Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions General Cutter topics On the look out for a new cutter – Budget £400 for a new one

• On the look out for a new cutter – Budget £400 for a new one

Posted by Daniel Owen on July 15, 2011 at 2:40 pm

As my redsail is just a little too big to fit in my office I am after something smaller. No bigger than 640mm.

Is there any decent ones out there for £400 new, which can cut 3mm letters with ease.

Ideally one that will take roland blades aswell.

Thanks

Dan

AtKo replied 10 years, 5 months ago 8 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Martin Pearson

July 15, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Unlikely you will find a plotter that will cut 3mm text with ease on the budget you have. For small text & intricate graphics plotters such as graphtec & summa work in tangiential mode. This isn’t available on the chinese plotters as it’s one of the functions they leave off to keep the price of the machines down.

• Daniel Owen

July 15, 2011 at 3:10 pm
    quote Martin:

Unlikely you will find a plotter that will cut 3mm text with ease on the budget you have. For small text & intricate graphics plotters such as graphtec & summa work in tangiential mode. This isn’t available on the chinese plotters as it’s one of the functions they leave off to keep the price of the machines down.

My redsail can cut 3mm letters quite well when using thicker vinyl.

If I can’t find a decent second hand cutter nearby then I may just downsize to a smaller redsail.

• Ian Johnston

July 15, 2011 at 3:40 pm
    quote Daniel Owen:

quote Martin:

If I can’t find a decent second hand cutter nearby then I may just downsize to a smaller redsail.

i assume you are talking about 3mm stroke width, not 3mm high letters,

• David-Foster-

July 15, 2011 at 4:00 pm
    quote Daniel Owen:

Didn’t you say on another topic that "And if I cut anything below 10mm, i.e. small lettering it is just making a mess of it. "

Just getting it straight how your redsail is in case you are selling it. Has the new cutting strip sorted it?

• Daniel Owen

July 15, 2011 at 4:12 pm
    quote David-Foster-:

quote Daniel Owen:

Didn’t you say on another topic that “And if I cut anything below 10mm, i.e. small lettering it is just making a mess of it. ”

Just getting it straight how your redsail is in case you are selling it. Has the new cutting strip sorted it?

I need to replace the strip and holder and it should be cutting perfect again.

And yes it was able to cut 3mm high letters before the current problem started happening.

• Daniel Owen

July 15, 2011 at 9:06 pm

I’ve cleared some room in my office now to fit my redsail in.

But I am now on the hunt for a desktop cutter.

Can anyone recommend one

And here is an example of the size my redsail can easily cut

Not bad considering the cutter only cost me £450

• Peter Normington

July 15, 2011 at 10:57 pm

why do you need another plotter when the one you have does such a good job? or if you are really short of room, just buy a smaller redsail
    my mimaki will cut equally well small letters, but in practice why would I want to? any quantity of small lettering would make weeding not cost effective, so print would be a better way to go?
    peter

Attachments:

• Robert Kulawik

July 16, 2011 at 10:27 am

Eeehhh,

3mm?
    2mm?

It’s nothing compared to what my Graphtec does, and this is on the bad day…

..I’ll get my coat 😉

Attachments:

• Daniel Owen

July 16, 2011 at 6:22 pm
    quote Robert Kulawik:

Eeehhh,

3mm?
    2mm?

It’s nothing compared to what my Graphtec does, and this is on the bad day…

..I’ll get my coat 😉

Do you have to use a magnifying glass to weed that, lol

• Daniel Evans

July 16, 2011 at 6:52 pm

My god that is good, What settings did you use to get that?

• AtKo

November 27, 2013 at 11:00 am

Hi,
    I see that this topic is a little bit old. But I will ask a question and hope to get answer 🙂
    @Daniel or someone else: you use Redsail and you said that you can easily cut 3mm high letters.
    What are proper settings for cutting so small, what kind of blade, offset etc?
    I can cut so small, but letters are cutted very very ugly 🙂

Thanks for help.