• pc600 corel 13

Posted by N Corkhill on March 25, 2008 at 10:41 pm

Hi there, could anyone tell me if I am barking up the wrong tree here please 😕

When printing on dark/ black or even clear vinyl the colours don’t show up as it needs white behind it. How do I print white first then over lay with a colour?

Does this machine do that kind of thing 😕

Thankyou in advance…

BTW I am printing direct from Corel,

N Corkhill replied 16 years, 1 month ago 7 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • Ali Osman

March 25, 2008 at 11:28 pm

Yes you are barking up the wrong tree! – print on white vinyl, that’s what this machine is designed for

• Peter Normington

March 25, 2008 at 11:30 pm

not sure if you can do overprints direct from corel, and I know nowt about pc 600, but an overprint is definitely what you need to do,

sorry not much help…

you are not barking up the wrong tree though,

Peter

• Phill Fenton

March 25, 2008 at 11:34 pm

Yes you are barking up the wrong tree. You need to print on a white background for the colours to show. If you need a black background you need to print this as well (all on a white vinyl to start off with).

You can get white ribbon cartridges – but they are pretty well useless as they are far too opaque.

If printing on clear you will need to laminate with a white background to make the colours stand out.

Soory to be the bearer of bad news – but you can’t circumvent the laws of physics 😕

There are machines that can do what you are describing – but the PC600 is not one of them I’m afraid.

• Peter Normington

March 25, 2008 at 11:41 pm

Phill,
    I always thought the pc 600 could overprint, onto white ribbon, like the gerber, only on a smaller scale?

Long time since I first saw one demo’d but Im sure its ability to print white was a major selling point?

Peter

• Phill Fenton

March 25, 2008 at 11:47 pm
    quote Phill:

You can get white ribbon cartridges – but they are pretty well useless as they are far too opaque.
  • Peter Normington

March 25, 2008 at 11:51 pm
    quote Phill:

quote Phill:

Yes they do need to be opaque so as to block out the dark (or clear) substrata, is that not the point?

A white ribbon needs to be opaque or am a barking?

Peter

• David Rogers

March 26, 2008 at 12:00 am

For Phil’s ‘opaque’ – read ‘translucent’ ? 😕

• Phill Fenton

March 26, 2008 at 12:10 am

Sorry Peter – Yes you are right – but I have miss understood the meaning of "opacity". 😳

Of course I meant to say the white ribbons for the PC600 are "translucent" and not opaque. Subsequently when trying to overprint white on a black vinyl – you end up with black vinyl 😕

At least that was my experience.

So much so that I believe Roland stopped producing white cartridges and they can only be bought through aftermarket re-sellers.

Thanks for pointing that out – otherwise my previous post would not have made any sense 😀

• Peter Normington

March 26, 2008 at 12:14 am

Sorry Phill
    I thought the pc 600 was like the gerber,
    The word opaque was probably not clear 😀

Thanks for pointing that out

Peter

• Chris Wool

March 26, 2008 at 12:50 am

yes the white is weak but the silver and gold ribbons print beautifully on to gloss black vinyl.

at least the edge did print white well.

chris

• N Corkhill

March 26, 2008 at 1:08 am

Not exactly the answer I hoped for, but many thanks for your input anyway.

Can you overprint on the silver at all?

quote :

So much so that I believe Roland stopped producing white cartridges and they can only be bought through aftermarket re-sellers.

Wish I knew that before, I have just bought two rolls 😥 so apart from the bin what else are they good for? are they any good providing backing when printing on clear vinyl?

• Chris Wool

March 26, 2008 at 1:15 am

never overprinted the silver but a possibility.
    if you have the whites try them, corel x3 has a handy boundary creator that will be just the job for the white reverse fill.

edge users used the silver to create a block out for double sided print printed to clear.

chris

• N Corkhill

March 26, 2008 at 1:29 am

Hi Chris, is it possible you could explain to me how to use/ find the "boundary creator" please? and I will try out the whites and I will post the results here.

Thankyou

Cheers Norm

• Chris Wool

March 26, 2008 at 1:53 am

third attempt at explaining its late
    create 3 shapes overlapping one another randomly select all 3.
    i think its under arrange – create boundry.
    that will create a new path as if you had welded them all together.
    but handles more complex designs easy-er than breaking apart etc and welding.

you need this shape to assign the white too

chris

• Alan Drury

March 26, 2008 at 8:15 am

You can set Corel to overprint but I’m not sure if it works with your machine as the feature is designed for litho work, Select your object, right click and select overprint fill or overprint outline if there is one.
    Alan D

• N Corkhill

March 26, 2008 at 9:19 am

Thanks guys, will have a go at and post the results. 😀