 2009 at 7:53 pm

When my current pens run out, Ill be adapting the bodies to take Lumocolor pens………

• Chris Wool

November 24, 2009 at 9:35 pm

got a few here if you want one dave

condition 1 is usually set up for the pen

chris

• Unknown Member

November 24, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Dave,

We’ve got a FC7000 130 mk2 machine…..The pen on this machine is excellent…..its like a little fine line pen with a lid….We simply put it in the holder take the cap of and away you go, no adjustments or anything like that.

Excellent pen works very well….

We got the machine from Signmaster systems….give phil or Richard a call im sure one of them can shed some light.

Many Thanks

• Adam McGuire

November 25, 2009 at 10:50 am

Glad I could be of help to you Dave!

Chris, if you use Condition 1 for pens, do you use the same condition for cutting? I could be mistaken (no vinyl loaded right now so can’t see what condition number I’m using) but I think I use condition 1 and weight 14 for my cutting… I’ve never used the pen on this machine as I wasn’t certain what settings to use 🙂

Adam

• Chris Wool

November 25, 2009 at 11:24 am

conditions can be set for any thing just it comes out of the box as 1 for pen rest set as you like.
    when pen is set in the condition then it disables the blade offsets so correct corners are produced.
    pen pressure needs only to be around 8 else it damages the nib

chris

• Martin Pearson

November 25, 2009 at 11:31 am

Adam what machine have you got ? I have an old FC4100 and the LED display shows condition 1 to 4 so I just select which condition I want before I use the machine.
    ! as Chris says is set up for the pen. 2 I have set up for calendered vinyl, 3 is set up for cast material and at the moment 4 is set up for reflective. Think you can change the settings in the software but I always just use the machine menu.

• Adam McGuire

November 25, 2009 at 11:34 am

Right I see, I’ve never really played with the pressure. I’ve just replaced the blade and noticed that even though the old blade started life on pressure 14, this one is cutting a little too far into the backing for my liking, so I may reduce the weight somewhat. I’ve already adjusted the blade depth, and I can barely feel the blade when I run my finger over the holder.

I bought the machine in an emergency to get a large job done, but since then have barely had time to play with settings. There always seems to be something to do, work or otherwise!

• John Singh

November 25, 2009 at 2:08 pm

I just stick some insulating tape around a uni ball pen
    Last ages and cheap as chips
    Put a little insulating tape over nib to drop drying after use
    Don’t call me Mr Singh for nowt you know