Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers PC600 mis-alignment fault

• PC600 mis-alignment fault

Posted by WP_Graphics on December 20, 2003 at 12:56 pm

When the Print head goes to pick up a cartridge it is now not in line to pick it up and just attempts to pick it up 3 times before beeping at me.

Has anyone experienced this problem and how did they fix it?

Gavin

Dave Standen replied 20 years, 4 months ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • AaSk4Stickers

December 20, 2003 at 4:04 pm

Hiya

Yes I had the same problem a couple of times. The first time, I placed the cartridge it was trying to pick up in the carriage and then closed the lid, from then on it seemed to go OK for quite some time.

About 2 weeks ago it did the same thing, and I tried my earlier trick and it didn’t work. After the next cartridge change, the little arm that retains the cartridge, fell off – plus w ee spring. I checked with the agent and they advised getting the Roalnd rep out to put the arm back in as it was “very fiddly”. As I had only had 10 cartridges since the last (Roland repair man fitted) new print head, Rolands replaced the arm “under warranty” of the previous repair.

I watched the guy fgit the arm, and I don’t think I could have done it, even if I had had instrcutions at the time!!

Hope this helps – a tad.

Kind regards

Alan

• Brian Curtis

December 20, 2003 at 8:22 pm

Hi

We had the same fault a few months ago and although we re-aligned the cartridges, we still had the same problem.

We also had to have our print head replaced, so when the Engineer came to replace it, we asked him about the mis-alignment problem and he informed us that it could be due to the small cleaning pad on the left hand side of the machine being dirty or slightly raised, thus throwing the carriage out of alignment every time.

We changed the cleaning pad just before he came to change the print head and have not had this problem since.

Might be worth a try.

Merry Christmas everyone.

• WP_Graphics

December 23, 2003 at 5:10 pm

The problem is not due to the quality of print but the fact that it does not pick up the cartridge itself.

I thought I had solved it by adjusting the head position using the screw that holds it on the head to the wire that controls it. It worked for the duration the machine was switched on but then failed when I switched it back on. I relaligned it once more – fine but then it failed again when I switched it off!!!

Can anyone else help??

Gavin

• Chris Wool

December 23, 2003 at 5:32 pm

there is on the pc60 a engineer only ? menu for aligning the head to carts and the adjustments are on the curser keys not mechanical
    you will have to ask beg the page from the engineers manual
    roland might fax it to you or has anyone the page in question for a 600

chris

• Brian Curtis

December 23, 2003 at 6:38 pm

HI GAVIN

Re my earlier response – I too had the problem that every so often it would not pick up the cartridge and was mis-aligned by about 4-5mm each time – what happens is that during printing the head has an auto-clean function, so will park the cartridge back to its original position on the front cover and the head goes to the cleaning pad for a clean and then carries on printing.

If the cleaning pad is slightly raised or dirty, it will knock the head out of calibration, therefore, will not pick the cartridge back up to carry on printing.

We had this problem for several weeks and Roland sent us the re-alignment instructions, but this did not solve the problem.

We then had a problem with the print-head and changed the cleaning pad in the hopes it would fix the print-head problem, unfortunately it didn’t, so we had to get a new print-head and of course the obligatory visit from a Roland Engineer to fit it and relieve us of £405.

Whilst the Engineer was fitting the new print-head, I asked him if the alignment problem was caused by anything in particular and he informed us about the cleaning pad possibly being slightly raised.

The print-head problem was nothing to do with the alignment problem – just coincidence that it happened within a few weeks of each other.

Hope this helps
    Brian

• WP_Graphics

December 23, 2003 at 11:46 pm

Hi Brian,

Tried this and it’s been no luck…:(

Do you have the re-alignment instructions? If so, can you e-mail these to me at sales@wallaceperformance.co.uk?

Cheers

Gav

• Andrew Blackett

December 27, 2003 at 7:06 pm

Gav,

Had the same problem with our 600 a while ago (arent roland really consistent, I mean everyone gets the same faults as everyone else!!)

The arms that locate the cartridge, check to make sure one isnt jammed (they are sprung, so if you push them out they should spring back in) The first time this happened we had a load of “gunk” jammed behind the arm and it wouldnt take the cartridge in straight. Once I cleared it the machine worked ok.

Then on another occasion the carriage got all jammed up on a dog eared piece of vinyl and made one hell of a noise. This little jam broke the arm off completely. If there’s no tension in the springs then it wont take the cartridge in centrally and will make the clunking noise and slips around the cartridge.

Does the machine fail to pick up on the same cartridge location or on all 6 slots. If its just one try moving the cartridge to a different slot.

Hope some of this might help!

Andy

• Dave Standen

December 29, 2003 at 6:38 am

Compliments of the Season Everyone
    -I’m spending Christmas in South Africa – Joburg at the moment and thought I’d check out the boards!

Quick trick to try to solve your PC prob.
    Take the lid off. Allow the ‘fault’ to occur. Examine the alignment of the print head to the cartridge. Look at the ‘drive pins’ aligning with the holes in the cartridge. Just move the print head to line up with the cartridge – move with your hands – left/right. There’ll be a little resistance to moving – but it will move, both ways. When you’re aligned OK – restart your job and you should be OK.
    Best Regards from sunny SA
    Dave Standen