Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Sublimation Printing OKI 5800 And Magic Touch

• OKI 5800 And Magic Touch

Posted by Stephen Henderson on September 13, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Has anyone used this setup for printing, The reason I ask is I have had this kit for a long time, spent an absolute fortune on the printer, and loads of papers from wow To waterslide,,,,never used it much did try the WOW and was impressed.
    The niece is a school teacher and she smashed another teachers mug, and wanted to replace it so rather than get all the epson subi stuff out and all the hassle that goes with it I thought I would give the OKI and waterslide a go, I printed the logo and stuck it onto a sub mug and had the oven pr-heated,,,fired it in and hey presto a mug, very good mug chuffed with the results.
    Have any of you done this and if so, have you had the transfers come off in a week,month,,,,,,

Stephen Henderson replied 12 years, 7 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Martin Pearson

September 13, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Stephen, try doing a search, sure I read a post quite recently about someone who was looking at a laser set up to do short runs of mugs.
    The general opinion seemed to be that they didn’t stand up to the dishwasher to well and for mugs sublimation ink was the best way to go.
    Can’t comment personally sorry.

• Chris Wool

September 13, 2011 at 10:16 pm

was me asking.

interested in the waterslide where from etc. please,
    you have got my mind going on other ideas now

• Alan Drury

September 14, 2011 at 7:52 am

I didn’t think the waterslide stuff was for mugs or anything requiring a degree of durability. I’ve always used CPM ? paper for mugs. Printing mugs with laser printer and TMT papers are ok but seriously not a patch on sublimation printed mugs. Shame that the printers clog all the time if not used regularly.
    Alan D

• John Gregson

September 14, 2011 at 8:14 am
    quote :

Shame that the printers clog all the time if not used regularly

Not the Ricoh’s – problem free so far with no blockages and sometimes left a few weeks without printing.

If you look on TMT website it claims that the waterslide decal is only suitable if washed at low temps in dishwasher. If you sold your mugs with a disclaimer that would be OK but your far better off printing them with sub ink in my opinion.

• Alan Drury

September 14, 2011 at 9:09 am

Point taken John, I was thinking more of the Epson setup which was the one I had and was more trouble than it was worth. From my experience even using in an office environment Epsons have been the most unreliable and troublesome printers I have ever used and I’d never buy another.
    Sublimation produces the best quality though.
    Alan D

• Stephen Henderson

September 14, 2011 at 11:06 am

Lots of good comments, I do agree that ink is the best way, but I do not do enough mugs to push me into buying a Ricoh printer, I did like the result of the TMT set up, good to know that it will not last on the mugs, so I shall only do them if need be, on another note I found an alluminium business card holder that I applied waterslide to about 18 months ago, when I bought this, I have tried rubbing it off, and picking at it, it is fixed solid, then these card holders are not a smooth surface like the mugs, Chris PM me and I will tell you more if needed were to get etc…

Thanks