Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl Name of the knife that cuts the back of vinyl?

  • Name of the knife that cuts the back of vinyl?

    Posted by Leslie Anderson on May 26, 2022 at 12:49 pm

    Hi guys, the pest is back! 😬

    what do you call the knife thing that cuts the paper that carries the vinyl?
    you turn the vinyl over and it cuts only the paper?

    i have seen it on youtube but i don’t know the name to buy one.

    thanks for any help. ❤

    Martyn Heath replied 1 year, 12 months ago 6 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • David Gwyndaf Povah

    May 26, 2022 at 2:57 pm

    hello the thing your after is called a bodyguard knife , yello tools do them they will be on signgeer

  • Graham Scanlan

    May 26, 2022 at 5:34 pm

    Hi the most popular used is a Snitty Knife

  • RobertLambie

    May 26, 2022 at 10:18 pm

    There are a few names for the knives, another is a backslitter knife.
    These originally came about for wallpapering and it was paper companies like Muraspec that first introduced them.

    Since then, vinyl manufacturers and associated companies have adapted and improved them to work with vinyl. the main one being the addition of a Teflon coating on the foot of the blade holder. which is the part that would normally run against the wall, but now has to slide between the adhesive of the vinyl and the backing paper.
    having the Teflon coating allows it to glide between the two layers without sticking to the vinyl and snagging.

    There is also double-blade back slitters. again, to aid in the use of large format prints, wrappings etc.

  • Simon Worrall

    May 28, 2022 at 8:03 pm

    Guys I don’t think she means the snitty type of knives, she means the knife with an adjustable blade that can cut to a precise depth and no further.

    I have one in the shop, I will take a look on Monday and let you know what it’s called.


    found it online.
    It’s an Olfa Top Sheet cutter
    Here’s a link to the NZ supplier.
    Must be someone in the UK selling these.

  • Leslie Anderson

    May 29, 2022 at 6:27 pm

    Thank you very much david, graham, robert and simon. ❤
    it was the backslitter one i was meaning. thanks guys!👍

    i do have the snitty one Graham, which i use with my “pride and joy” hp printer! 😀

    i have never seen that knife, simon. but thank you.

  • Martyn Heath

    June 1, 2022 at 5:31 am

    whilst on the subject, the bodyguard style knife, i seem to end up with a sliver of backing paper (blade thickness) that ends up stuck to the vinyl which is a pain to remove and obviously leaves a line under the vinyl. Has anybody come across this problem?

Log in to reply.