Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Roland Printers My Roland SP-540i wont print the colour grey

• My Roland SP-540i wont print the colour grey

Posted by Daniel Prescott on July 26, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Hi all just need a little helping hand cant seem to find anything online but my Roland SP-540i cant seem to print the colour grey iv’e tried a lot of different shades even tried cmyk, RGB and the Roland colour system library but there all just coming out like a greenish colour.

CAN ANYONE HELP ???????

Stafford Cox replied 7 years, 9 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Chris Windebank

July 26, 2016 at 6:06 pm

do a search on the boards, many topics covering this.

In short, you are going to struggle with most greys. Even when you think you got it right put a laminate over the top and it changes again.

Pink and green hues are common. I was advised to seek someone in the trade with a 7 colour machine, its the only way to get better results.

Just taken on a job with over 30 vans, ral powder coated letters, acrylics all in grey and nothing matches each other!

• Andrew Weaver

July 26, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Hi,

I take it that you have tried the different choices : Pre-Presse US, Sign & Display, Max Impact etc in your settings ?
    If not have a go choosing Pre-press US and let me know if that changes anything for you !
    Greys are never easy with CMYK but using the same file, try Pre-Press US and then Sign & Display that changes the outcome quite a lot.
    I tend to find that RVB files come out with brighter colours in Versaxworks than when the file is in CMYK.
    Good luck 🙂

• Robert Lambie

July 26, 2016 at 10:17 pm

I remember about 16 years ago having many issues on this type of thing on our old Roland PC60.
    Similar years later with the Soljet. I cannot remember exact what i did but i remember improving the output a fair bit.
    i could be wrong but one of the things i did was…

within photoshop, crop the image out of the blank, create a new blank and set it to greyscale, paste the image into that, save and try printing the new file. i cannot remember if this was "all i did" or if a combination of a few things. Worth a go!

• Kevin Flowers

July 27, 2016 at 7:44 am

Hi
    this link may help "Rob hope link is ok" but getting grey is a little hit & miss with so many variables that each print can ent up needing tweaking.

http://blog.rolanddga.com/2013/08/15/ho … fect-gray/

Kev

• Stafford Cox

July 28, 2016 at 4:09 pm

I’m not sure what RIP you’re using but disabling the output ICC profile might help. It certainly does in Shiraz anyway.

Stafford