Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vehicle Wrapping Oracal 970 Rapid Air failing in recesses. Advice please?

• Oracal 970 Rapid Air failing in recesses. Advice please?

Posted by Hugh Potter on October 19, 2018 at 3:18 pm

Hey all, :bangshead: :bangshead: :bangshead:
    using new stock of oracle 970RA colour change wrap and it’s failing in recesses.. particularly the wheel arches and even around edges of the main side panel (61 plate LWB h-roof sprinter), everything had been cleaned and cleaned as per and a final clean with oracal pre-wrap cleaner, the two guys installing on my behalf are both very capable fitters but even they’re still struggling.

They have just spoken to one of their peers for advice, ensuring they’d done everything right, and he claims he’s had three sprinters all fail in the arches with this material in the past year.. re-done with avery or 3M and it stayed put..

Anyone else had issues with this?

Hugh Potter replied 5 years, 6 months ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Robert Lambie

October 19, 2018 at 3:50 pm

there is a list of reasons ANY wrap can fail… 9/10 is installer errors in some form or another.
    the wheel arch areas are not the easiest because they flair out creating tension in the vinyl, then the fitter goes ahead and takes the vinyl into the recess without releaving the tension before hand, which makes a bad recess ten times worse.
    if your fitting environment is cool or cold, then one thing for sure, oracal does not like cold. apply a little heat and it turns super pliable. however, if the metal or room temp is cold also, your beat before you start.
    it is all very well someone saying they tried something else and it worked. all it takes is them to tweak their install procedure or the room be warmer that day and hey presto it works!
    do not get me wrong, some vinyls certainly do make life easier for the installer to fit, but thats because the installer requires the help of the vinyl. a good installer will use any vinyl and still make it work. (by that i mean vinyl within the same class/quality)

• Gil Johnson

October 19, 2018 at 5:55 pm

We do approx three Merc sprinter part wraps a week with 970ra, give me a call Hugh, or pm me. [emoji106]

Gil

• Hugh Potter

October 19, 2018 at 8:05 pm

Thanks guys!
    Gil, messaged you!
    H

• Hugh Potter

October 19, 2018 at 8:07 pm

Possibly temperature Rob, however.. even though it was half in/out the workshop, it was still 20*c at midnight!

Most of it is fine, just these recesses, I’ve used 970 lot and never had issue but this .. arghh.

• Bernard Gallagher

October 19, 2018 at 10:48 pm

Any pics?? 970 is usually puller proof.

• Daniel Evans

October 20, 2018 at 9:08 am

Again not had any issues with 970ra, some pics will help

• Hugh Potter

October 22, 2018 at 8:07 am

It may or may not have something to do with the paint, uncertain. Having spoken to other though, it appears they give the paint more prep than typical rags and chemicals.. will update..

• Iain Pearson

October 22, 2018 at 11:03 am

I told you to swerve that job . . . [emoji15]

• Hugh Potter

October 22, 2018 at 12:32 pm
    quote Iain Pearson:

I told you to swerve that job . . . [emoji15]

stable. bolted, horse. :smiles: