Activity Feed Forums Printing Discussions Mimaki Printers Mutoh 1304 Banding

• Mutoh 1304 Banding

Posted by David.Smith on March 7, 2013 at 1:30 pm

We’ve had our Mutoh just over 6 months now and it’s just started banding on certain materials, when we bought it we were told there was no special cleaning required as it is set to self clean every 3 hours but I’m beginning to wonder now. Does anyone else run a 1304 and manually clean the head?

David.Smith replied 11 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Sean.Cully

March 7, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Little advice on the Mutoh VJ (I run a 1604)

Keep the wiper clean and the caping station clean so the head seals properly daily.
    Also I would put a splash of cleaning fluid in the capping station weekly this keeps the pump and lines clear.
    Also remove the cover that hides the pump and pipe work and leave of permanantley and jam the microswitch.
    This allows you to see the ink being pulled through.

I also would check that the lines from the pump are clear and the pump is pulling through if this isn’t kept free flowing the ink can block them and it can take a while to clear.

If I had done all this when first purchased it wouldn’t have needed a new head in last month!

SC

• David.Smith

March 7, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Cheers for that Shaun, will give that a try and see how things go. seems odd though just ran 20 meters of banner through with a solid black and not a sign of banding at all.

• Sean.Cully

March 7, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Is the print test OK and all nozzles firing?
    Printed 15 metres of banner this morning and about 10 metres of vinyl.
    Our 5 year old 1604 is a brick and with the new head is like new again.
    You will not see banding as much on banner material as the weave in the material helps.

You can also do a PF adjustment that adjusts the gap between passes.
    But check that all nozzles are firing first.

SC

• Luke Culpin

March 7, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Try unrolling the material at the rear, this has helped is before

• David.Smith

April 2, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Thought I’d update this one, after the problems with it banding it then started leaving big black smudges across jobs. Gave the wiper a good clean with some IPA and ran a cleaning sheet under the head as I could see what i thought was a piece of fluff trapped under it, after a bit of a faff I got it out only to find it was the remains of a rather inky spider….. must have thought it was a lot warmer under the print head than in my workshop, anyway problem solved now and working like new again.