Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Neon, LED, Lighting One piece tray wanted. 470cm * 50cm. Any material this long?

• One piece tray wanted. 470cm * 50cm. Any material this long?

Posted by Robert Kulawik on July 7, 2011 at 11:03 am

Hi All,

I’m fishing for advice.
    One of potential customers wants a sign tray, 470cm wide 55cm high, 30cm returns (no return on the top- this goes to cover bottom and sides of a shutter box).
    The issue is he did stress he does not want a joint anywhere on the face of the tray… Would it be possible to make such a tray and enamel it?
    If yes, there will be few flatcuts to glue on top.
    The tray will go flat against the shutter box, flush on the top with a ledge, to which an awning is bolted… there is no chance of any return on top, but all sides will be on VHB and screws on sides and bottom…
    I do expect a sheet limit even on metal substrates… Problem is the client seems set in stone.

Thanks in advance.

Martin Cole replied 12 years, 10 months ago 7 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • David Rowland

July 7, 2011 at 11:12 am

I am unable to purchase dibond bigger then 4mtr wide, so that would be our issue

• Peter Mindham

July 7, 2011 at 11:36 am

We have a local metal fabricator who makes larger trays for us in Aluminum.. He can weld and then finish so the weld is invisible. Main problem is finding one with an oven big enough for powder coating. You might have to paint to give you a base colour.
    Have a look for local fabricators. Not cheap but if this is what the client wants, he will have to pay.

Peter

• Robert Kulawik

July 7, 2011 at 11:50 am

Thank you guys,

In the past I did give few jobs to local ‘artistic’ engineering metal fabricators, but it all ended up as a fiasco, since the ones I found were incapable of understanding what a tape measure is about and what a box tray means… The problem is all good small workshops do not advertise on google and are pain to find…
    Peter, could you point me in the right direction, as the spraying w/o baking might be OK in the end?

Many thanks!

• Peter Mindham

July 7, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I might grt modded on this as usual but you could PM me your details or post your number. I will call you then

Peter

• Tim Painter

July 7, 2011 at 2:43 pm

As Peter said I can see oven size being an issue.
    No idea if you can actually get sheet that large to start with.

I would be concerned as to it’s fixing – you can’t just lump the extra weight onto a shutter box.

Also that is a large return on the bottom edge I think it would need some sort of fillet inside to give it some strength.

• Kevin Flowers

July 7, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Hi
    have a powder coating company next door to us, can take 3mtr high by 6mtr long. Based in Dagenham if you need details let me know

Kev

• Phill Fenton

July 7, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Even if you can make this in one piece – how will you transport it to the site and install it? You need to factor this into the cost also.

(Anything is possible providing the client is prepared to pay for the cost of what are often unrealistic expectations)

• Peter Mindham

July 8, 2011 at 6:08 am
    quote Phill Fenton:

Even if you can make this in one piece – how will you transport it to the site and install it? You need to factor this into the cost also.

(Anything is possible providing the client is prepared to pay for the cost of what are often unrealistic expectations)

Quite right Phil. Plus install will always be more with at least two cherry pickers and operators or even scaffolding with permissions etc. This all adds up. Funny how the client can live with a join when he sees the estimate

Peter

• Robert Kulawik

July 8, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the input… The client IS adamant, though… I was passing by yesterday and tried to talk some sense to him. As it stands for now he knows it can be done and he wants it. I gave it the last shot and emailed a few metal fabricators nearby, however if this proves unpopular I’ll let it sit and let the client do his own thinking…
    We can make an ACM trays quite easily, so when he comes round I’ll make sure it is paid in full before starting, as I was stung before by unrealistic, fussy clients…
    The transport I could handle, as we did transport a 4.6m box sign in the past on the back of XLWB Sprinter, at angle- but still, with doors closed.
    The installation would be from the ground, maybe from alu trestles- shutter box is only on 2.8m.
    Oh, it is the chasing supplies bit I always find most tiring 🙂

Robert

• Martin Cole

July 8, 2011 at 4:28 pm
    quote Phill Fenton:

(Anything is possible providing the client is prepared to pay

Correct! also taking into account locating such bespoke items is time consuming and laborious as you mention Robert.

I would get it wet painted, if a powder coater to handle job is not near by.
    Also consider 2mm ally,