Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers need advice on the pc600

• need advice on the pc600

Posted by jim on September 25, 2002 at 4:41 pm

well iam thinking about buying the roland camm pc600. but i have heard that there is a lot of problems with them, i

if anybody out there use this one and you can give me your honest opinion about it, please can you tell me, i want to know as many of the pros and cons as i can

Robert Lambie replied 21 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Andrew Blackett

September 25, 2002 at 5:08 pm

jim,

has rob paid you to start a post that will get a lot of replies or something 😎 This is a question that many have asked before and it still hangs relatively undecided!!

Price – Execellent for a foot in the door of digital printing.

Print quality – Well, what hasnt been said about this before!! banding is a problem common among all color-camm’s not just the 600. You saw from the stickers I did you a while back, that on small print work like labels etc it isnt noticable enough. If you’re looking to do large scale stuff, then it may not be the machine for you “yes” we’ve done large scale before, but for vans etc, so the print quality is ok from a distance

If you’re made of money, consider an edge, but if you wanna get a kick start with thermal print, then the camms’ the one for you!

Ring Simon Stanley (Lettering Systems Unlimited) on 0191 3874184, tell him andrew from csl told you about him, and you can have a good old natter with him about the pro’s cons/finances etc. And if you ask him nicely you might be able to arrange for you to pop over and have a demonstration from him.

Let me know how you get on mate

ANDY

• Phill Fenton

September 25, 2002 at 6:54 pm

I have a colorcamm – and I am in full agreement with Andy.

It’s good for labels and smaller stuff – not so good on the larger stuff. Its a good way to learn about digital printing without spending a fortune, as well as being a useful tool that will earn you money.
    I sometimes print signs that I would previously have spent time making up from vinyl – so it’s a great time saver as well as offering possibilites that can’t be done with vinyl alone. It’s main drawback are high running costs and a reputation for going through print heads (though I’m advised that thorough cleaning of the substrate prior to printing will keep the head in good shape).

I’m still learning with mine – but having owned it nine months I believe it is the right machine for my current situation.

Co-incidently, I also bought mine from Simon at LSU – A thoroughly decent fellow who went out of his way to demonstrate the machine to me – and who has also provided an excellent back up service.

If you look back at some of the older posts you will see a great deal of discussion about these machines – lots of negative and positive feedback for you to make your own judgement. 😀

• Robert Lambie

September 25, 2002 at 7:16 pm

hi jim
    yes, there are a ton of posts on the pc60 & 600.
    try the search engine at the top, or just go to digi printing forum….
    get the tea on though mate.. theres a few 😉

in short.. well if this is possible for me..

if you want or need to get into digi printing then there isnt really a machine below the pc600.. so to dabble in it this is the best on offer..
    yes running costs can be high but “somtimes” depending on your pricing structure. but then the machine is cheap compared to others on the market.

the edge? yeh another good machine though very very exspensive for what you get! almost 4 times the price of the roland…but on the other hand running costs are relativly low. “so im told”

knowing that you are new to the game or at least having not long set-up i would advise you to try and stick with vinyl for a bit. next year the price of these machines will come down. im sure..based on the fact of the new summa dc3 and the like hitting the market… look like far supperior machines to the others but at a cost of course.

try the back-posts jim see what is being said… but be careful.. if you want to expand the business and get into somthing new then yeh digi is good. but lots to learn… if you wanna just make quick cash then i would say forget it… its a whole new ball game mate…
    🙄