Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vehicle Wrapping NEW Avery MPI1005 EZ RS – Low Tack

• NEW Avery MPI1005 EZ RS – Low Tack

Posted by George Kern on February 2, 2007 at 4:22 pm

Just took delivery of our first roll of Avery’s new material. Supposedly you can reposition the material on the surface and move it around for up to 1 minute, then the adhesive sets. I will post some results later on or possibly tomorrow how the material prints and how it installs and include some pictures. The downfall . . . this stuff is not cheap.

Oliver Röhler replied 16 years ago 8 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • Martin Pearson

February 2, 2007 at 4:37 pm

George, when you say move it around do you mean just lift it off and put it back down or do you actually mean move it around as you could with a wet application? Cost may be more but if it leads to quicker installs then it may work out as a better option in the long run.

• George Kern

February 2, 2007 at 4:46 pm

Martin, put it this way…I just stuck this to a piece of printer paper…and peeled back off without it remotely sticking. I then reapplied it used the heat gun after squeeging it down and it was secured. The only way I could describe this adhesive is like the glue on a Post-It. It seems to be very promising.

• autosign

February 2, 2007 at 6:04 pm

I thought you can pull off/reposition the usual EZ vinyl anyway? I know we did when we did a Vivaro van with it.

• Robert Lambie

February 2, 2007 at 6:17 pm

sounds great george, i for one would be very interested to hear how you get on mate. not something i ever see myself using but im a nosey git, and like to hear other peoples views on products, especially as its something you guys do allot of. 😀

• George Kern

February 2, 2007 at 7:17 pm

Robert, I would be happy to take a quick video of the material being applied and removed. So far I have purposely squeegeed the material to the adhesive side of another piece of this and it pulls right off without fail every time without stretching the vinyl what so ever, lays perfectly smooth without wrinkles or bubbles.

• Robert Lambie

February 2, 2007 at 7:56 pm

george, that would be excellent mate and very kind of you to offer.
    do whatever you wish and let me know and we can sort out organising it to be loaded onto our video server. doesnt matter how long or short the footage is… the server will deal with it fine.

any further questions etc feel free to contact me at admin@uksignboards.com 😀

• George Kern

February 2, 2007 at 9:42 pm

I know this isn’t the most difficult thing in the world to wrap, but it was the only object I had laying around to try this material out on. This required no heat, and no tools (except the knife to trim the vinyl) but this material allowed me to massage the vinyl over the dimples of the basketball with no problems. Not bad i must say.

Attachments:

• Robert Lambie

February 2, 2007 at 10:31 pm

not bad? for NO heat its bloody damn impressive if i say so myself! 😮

I’m saying this from the point of view the material seems very supple… I’m disregarding the adhesive at this point,

• George Kern

February 2, 2007 at 11:19 pm

it is extremeeeeely soft and plyable and did not tear easily at all like I was expecting. When I tried it a second time and applied heat . . . well lets just say that the vinyl shrunk right around the ball without me even massaging the vinyl into the dimples and channels of the basketball. This product has a lot of potential for vehicles with deep recesses and difficult compound curves. I printed a sample of our hi-res image we use in our brochure and I must say the results were great. The same quality as we expected from the old material, no re-profiling or anything of that nature.

• autosign

February 2, 2007 at 11:34 pm

It may go in the recesses well but will it stay there? That seems to be a complaint with some people with the EZ stuff.

• George Kern

February 2, 2007 at 11:41 pm

The biggest problems with EZ materials in my own personal experience came from people just applying the material without proper heating, bad surface temps, improper surface prep. We did have one person come back for a minor spot (aftermarket body kit on the car) who had extremely deep recesses and in the one spot it did lift up, released the air from the pocket heated it down, and the guy hasn’t been back since.

• Bruno Raworth

February 3, 2007 at 2:56 pm

I agree George, we’ve done over a dozen wraps with EZ apply & had no failures at all, just need to make sure everythings REALLY clean!

• George Kern

February 3, 2007 at 6:27 pm

It’s like a $10,000 paint job w/ a $10 prep job. . .just doesn’t make any sense. It doesn’t matter how well you wrap a vehicle, if you prep it like s*** chances are in a few months thats how it will look.

• Bruno Raworth

February 3, 2007 at 6:49 pm

Damn straight!!

• iSigns

March 10, 2008 at 4:25 am

The Avery EZ RS is great, it is all I use. You can actually slide it around on a hood or roof without it sticking. Matched with Avery DOL 1000 Laminate it looks smoother and glossier than most factory paint jobs. Unlike the waffle pattern you got with the old 3M Control tack. By the way Avery has a new thinner laminate DOL 1030 1.3mil. designed for rivets corrugations and super tight contours and recessed areas.

• Scott.Evans

March 13, 2008 at 10:14 am

This was on demo at spandex open house.
    its so easy to apply.

• Oliver Röhler

April 6, 2008 at 9:59 am

i´ve made a lot of jobs with the new Avery EA RS.
    i´ve made also several trainings with this material.

the first "tack" is really low. easy to "slide" and to reposition.
    in some case "to easy".. in my mind.

you have to squeese the vinyl with 6-8kg on the surface.
    and thats important: squeese it everywhere!
    only with enough pressure on your squeese, the glue is "activated".

it is extremly important for the durability, to heat the vinyl on the "magic" 80°C, after applying it finaly on concave surfaces.
    even all borders has to be well tempered.

the removal is Avery-like easy and without any glue-leavings.

-oliver-

Attachments: