Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions General Printing Topics Mutoh XpertJet 1641SR – Media cockling!

• Mutoh XpertJet 1641SR – Media cockling!

Posted by Pane Talev on September 18, 2021 at 7:14 am

I have purchased a new Mutoh XpertJet 1641SR.

Same workshop. Same vinyl. MD3, MD5, Arlon SLX. Same conditions in my workshop.

1) I used the new settings that came with the printer – Media cockling happens and the head hits the vinyl.

2) I copied the temperature setting from the old Mutoh – Media cockling happens and the head hits the vinyl.

3) Vacuum in on extra high, I turned off the pre-heater and platen – better results but I cannot rely on the printer for a long print. Media cockling happens and the head hits the vinyl.

Tons of waste and reprints! Very frustrating!

Mutoh knows about the problem. They redesigned and installed additional parts to prevent media cockling on the new models. My model apparently has that – but I honestly hate the printer. I cannot rely on it.

Do you have this printer? Have you solved this media cockling problem?

Martyn Heath replied 11 months, 3 weeks ago 7 Members · 16 Replies
  • 16 Replies
  • RobertLambie

Administrator
    September 19, 2021 at 1:36 am

we can sometimes get cockling of media on our Latex machines but is normally down to cold media put in a hot machine etc and is really just the leading part of the media. once by the mouth of the machine, it prints perfectly fine.

I know you are saying this is a known problem for Mutoh, but can you not return it on the terms of “not fit for purpose”?

• Simon Worrall

September 19, 2021 at 8:35 am

Hi Pane

This is just a shot in the dark, but hear me out…

I know that the rollers on either end of my roland machine are slightly conical, in order to “stretch” the vinyl as it tracks along the print. I assume this is the same on all printers, though based on nothing more than speculation. Perhaps whoever assembled your machine got the rollers swapped round, so they are “pushing” the sides together rather than pulling them apart.

…..?

Just a thought. I cant think of any other reason that a printer would cause the media to cockle, other than what Rob said – cold room, hot printer.

• Pane Talev

September 19, 2021 at 12:37 pm

Thank you both Simon and Robert for your messages.

With purchase of a new printer I expect piece of mind, at the moment I’m not getting that.

To make thinks even worst, I got suggestion from Mutoh: you can print with the head in “medium” and “high”. That is crazy, the quality of the print is compromised as soon as head is raised.

Switching off the heaters is solving the problem but quality is compromised as ink joins together because is not dried fast enough.

Robert, “not fit for purpose” is a good advice (in case I don’t solve this) thanks.

Simon, I will look at the end rollers. Thanks.

• RobertLambie

Administrator
    September 19, 2021 at 4:55 pm

I understand that there are always two sides to every story. Mutoh will have theirs, and you, yours…
    But from what you say, sounds like Motuh is “accepting the fault by their own admission”.
    You are losing money in wasted materials and time. I would ask them to send out a technician to show it actually working 100% to your satisfaction, or you want your money back.
    You have consumer rights and if this machine is faulty or does not do what it should, you have the legal right to return it.

Keep every single misprint aside in bags or whatever. keep a record of the time and jobs you are spending trying to make their machine work. And anything other than support calls, keep to emails.

• Peter Cassidy

September 20, 2021 at 5:20 am

I have to agree with Rob. Also, the longer you try and make do with it, the more you lose in time, wasted materials and as you have said, confidence in using the machine.
    When i buy something new, especially a printer or cutter. you want it to help you sell what “it can do!” not worry if you can actually do a job while still paying for it.

• Sean.Cully

November 3, 2021 at 12:14 pm

Hi Pane
    I have PM’d you regarding the issues you are having with your machine.
    Please contact me.
    Sean Cully

• Pane Talev

November 3, 2021 at 1:35 pm

PM sent.

• Jamie Wood

November 3, 2021 at 1:25 pm

I’d be asking for a refund or replacement. If you get a refund, I’d look at an Epson SC S86000.

• RobertLambie

Administrator
    November 4, 2021 at 1:18 am

I have also heard from a couple of sources that the Epson is a very good machine, Jamie. I did consider it myself but decided to stick with HP.

• Jamie Wood

November 4, 2021 at 9:11 am

We have a couple of them, and they are very good. I did look at HP, but they were several grand more, and can’t hit the Pantones that the Epson can.

• Pane Talev

March 30, 2022 at 4:44 pm

Still head strikes on almost every start. Still frustration. Still no serious action my Mutoh. I’m already in touch with around 10 people around the world who have problem with this printer.

Looks like the vacuum system is not up to scratch. Or the heaters are not consistent.

• Martyn Heath

March 31, 2022 at 5:09 am

Sorry to hear your still having problems. Seems like a very silly problem to have when the xpertjet is clearly just an upgrade from the tried and tested reliable VJ.

I can see bells and whistles having problems with new models but heaters and vacuums sounds crazy.

Very interested in this as im looking into the 1341

• Pane Talev

August 16, 2022 at 7:18 am

Mutoh is on the case finally. There is an additional part that will be installed on my printer to get rid of media cockling. Will keep you posted if this solves the problem.

• Pane Talev

October 26, 2022 at 6:57 pm

Just an update on this.

Mutoh sent engineer and a simple (read: ridiculous and insulting part) aluminum plate was installed on my 1641SR. Now on top of the media cockling, I cannot load media easy because media hits the plate as you load from the back.

Honestly for a moment I think this is a f****g dream. I cannot comprehend that nobody is doing anything.

I’m thinking of cutting my Mutoh XpertJet 1641SR in half with a big grinder as a sign of disappointment to the brand and posting the video on social media using paid features. Grab your popcorn!

• Pane Talev

May 5, 2023 at 9:45 am

Happy to report that after the visit from a Mutoh engineer from Germany (probably the most knowledgeable printer engineer I have ever meet), firmware update and few other things that I have no technical understanding off, my printer had NOT had media cockling for the past few months.

That was a nice example of customer care. Took more that a year, but hey, C’est la vi.

• Martyn Heath

May 5, 2023 at 9:53 am

i dont speaky de french but thats good news👍👍 finally