Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers Odd colour banding on versacamm sp540, anyone help?

• Odd colour banding on versacamm sp540, anyone help?

Posted by Andrew Blackett on February 18, 2009 at 6:52 pm

Evening all,

Did this print of 5 various pantones for a client today, and the one in the middle (pale green) has 3 very odd bands of lighter colour running through it. Its not the usual type of banding I’ve seen and it is showing in the other colours. Has anyone come across this, or know how to get round it?

Pic attached, hopefully you’ll be able to see the fault.

Best wishes
    Andy

Andrew Blackett replied 15 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Dan Osterbery

February 18, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Hi Andy,
    how are your ink cartridges? I get these when one of the inks is nearly empty! It happens very rarely, but exactly the same.

regards
    Dan

• Andrew Blackett

February 18, 2009 at 6:59 pm

All at least half full Dan…. the plot thickens!

Andy

• Karl Williams

February 18, 2009 at 7:06 pm

If the temps not right for the media then it will ripple with the heat. When the heads travel over material it will give the effect you’ve got. This occurs between the pinch rollers when the material is moving forward.
    Try it again mate and you’ll see what I mean. 😉

• Andrew Blackett

February 18, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Do you mean too hot Karl? Usually run the thing on 40 degrees print and dryer, is this a bit OTT?

Andy

• Dan Osterbery

February 18, 2009 at 7:24 pm

what media were you printing on andy?

• Andrew Blackett

February 18, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Dan,

Its grafityp S20P, 7 year polymeric – 75 micron

Andy

• Glenn Sharp

February 18, 2009 at 7:28 pm

how many passes are you printing with Andy?

we were getting some very blotchy patches in a green we were printing…….we upped the passes and it improved dramatically

• Andrew Blackett

February 18, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Thats 2 passes, is going to be mounted onto glass for a decorative panel

Andy

• Karl Williams

February 18, 2009 at 7:29 pm

That would be to hot on my machine for most media. Most of the profiles in the Shiraz rip are set at 35. I do have the same problem with some colours as you’re having so tend to knock it down a bit.

• Dan Osterbery

February 18, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Perfect, i use the same stuff and I have my heat at 40 and my dryer at 40! i have never had it happen on vinyl, it normally happens on lcan canvas, when ink is low.

by the way i have the same versacamm sp-540 and print through versawerks

Dan

• Glenn Sharp

February 18, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Andy, I would try taking the passes upto 4 and see what happens

• Andrew Blackett

February 18, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Will try that but it’ll take ages and cost a fortune in inks.

Andy

• Andrew Blackett

February 23, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Been doing some fiddling with this over the last few days. Think Karl is on the right lines, tried messing about with the heat settings on other bits and pieces and the fault does get worse/better as I mess with it.

Did some hydrosol today which was mainly royal blue and used the long media clamps and the whole set of prints about 6m was absolutely perfect. Using matte pet profile – high quality.

So I think the problem was between the pre-heater and printing as the media may well of been buckling up intermittently over the print.

Andy