Activity Feed Forums Vinyl Cutter Discussions Graphtec Vinyl Cutters My graphtec ce5000-60 cuts only first 3500mm of a job.IDEAS?

• My graphtec ce5000-60 cuts only first 3500mm of a job.IDEAS?

Posted by Robert Kulawik on July 31, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster.
    I was wondering if anyone experienced similar problems:

While cutting from AI cs4, once the job is setup as longer than 3500mm x 593mm my plotter will ignore the rest of the length and just come back to origin point… It is like the rest was not there in the first place. Then I need to delete what was cut in AI, move the rest to the front and it will get cut no problems… Needles to say, that it screws up the alignment and gives me a headache when cutting for any shopfront lightbox!
    I was wondering whether there is some option I should tweak? I already set up maximum length in the plotter to be 9000mm.
    Any input greatly appreciated.

Robert Kulawik replied 13 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Earl Smith

August 4, 2010 at 7:49 am

Dont know if this will help. I do not have a Graphtec , I have a Roland. But maybe they work the same way.
    The Roland GX24 is set at a default length of 1600cm. If I want to cut a longer piece I have to change the default to whatever length I need. Maybe thats what you have to do with yours.
    Earl.

• Robert Kulawik

August 4, 2010 at 10:44 am

Thank you Earl,

Yes, that was my first though as well and I already changed that to 9000mm. Anyway, the original value was set to 5000mm, so it still shouldn’t cause any issues…

• Chris Wool

August 4, 2010 at 11:39 am

i did not think that illy was able to cut 3500mm with out a separate program to scale up the image. then drive the plotter.
    unlike corel which has the ability to cut longer direct.

does the page limit still exist?

• Robert Kulawik

August 4, 2010 at 11:51 am

Hi Chris,

Yes, there is a page limit of 5779.55mm in cs4.
    I have a Graphtec plug-in to allow cutting from AI.
    But still, I cannot understand why it won’t cut beyond ca. 3,5m? Artwork is fully within artboard and usually between 4 and 5 meters. It would be good to have translucent or frost in one piece 🙄
    Am I the only one with this issue?

• Chris Wool

August 4, 2010 at 12:16 pm

my graphtec windows driver has a limit of 2750mm but this will not show up till cutting.
    cutting master i think is 5000mm or to infinity and beyond. 😀

chris

• Robert Kulawik

August 4, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Oh… that’s new. I wasn’t aware of that limitation- my cutting computer has Win XP installed… However, I’m quite sure, that I had no such problems before… Occasionally something would not cut, but that’s due to me overlooking an odd outline being thicker than rest. I was able to cut longer pieces before… I do not recall messing around with the settings either. While googling for a solution I have read on some tshirt forums, that there is some setting in AI regarding STEPS (?) that needs to match the cutter, however nothing specific… I’m off to hassle Graptec GB then.
    Thank you Chris.

• Chris Wool

August 4, 2010 at 12:53 pm

if your cutting comes out the correct size then the step commands are correct don’t touch.

chris

• Frank Droog

August 5, 2010 at 3:38 pm

The manual says the cutter can do 50 meters in length.
    I dont know if your Graphtec driver outputs HPGL or GPGL.
    If it outputs HPGL, then plot to a File on your harddrive and give it a PLT extension.
    Fire up Corel or some other program that imports HPGL files.
    Import the file and see how big it is.
    If only the 1st 3.5 meters shows up, you know its not the cutter.

• Chris Wool

August 5, 2010 at 4:51 pm

farank well done for reminding me how we used to check file problems.

just been plying with the graphtec windows xp driver and 3250 is the max cut length. used to be 2750 pre xp
    i know that graphtecs cutting master will cut full length.

if you ask in corel to set page size to the driver it puts a stop on any length over 3250.

chris

• Frank Droog

August 5, 2010 at 6:40 pm

In GPGL mode the cutter can be set to 4 differant resolutions.
    254,508,1016 and 2540 steps per inch.
    0.1, 0.05, 0.025, 0.01

If you have a GPGL driver, maybe you can set the cutter for 508 (0.05)
    but set your windows driver for 1016 (0.025)
    Shrink your drawing to half the true size and plot it.
    The cutter will scale it up by a factor of 2 because of the resolution mismatch.

Too bad the cutter doesnt have a scale feature like some others.

• Robert Kulawik

August 6, 2010 at 9:37 am

Thank you very much guys,

Precious tips! I’ll check for the driver and file problems over weekend and report back.

• Alan Wharton

August 17, 2010 at 11:13 am

when i send a cut file to my graphtec the cutter measures out the length of vinyl be fore it starts cutting then returns to start position to begin cutting, as far as i know its mainly set up as default apart from the vinyl length iv changed.

• Robert Kulawik

August 26, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Hi All,

A reply took me longer than I thought, thanks for your patience.
    I did experienced the problem again, this time on a file just 1800mm long! that led me to a conclusion, that it must be file issue as normally I cut a lot longer jobs with no problems.
    What it turned out to be for me is import / export compatibility.
    On my design machine I had rich black set as a default black output (which is mixed CMYK values) and on cut machine all was set as 100k black… When preparing some jobs I would import a vector file from other design, that could be in either black and then, upon saving I would group all and batch outline shapes with a hairline stroke. Because I was not aware of the issue I would not check for black colour values.
    Now, as it turned out, my plotter will not start cutting if a stroke is anything other in colour than 100k black!
    So the solution- just check the stroke colour is 100k black and away I go!

Thank you all for your input and encouragement – it was very much needed and appreciated!

Regards,
    Robert