• Oracal 970 RA

Posted by Simon Polakof on April 17, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Hi!
    I was offered the possibility to try out Oracals 970RA for doing a Wrap of a big VW truck.
    I found it to be really easy to work with on the flat surfaces, but it has poor adhesive power on deep parts. The part of the van were the windows should be but aren’t had to be done separately, due to the fact that the vinyl didn’t hold.
    For those wondering if we reheated it? The answer is yes, all the way up to a 100 Celsius (suppliers recommendation) and thats when the small bubbles started to appear and then started to burst. Seeing that we didn’t want to risk any pooping up of vinyl in a couple of day the decided to do it in to parts.

Have anyone of you out there had the same experience with it?

Any other recommendations?

Has anyone of you out there tried Avery® Supreme Wrapping Film? It’s double the price of Oracal’s but it might be worth it.

How long would it take you to wrap this van in solid blue? How many appliers would you be?

Attachments:

Simon Polakof replied 14 years ago 7 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Jon Marshall

April 17, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I’m not sure if the 970RA is available in the UK. We got the Avery swatch the other day but I think these films are aimed at the car wrap market where there aren’t panel recesses.

I think 2 fitters could do that van in 1 day quite comfortably.

• Peter Normington

April 17, 2010 at 5:48 pm

I agree with Jon on times to fit

Peter

• Simon Polakof

April 17, 2010 at 6:07 pm

So which of avery’s vinyl would you have used for this fitting then?

• John Childs

April 17, 2010 at 6:38 pm
    quote Simon Polakof:

So which of avery’s vinyl would you have used for this fitting then?

Avery 900 should do it.

• Matty Goodwin

April 17, 2010 at 7:07 pm

As both Johns say, 900 and 1 day, 2 fitters.

• Cameron Steer

April 19, 2010 at 7:25 am

Hi There,

In the UK we stock 970 series with repositionable adhesive, RA adhesive isnt so good on recesses as the adhesive gaps stretch and there may be some areas that dont adhere to the van, use the standard 970 series and heat to 120dg you wont have any problems.

Regards

• Cameron Steer

April 19, 2010 at 7:31 am

900 series is a 50mic film with a permanent adhesive, it will be much harder to apply than 970 series which is a double cast 100mic thick and repositionable.

We sell both so am not being biased.

• Shane Drew

April 19, 2010 at 10:04 am

I’m with Cameron on this. I did a colour wrap with A900 last week, and Oracal 970 (not ra version) is easier to apply.

• Jon Marshall

April 19, 2010 at 10:09 am

A900 is much harder to remove aswell and I believe it only comes in 1220mm

• John Childs

April 19, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Wimps, the lot of you. 😀

OK, the 970 might be a bit easier to apply, but Avery 900 is not difficult.

I would also hate to use a 100 micron material. To big a step from paint to vinyl. Like applying formica. 😀

• Cameron Steer

April 21, 2010 at 2:19 pm

A tip from manfred (he with the pony tail) if you want to use 900 or 951 , cover it with the appropriate film either Dol1080 or 3951 and use command form on the surface , you will effectively have a 100mic film with repositionable adhesive with a choice of about 120 colours !!

Cheers

• Simon Polakof

April 22, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Thanks everyone for all the info.
    We’ll try with 970 and not with 970 RA next time. I already got a call from the customer about some part of the van that have loosen and bubbles popping up.. Thanks to you Cameron I know why. My supplier told me to reheat up to 100dg.