Activity Feed Forums Sign Making Discussions Vinyl Moving from avery 700 to M7-100?

• Moving from avery 700 to M7-100?

Posted by Martyn Heath on November 1, 2018 at 1:38 pm

Hi all. Been using Avery my entire career. 16yrs. During that time it changed from Jac range to 700 range. When this changed i noticed it was harder to weed but have simply put up with it over the years. Its fine on larger stuff but anything smaller than 100mm cap height seems to need finger attention when weeding which slows things down a lot and drives me insane at points. Ive tried many adjustments and speeds to cut but it doesnt get much better.

500 range weeds like a dream. I do remember over the years reading other people complaining that the weeding on 700 is bad compared to other ranges so im pretty sure its not me. So im getting a sample of m7-100 and hoping that it is much better, does anyone have experience of moving from 700 to m7-100?

Vince Brown replied 5 years, 4 months ago 8 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Alan Drury

November 3, 2018 at 8:12 pm

I stopped using Avery because the price kept on increasing as it did when Avery discontinued JAC which considering it was essentially the same film didn’t go down to well here. I moved over to Hexis Suptac5000 which I ‘ve found to be just as good and cheaper and for really big savings look at the Hexis SupTac TRADE range – a high end polymeric but cheaper still.

• David Stevenson

November 4, 2018 at 2:24 am

Not sure which avery we brought in to try, think it was the 700, found it terrible compare to weed compared to oracal 651. Couldn’t wait to get rid of it. Would defiantly recommend oracal

• David Hammond

November 4, 2018 at 6:21 am

Our day to day vinyl is M7 & M7A.

Cuts well, weeds well, no issues installing. Only thing we occasionally notice is the finish of the film.

We’ve a light grey in & its not as glossy as the swatch or the other colours, got a Red last week that was similar.

The other thing we occasionally find is like an orange peel effect in film.

It’s great film at a great price. Others to consider oracal 551. Used some hexis cast film on a job, that was a nice film, only thing I have found with Hexis is when I place an order its either out of stock, or part rolls.

• Martyn Heath

November 4, 2018 at 10:11 am

Cheers guys thats a great help

• Martyn Heath

November 6, 2018 at 6:53 am

Hi all.

So today i received my sample of m7. Cuts and weeds great, 10 times better the 700, it has the backing and feel of avery 500 but hopefully performs same as 700.

My big issue is the finish. WTF is that all about. My sample is black and as david mentioned it has an orange peel texture. In my opinion completely unacceptable but have you guys ever had a customer complain.

Picture shows m7 and 700 side by side

Attachments:

• Chris Wilson

November 6, 2018 at 8:07 am

For the same reason I avoid. Bought some once for a sign. Was pretty disappointed. Thankfully the sign is about 20ft up in the air so not noticeable. I did try giving it a good clean with various cleaners but it stayed the same.

• David Hammond

November 6, 2018 at 10:06 am

We primarily use the M7, and had no complaints.

Our rep said try warming it with a heat gun. If I get 5mins I’ll take a pic of the red & grey we ordered where it’s more a satin than a gloss finish.

• Pane Talev

November 6, 2018 at 10:32 am

The only reason why I use Metamark M7 is because weeds very nice. This is advise from someone who did miles of tiny cut gallery text in the last 15 years. Using Metamark with no complains from clients

• Neil Davey

November 6, 2018 at 10:50 am

I’ve been using M7 for years, it weeds great. I’ve noticed odd issues with the finish but have never had any complaints. It’s on a par with Imagepefect 5700 so I stick to both of these as I’m used to the way they work, very forgiving during application.

• Vince Brown

December 21, 2018 at 5:25 pm

Same here on M7. Metamark are great but I often get the orange peel effect mostly on Black but also Dark grey.
    Again, they advice to warm it up but I don’t feel I should be doing that my end. I need to crack on, not spend time fixing the vinyl’s finish.
    This is my ONLY gripe though. The rest of the time the people and material are great!