Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers New user of VS540i VersaCamm – used machine – advice needed

• New user of VS540i VersaCamm – used machine – advice needed

Posted by Mariusz Czarnota on August 23, 2016 at 12:15 am

Hi, firstly sorry for my mistakes in grammar etc as I’m not English – just live in UK 🙂
    After months of searching finally i bought my "new" (used) VS540i. Have it for very good price, as whole sign shop closing down their business so I bought everything from them.
    Till now I worked almost 2 years on SummaCut D60FX and epson 7890. I was mainly doing interior wall stickers etc. Decide that I want to go furthers, so invest in printer, laminator and planning now open proper sign shop. I’m mainly working in Adobe Illustrator, and here is my first question, Summa i working with have plugin that send cut paths directly to machine, is roland have any type of this plugin – possibly send work from illustrator to versaworks, without having it saved first to .eps and then importing it versaworks? Got many projects saved as .ai and converting everyone will be a pain…
    Ok, I don’t know much about printer history. Don’t know how old is it and which dealer been sold from.. Is there any chance to check by serial nr where is it from? I believe its pretty new, should be under 2 years old but even i tried contact roland, they cant find out..
    Machine comes with 2xCMYK configuration, Is there chance to get it back working with 8 colour – CMYK, Lc, Lm, Lk and White? And if so, is it possible to do by my own or need to call Roland technician?
    I worked with epson 7890 – 8 color system and I like greys (thanks to lk + llk) , and overall colors are more "Live" on prints from my epson then on Roland…
    I will be possibly flushing whole system anyway as there are now third party inks installed – MaraJet DS-SX. I’m thinking to install and convert it to EcoSol MAX3. I found dealer that do now promotion till end of month for conversion kit to eco sol max3 (8x 500ml inks, free wipers, cleaning solution) for just 432 quid (45+vat for cartridge, + free delivery!) so I’m pretty much convinced even to buy 2 kits right now as usual price is 75+vat for cart…
    My "problem" is that I receive with printer 6x new unopened 440ml cartridges, 2xCyan Original EcoSol Max2, 2xCyan MaraJet DI-SX, 2x MaraJet DI-SX Black. In printer I have loaded ALL with MaraJet DI-SX (Yellows 20%, Magentas over 60%, Cyans over 60%, Blacks 20%).
    Now, new EcoSolMax2 costs about 80quid per cartridge.
    Full conversion set of EcoSolMAX3 cost 432 quid in offer, 54 quid for 500ml cart (less then MaraJet..) , that include free wipers, cleaning solution…
    If I stay with EcoSol max 2, I can possibly use 3rd inks till finish, buy just 2x yellows, (2x magentas to set on side) of EcoSol max2 for now, and in future replace this way all and back to originals EcoSol max2 while MaraJet finishes…
    On other hand, 54 quid for new max3 is quite tempting (only till end of August), but will need flush system, discard carts loaded already, possibly sell other 6…
    Suggestions? Is MaraJet quite good or I should really care about waste them?

Another problem is "Media Clamps" missing, they cant find it, so anyone have suggestion where buy them cheapest? Roland wants £80+vat each which is ridiculous price for piece of aluminum…. Also any recommendation for roland certified engineer around Birmingham, UK who would like to do maintenance check for reasonable price ? I wasn’t do yet manual cleaning, only powerful, but from print test I have one drop missing, should I concern about it? Prints look ok, need to buy some proper vinyl to test it correctly..
    Thanks for any help and advice.

Attachments:

Mariusz Czarnota replied 7 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • George Neagu

August 23, 2016 at 4:54 pm

Hi Marius,

Sorry, I am a bit off topic, I don’t have the answer to your problems but I have a question to you.

Can you please advise me what media did you use on Epson 7890 to make interior wall decals?
    Did you laminate them?

Many thanks,
    George

• Mariusz Czarnota

August 23, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Colorbyte
    IJ664
    Matte Polyprop ‘Vinyl’ S/A 80mic
    IJ664-610-30-2 (24") 610mm x 30m £27.00
    No lamiated just indoor use.
    Good vinyl for pigment ink printers.
    Peel and stick only, didnt tried transfer tape it…

Also have now 7890 in great condtion, 100% print test nozzle check, only 250 pages printed (counter show 500, however over half is simply test print that we run 2-3 times a week to keep nozzles spot on and we keep them to prove printing history), loaded with 700ml original Epson Ink, only yellow a bit under 50% rest between 50-70% (basicly full 350ml set I can say included…) some vinyl, canvas rolls, all for 1200 for sale if anyone intrested – collection from Redditch close to Birmingham..

• Neil Somers

August 24, 2016 at 5:42 am

This might be better in the for sale section, you might get more responses

• Stafford Cox

August 24, 2016 at 11:25 am

Wow!! That’s a lot of questions!! I’ll answer a few of them now….

quote Mariusz Czarnota:

Hi, firstly sorry for my mistakes in grammar etc as I’m not English – just live in UK 🙂

You’re English is great, better than some English people I know!! 😆

quote Mariusz Czarnota:

Machine comes with 2xCMYK configuration, Is there chance to get it back working with 8 colour – CMYK, Lc, Lm, Lk and White? And if so, is it possible to do by my own or need to call Roland technician?

Officially, this cannot be done. Unofficially, yes it can in engineers mode 😉

quote Mariusz Czarnota:

Suggestions? Is MaraJet quite good or I should really care about waste them?

I’ve been around the support industry for large format printers for 20 years and never heard of them. Cheapest is often not the best.

quote Mariusz Czarnota:

Another problem is “Media Clamps” missing, they cant find it, so anyone have suggestion where buy them cheapest?

Roland List price for these is indeed £79.45 + VAT each!! :rollseyes:

quote Mariusz Czarnota:

Also any recommendation for roland certified engineer around Birmingham, UK who would like to do maintenance check for reasonable price?

There are plenty of people and companies who can do this at varying prices and ability.

My recommendation would be to contact a company that can supply ink third party ink, carry out any of your maintenance requirements and look after you and your printer in the future and strike a deal with them. For example, buy 8 ink cartridges and get them to convert the machine back to 8 colour, carry out a service, flush and setup and train on the machine all in one hit.

I hope that’s of some use 😆 😉
    Stafford

• Mariusz Czarnota

August 24, 2016 at 11:56 am

Thanks for reply.
    I contacted Marabu – ink manufacturer and I just found that inks are 4-5 months after expiry date – guy who had that printer before not print much i suppose, so I will probably flush system and convert straight away to Max3 as price is very good at this moment (45+vat for 500ml cartridge + free conversion kit -wipers and cleaning solution)… Is there any problems with profiles for eco sol max3 now? I still have New 2x Cyan EcoSolMax2 -can you tell me how to read expiry date on this one? Or maybe I should buy remaining 6x cartridges of EcoSolMax2 and stau unconverted (price for 6 will be close to 8x 500ml max3…). Its decision time… :rollseyes:

• Stafford Cox

August 24, 2016 at 12:28 pm

I can’t really answer that I’m afraid. The expiry dates should be written on the side of the cartridges and a new cartridge should have 9-18 months shelf life (our inks do anyway).

The flush and service thrown in with an ink conversion is not uncommon. It’s something we’ve offered for a long time so don’t be tempted to use just any old ink because of a current deal. Most people will offer that service and cheaper alternative inks forever, not just for a couple of sets.

Stafford

• Mariusz Czarnota

August 24, 2016 at 12:53 pm

Ok, thanks. There isn’t any expiry date on EcoSolmax2 cart, just JAN and 2 barcodes, on on main label 4982978702116 and 2nd on side 3220bb3029, i dont have idea hot to read it… I don’t want 3rd part inks, i’m not going to print such large amounts at this moment to see big difference in savings on inks… Plus knowledge that new head cost 2k and I saving 10-15 quid per cart possibly risking earlier head damage will worry me…
    About clamps, i don’t get something..
    http://www.digiprint-supplies.com/vs-64 … 09050.html
    64+vat each, but :
    http://www.digiprint-supplies.com/sp-30 … 55693.html
    http://www.digiprint-supplies.com/sp-30 … 45112.html
    10 quid… Im i missing something?
    Its even says its compatible with VS540i…
    What I’m paying difference for, 2 small screws and top labels?? :shocked: