Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers New Roland XC540MT Printer

• New Roland XC540MT Printer

Posted by Kevin Flowers on September 25, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Hi all
    after seeing the new Roland printer at Sign Ireland & quizzing Bret about the technical changes the printer as undergone i thought i would share and give my opinion.

The printer is a reworked XC540 that is capable of running CMYK plus base white and base metallic. I am glad to say that on investigation of the system to allow the addition of the white & metallic ink i found some modifications that will cure previous issues originally associated with the printer when running white ink, namely the high cost of wasted ink & clogging. Roland have dealt with this by installing an additional recirculating pump in the feed lines to the white & metallic heads which are both fed from single cartridges, the ink lines are split via a Y connection just above the dampers to provide a supply for each side of the relevant heads. The pump basically keeps the ink moving to stop the heavy white ink & particulate in the metallic ink from settling. The fact that the new pump is in the supply line means it can work whilst the printer is printing so that if you are printing CMYK the white & metallic will be ready to go as soon as you need it and because it is a recirculating pump no ink is actually disposed of. The machine still has its cleaning pumps to do its normal cleaning cycles. Speed seems to be on par with the standard XC although the printer was on full head scan so please check this yourself. The particulate is a polymer rather than a metal which means no additional wear is going to be seen due to running the metallic ink & i was informed that the metallic head will be warranted as per the rest of the heads.

I won’t go into how Versaworks deals with it apart from its being controlled via the profiles and that a metallic swatch is going to be available to accompany the normal Roland swatch.

Well i hope this as gave you some incite as to how this printer works with the new inks. I must say that although this printer is not officially released yet, Brett was most fourth coming with answering the questions i asked & allowing me to get right in to the printer to see the new steps to make the printer ready to do the job its been made for & keep doing it. I would therefore be very surprised if this printer will require any major updates like i have seen with previous launched new technology from all of the suppliers in years gone by including Roland.

Please take these as my views & opinions and go and see the machine yourself you will be pleasantly surprised at the result.
    Kev

Jason Xuereb replied 14 years, 7 months ago 9 Members · 24 Replies
  • 24 Replies
  • Jason Xuereb

September 29, 2009 at 12:59 pm

I’ve got an XC540W and as soon as I can get my hands on this printer I am getting one.

• Kevin Flowers

September 29, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Jason
    if they have upgraded the new xc white printers with the recycling pumps should be simple to upgrade. Is your a new printer? i know in another thread you where awaiting finance etc.

Kev

• Chris Wool

September 29, 2009 at 4:20 pm
    quote Jason Xuereb:

I’ve got an XC540W and as soon as I can get my hands on this printer I am getting one.

just showing off now 😀

out of interest will it print white to black vinyl ?

i like the sound of this met one but i think they will price it out of reach for a while, and they haven’t said the price of the inks yet.

i am in the market for a new one before too long and this will fit the bill but i am not rushing at it.

chris

• Kevin Flowers

September 29, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Chris
    i think Bret said the Metallic is around about 30% more per cart but it is so opaque that the profile tells it to only lay down 40% so is going to cost no more per square meter than normal, CMYK carts are standard white i think is on par with the metallic I personally think it works better as a spot colour on high lights etc so you would use even less.

Kev

• Peter Normington

September 29, 2009 at 7:52 pm
    quote Kevin Flowers:

Chris
    i think Bret said the Metallic is around about 30% more per cart but it is so opaque that the profile tells it to only lay down 40% so is going to cost no more per square meter than normal, CMYK carts are standard white i think is on par with the metallic I personally think it works better as a spot colour on high lights etc so you would use even less.

Kev

I thought the metalic carts were 3 times more than the standard ink
    which works out "about" the same price based on your equation kev

Peter

• Kevin Flowers

September 29, 2009 at 9:09 pm

Pete
    3 times more than the standard ink is going to make one very expensive cartridge. However you could be right i spent more time working out how it worked. I’ll check with Bret but he is on Holiday at the moment.

Kev

• David Rowland

September 29, 2009 at 9:37 pm

very interesting…. the good uv printers recirculate from head to tanks all the time, especially for the white, it needs to be always mixed.

Printing white onto black, well it will be grey 😉

i like the printer idea, and metalic carts being more expensive is no surpirse to be honest, in silk screen the metalics are more expensive and originate from fragments that need to be ground up.

• Chris Wool

September 29, 2009 at 10:04 pm

that’s the point.
    roland were on the phone for me and many others to go and see the printer at there HQ.

i asked how much for the printer and carts and was told they haven’t made there mind up yet. also told i could have one for ages either.

so what a waist of time.
    my other views of this tactic i will keep to myself.

chris

• Kevin Flowers

September 29, 2009 at 10:42 pm

Dave
    the option you have with the metallic because it is so opaque you could lay that down first then the white expensive way to do it but it would probably work.

Kev

• Jason Xuereb

September 30, 2009 at 12:01 am
    quote Chris Wool:

quote Jason Xuereb:

just showing off now 😀

out of interest will it print white to black vinyl ?

i like the sound of this met one but i think they will price it out of reach for a while, and they haven’t said the price of the inks yet.

i am in the market for a new one before too long and this will fit the bill but i am not rushing at it.

chris

I’ve done it on small labels. It looks more opaque if you do an overprint so print the same thing twice. This was on Avery 700.

We run clear through our white machine so that’s what we use it for.

Moving to this new machine makes sense. We have high maintenance costs which these recirculating pumps will reduce significantly. The metallic ink is a bonus.

At the moment My white ink costs are approximately double that of CMYK. I get a 220ml white cartridges for the price of a 440ml CMYK cart. It may a tad cheaper then this.

• Simon.Johnson

October 2, 2009 at 8:13 am
    quote Chris Wool:

i asked how much for the printer and carts and was told they haven’t made there mind up yet. also told i could have one for ages either.

so what a waist of time.
    my other views of this tactic i will keep to myself.

chris

Hi Chris, If you can make it to Clevedon for the open day on 6th or 7th I can guarantee you will have all the pricing information, delivery schedule and I will even show you the latest "Trace" option in Wasatch which might finally persuade you to upgrade your ColoRIP.

In my view, it will be worth the time spent visiting the open days to see this new technology. If you currently do the design as well as the print for your customers, the real benefit of the XC-540MT is that you can create and sell a design that can’t immediately be undercut by everyone else with a Wide Format Printer. Because of this, one thing this technology may do in the short term which has not been advertised anywhere is to help you to retain margins on your work!

• John Thomson

October 2, 2009 at 8:53 am
    quote Chris Wool:

chris

We were told these will be ready to deliver in the UK next month.

John

• Chris Wool

October 2, 2009 at 9:09 am

no my point is

a Roland Representative rang me to invite me to see a machine that they couldn’t give a price for nor running costs nor delivery date.

he was told to ring me back when he (they) had sorted them self’s out.

i could be very interested but i am not waisting my time.
    i am a big roland fan but they are now waring me a bit thin and have forgotten that i have been buying roland since about 1988.

chris

• Jason Xuereb

October 2, 2009 at 10:30 am
    quote Chris Wool:

no my point is

a Roland Representative rang me to invite me to see a machine that they couldn’t give a price for nor running costs nor delivery date.

i am a big roland fan but they are now waring me a bit thin and have forgotten that i have been buying roland since about 1988.

chris

Price of the machine will be about 10-15% more then the current XC540. Guess depends on your market etc.

I’d anticipate that consumales for metallic will be on par with the white. Slightly more. We’ll see what happens.

• Shane Drew

October 2, 2009 at 12:36 pm
    quote Simon.Johnson:

I will even show you the latest “Trace” option in Wasatch which might finally persuade you to upgrade your ColoRIP.

I really like the new trace option, but an upgrade from 6.3 to 6.6 is $1100 here, and I can’t really justify the expense 🙁 . If Wasatch made the upgrade a more realistic price they may get more takers but this attitude of making the select few pay for R&D is stupid. 👿

• Peter Normington

October 3, 2009 at 7:17 pm

Signlab, illustrator or corel will trace, and from what I have seen on the Wasach site, why do you need to do it in a rip?
    contour cut an image, for me, signlab rings the bell
    (i have all the above mentioned programs)
    Peter

• Peter Normington

October 3, 2009 at 7:21 pm
    quote Jason Xuereb:

quote Chris Wool:

no my point is

chris

Price of the machine will be about 10-15% more then the current XC540. Guess depends on your market etc.

I’d anticipate that consumales for metallic will be on par with the white. Slightly more. We’ll see what happens.

price was estimated by roland uk at £28k
    they say they are pricing it high to give the first buyers an advantage over the competition ?

Peter

Peter

• Jason Xuereb

October 4, 2009 at 1:41 am

That doesn’t seem high Peter based on the prices of the XC540.

• Shane Drew

October 4, 2009 at 5:23 am
    quote Peter Normington:

Signlab, illustrator or corel will trace, and from what I have seen on the Wasach site, why do you need to do it in a rip?
    Peter

Peter, I have CS4, and Corel too, but the trace in Wasatch will save time.

I get clients and other sign shops alike that will send me a photo and want it die cut.

For me to import the photo into my software, had draw a trace/cut line, then export to to my rip all takes time.

With wasatch’s new feature, it will do a cut line around a raster file or a vector file on the fly. Only thing I think it will fall down with is if the background is not a flat colour. Not sure, but can’t see it working if the baground is also multi colour.

• Simon.Johnson

October 5, 2009 at 1:07 pm
    quote Peter Normington:

Peter

Peter, I agree entirely with you that if you already have SignLAB and/or Illustrator or CorelDRAW and you don’t already have Wasatch SoftRIP the benefit of Tracer in V6.6 is limited and would not justify the cost.

Wasatch have added the Tracer option primarily to address new customers moving to a print and cut workflow for the first time. This customer may not already have tools to produce cut paths and this is where Tracer will come in very useful.

For any existing Wasatch SoftRIP user with the Contour Cutting Option who upgrades to V6.6, the Tracer option is included free of charge.

• Tom Davison

October 12, 2009 at 6:04 am

Hi guys,

I’m new here just found this forum after Googling about the XC540. We have the six colour version here, the machine is about 4 months old.

Are the Silver inks interchangeable with the LC or LM inks or is the Silver actually runnable on a standard 6col XC540, or is the XC540MT an entirely different machine?

Many Thanks.

• Jason Xuereb

October 12, 2009 at 6:12 am
    quote bjb.Tom:

Hi guys,

I’m new here just found this forum after Googling about the XC540. We have the six colour version here, the machine is about 4 months old.

Are the Silver inks interchangeable with the LC or LM inks or is the Silver actually runnable on a standard 6col XC540, or is the XC540MT an entirely different machine?

Many Thanks.

In effec it is a different machine which is based on the XC540 platform. The new XC540MT has recirculating pumps. With your current XC540 you can run three modes.

CMYKLcLm
    CMYKWW
    CMYKMY I think it is

If you want to run the metallic in addition to the white you will need the new machine. It has recirculating pumps etc which cut down on the maintenance greatly.

• Tom Davison

October 12, 2009 at 6:15 am

We don’t run white ink now,

Is it a requirement alongside the metallic? Also are the recirculating pumps purely a maintenance-saver or are they necessary.

Basically is it at all possible to run the metallics on our machine, even just for a short time/small run or test?

• Jason Xuereb

October 12, 2009 at 6:17 am
    quote bjb.Tom:

We don’t run white ink now,

Is it a requirement alongside the metallic? Also are the recirculating pumps purely a maintenance-saver or are they necessary.

Basically is it at all possible to run the metallics on our machine, even just for a short time/small run or test?

It’s not going to be possible.

The recirculating pumps are to ensure the heads dont get clogged from the metallic and white inks. At the moment with the normal XC540 using the white has high maintance costs because the ink is purged and not reused. This equates to very high maintenance costs.

Maybe one day they will start retro fitting older XC’s or maybe someone might but I doubt Roland are going to do this anytime soon.